Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a God: Civ III Conquest Suggestions

To Firaxis,

I have been with Civ III since day 1 of the game’s release in 2001. I want to say that I am pleased with the announcement of Conquests. I just got back from The Matrix Reloaded and this announcement just topped off my day perfectly. Thank you for all the fun. You have my business for your latest XP.

I have a few concerns and suggestions I would like to be considered.

1)TRADE - I’ve been discussing with a lot of players about a slightly Modified trade system where aside from trading techs, gold, luxuries, resources and workers, a new diplomatic option of establishing a trade route (meant to represent the flow of goods) will be added. Check this thread for more details http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...92#post1988603

2)AI - The AI in Civ III PTW is pretty darned good and I assume with the new slate of features, the programmers will have their hands full implementing and fine tuning the AI needed for the new features. I think the fans deserve a better all around AI too. Just as you guys delivered a superior AI in PTW, perhaps some of the AI lapses (such as worker inefficiency) and others can be fixed. See link for my research into AI worker inefficiency. (http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...ghlight=worker)

3)Diplomacy - I am encouraged by the new feature of “Locked alliances” but please don’t make it a glorified MPP between multiple nations. If locked alliances is IN, then allow for unit trading. Known abuses of this can be fixed by 1) disallowing trade of units outdated relative to the receiver 2) unit trade cap on the lifetime of the alliance 3) Better AI management of its own units. If it gets 3 tanks in a trade and still has 3 medieval infantry somewhere, it should disband its outdated offensive units and have the tanks replace it.

Also, make the UN more political, rather than just an end run kind of thing.

4)PATCHING - I understand Conquests is supposed to work with Civ III standalone. But I assume it will also work with those of us who have both Civ III and PTW. I’d like to see streamlined patching. The way things are currently going, it is likely we will get something like this in our install directory under “Add/Remove programs.”

Civ III > Civ III Patch > PTW > PTW Patch > Conquests > Conquests Patch

I’m no programmer, but I’d have to assume this is a little inefficient, and may take us extra HD room as well as hinder the performance for someone playing Coquests, with so many layers of patches and programs stacking on one another.

If at all possible, can Firaxis include THE OPTION for PTW owners to install a universal patch for Civ III , PTW and conquests? I’m assuming the 1.29f for CivIII is final. And PTW may receive its final patch soon. It would be nice if we could streamline this a little and have something like this instead.

Civ III > PTW > Conquests > Universal Patch

Variances of the patch could also be released for those who only own Civ III and Conquests.

5) Requirements - The Conquests FAQ lists the XP as running on a P II 300 Mhz, same as Civ III and PTW. However, PTW’s manual and readme lists the game as requiring a PII 400 Mhz, despite the Civ3.com FAQ saying otherwise. I have a PIII 450 MHZ, a marginal system, and would appreciate it if Conquests is kept workable in the 300 Mhz limit listed in the FAQ, at least for the map sizes up to 160X160.

6) Related to the issue of Technology. For a marginal system like mine, in PTW, the military screen “F3” is nearly unworkable in the middle to late game when spies are planted. It takes several seconds to scroll one line down to check an AI civ’s military lists. If something can be done to fix this, It would be appreciated.
    Last edited by dexters; May 16, 2003, 03:44.
    AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
    Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
    Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Bump ^

Comment

Erm, what is the use of this thread when we have this one around ?
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Now now, calm down Spiff.

Fact of the matter is, there are about 5 or 6 of these floating around. In varying forms. Some are focuing on tobacco, unit lists, city lists, civ lists, petitions etc. I just decided to put my thoughts into 1 thread, instead making 5 or 6 of them, which I could do if you prefer that.

We're all excited about the new XP. Let's not get tied up with procedure. I'm not spamming or anything.
        Last edited by dexters; May 18, 2003, 02:17.

Comment

hi ,

well there is a solution to this , burn the latest patch on the new XP , burn all the games on a series of cd-rom's or burn them on a dvd

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

burn all the games on a series of cd-rom's or burn them on a dvd
            You better watch what you say. These people have everybody's IP and info and you just advocated 'burning' a copywrighted game...........

Bad Move.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious

You better watch what you say. These people have everybody's IP and info and you just advocated 'burning' a copywrighted game...........

Bad Move.
              Hehehehe.

You mean 'copyright' as in "copy" and "right" - i.e. the right to copy commercially. It originally refered to the exclusive right a person had in printing material for sale. I wonder what a copywright is? The second functional airplane ever built?
              - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
              - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
              - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Re: There is a God: Civ III Conquest Suggestions

Originally posted by dexters

5) Requirements - The Conquests FAQ lists the XP as running on a P II 300 Mhz, same as Civ III and PTW. However, PTW’s manual and readme lists the game as requiring a PII 400 Mhz, despite the Civ3.com FAQ saying otherwise. I have a PIII 450 MHZ, a marginal system, and would appreciate it if Conquests is kept workable in the 300 Mhz limit listed in the FAQ, at least for the map sizes up to 160X160.
                But I just bought a new computer just so I could play PTW!
                My words are backed by... Hey! Who stole my uranium??!!!

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                  hi ,

You mean, Civ III > 1st patch > "paid patch" > 2nd patch > 2nd "paid patch" > 3rd patch......

:-p

Comment

Re: Re: There is a God: Civ III Conquest Suggestions

Originally posted by Quasar1011

But I just bought a new computer just so I could play PTW!
                    Now THAT is dedication.
                    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                      hi ,

well there is a solution to this , burn the latest patch on the new XP , burn all the games on a series of cd-rom's or burn them on a dvd

have a nice day
                      The issue really isn't about concentrating all the patch files into one disc.

I'm simply saying that instead of patching so many damn times, there should be a universal patch so we patch once.

Comment

Originally posted by dexters

The issue really isn't about concentrating all the patch files into one disc.

I'm simply saying that instead of patching so many damn times, there should be a universal patch so we patch once.
                        Hmm, these patches are 'universial' already. Remember that you have 1.16, 1.21 and 1.29 for civ3 but you only need to install the latest.
                        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Read what I say man.

You need a seperate patch for Civ III (1.29f) and PTW (1.21f). And the way things are going, there will be another patch for Conquests.

That's not universal. Far from it.

If you don't have PTW, then please don't comment since you don't know what I'm talking about

Comment

I have PTW, do you still play vanilla civ3? I don't.

There have been no civ3 pathces after PTW was released meaning that I don't have to worry about civ3 patches anymore. By the time Conquests is available my guess is that there will be no more PTW patches either. The only time you would actually need a super-patch would be if you wanted to reinstall all games.

I don't find it strange that you have different patches for different products, even if PTW is an add-on. Anyway, it makes the file-size smaller.

Ideally firaxis would have a 'civ-update' function built into the game so you could download patches automatically when they were available.
                            Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Hmm.. I didn't know it works like that.

I thought you need the 1.29f vanilla Civ III patch for fixes to carry over to ptw.

Are you sure you don't need 1.29f? You may be playing PTW with unfixed bugs in vanilla Civ3

Comment

Working...
                              X