X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come I can eidt the civ3X.bix?

When I tryed to edited it, I keep getting this thing:
    Attached Files
    Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Go into Windows Explorer, go to your civ3 directory (which is shown in the pic ), right click on civ3X.bix, click "properties", deselect "read-only".

Comment

But you should not.

If you wanna make some MOD, you just make a new BIX file, uncheck standard rule flag and start moding.

Later you can start new game with load scenario option.

P.S.
      Firaxis guys also said that changing civ3X.bix file is discouraged.
      That's why it maybe made read only.

P.P.S.
      But if you really, really, really, really, really, really want to change civ3X.bix file, which I really, really, really, really, really advise not to do, only thing you need is to get to Civ3ptw folder, get civ3X.bix properties (right click) and then uncheck read-only attribute.

Comment

ahhh, so, if I wanted to change sopme things (like make oil in plains, allow forest to be mined, etc......) I can't?
        Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

sure you can, just save it as something different then civ3.bix i.e. johnsmod.bix

Comment

When you start the Editor, you automatically open a copy of civ3X.bix.

Comment

Originally posted by 2manyusernames sure you can, just save it as something different then civ3.bix i.e. johnsmod.bix
              And later you can always start new game by choosing load scenario option, instead of new game option.

P.S.
              This is not Civ2, in which you need to change original rules to make your own MOD.

P.P.S.
              How to make a MOD anyway if you ask?

Easy!

Start from creating a new bix file (by clickling of editor icon)
              Then check "custom rules" flag (in scenario menu).
              Then change the things you like.
              And, at the end, save as johnsmod.bix for example.

To play the "moded" game load johnsmod scenario.

Comment

I back up the original bix file in a zip archive and just edit away. I've never had any problems with standard Civ 3 or PTW. Why is it discouraged? Or am I just lucky?
                Regards,
                Col. Rhombus

Comment

First, every next patch will destory your custom made civ3x.bix

Second, every scenario made, which is supposed to use standard rules will reference civ3x.bix for details.
                  Needless to say that scenario will start functoning different then intented.

Third, there is possibility of some bugs, since Firaxis team never intented this file to be changed in any way.

Comment

Player1 :
                    I'm a big fan of custom Civ3.bix, because I like to play on premade maps which don't alter rules. I don't feel like changing the rules of each map that interests me.
                    Of course, the original Civ3.bix must be copied somewhere. And the modified Civ3.bix must be salvaged somewhere when I patch too.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spiffor, you can import the map into your scenario.
                      Seemingly Benign
                      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

I record all the changes I make, so when the next patch comes along, I just put them all back in. Plus, most of my ideas occur when I'm doing this.
                        Regards,
                        Col. Rhombus

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
                          Erm, that's smart
                          I'll do it in the future
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by WarpStorm
                            Or the other way around, by importing mod custsom rules to map bix.

Comment

Working...
                            X