Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PtW as it stands now...

Hi all,

With the recent drop in price for PtW (saw it the other day for 19.99 at Best Buy) is it worth getting.

I only intend to play single player as I have no high speed internet access. With the latest patch is PtW worth getting as an addon to Civ3 single player? Are there any bugs or other issues that still need resolving?
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

PTW single player is nearly flawless right now. It really makes the game a lot better, due to the new civs, a couple new units and buildings. Better barbarian AI, other upgrades that I can't think of at the moment. If you play Civ3, I would recommend getting PTW.

Comment

Absolutely.

The better AI is worth it, especially since it more often understands the modifications you can do in the beefed-up editor. The SP game is nearly bugless too, and it overall adds to the experience
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yep PTW is a great game, I only play single player and so far only have patch 1.14 but IMO its the best that civ has ever been.
        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Nearly flawless SP experience? Just what I'm looking for!

Now one more question. Is hotseat play flawless or is it buggy? The reason why I ask is because I enjoy playing against myself and I did this all the time with Civ2 Gold and Civ2 ToT.
          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

And you could still go for a couple of PBEM games.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

There's lots of nice little additions now. New civs and new improvements make single play more interesting. The editor also has been improved!
              "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
              but when there has been naming
              we should also know when to stop.
              Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

It is not true that PTW is bugless in hotseat. I play hotseat (with myself - 8 players) quite often and there is ahuge bug on breaking deals in diplomacy.

If you break a deal, you can longer see the active deals with the player you broke. It gives a memory error and the game stops.

The same happens if you declare war to a civ when you have any commercial deal with.

This error have been bugging me for a while and really destroys part of the fun.

Btw, does anyone know how to play more then 8 civ's and would like to play 32 if possible....

Comment

3rd trial :
                  For now, it is impossible to play in any multiplayer mode with more than 8 civs. You can only play up to 31 civs in pure SP.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I still can't believe people are so happy with sp PTW. The best part about civ 2 was making and trading your own scenarios. PTW does nothing for you. You still cant make a scenario to save your life with this editor and any hope that they would include some good ones like they did with Civ 2 scenarios is long gone. Who knows maybe they will in the next expansion. More likly is they will tell us they will and charge 29.99 to find out they didnt.

Comment

Originally posted by gunny123
                      I still can't believe people are so happy with sp PTW. The best part about civ 2 was making and trading your own scenarios. PTW does nothing for you. You still cant make a scenario to save your life with this editor and any hope that they would include some good ones like they did with Civ 2 scenarios is long gone. Who knows maybe they will in the next expansion. More likly is they will tell us they will and charge 29.99 to find out they didnt.
                      Today was the day for flames from you, eh gunny123? one here, one in the MoO3 forum?

Why is it suprising that some people could like the game without "real" scenarios? I personally prefer to play the game than tinker around, but thats me. Maybe PTW does nothing for you, but it improves the regular SP game considerably, I'm sorry that its not to your expectations.

Comment

I'll think about it when it's put in the bargain shelf.
                        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I love tweaking, and I love PtW. I'm pissed that it doesn't have EVENTS though. ME WANT EVENTS!

Comment

Single player is very good and highly enjoyable. If you look for a nice SP experience, get it.

Multi player is ... well ... let's say it nice ... it doesn't work. Even PBEM games tend to get unstable and to crash after a while. And since it has the word "Multiplayer" on the box, it is far from being ready.

Comment

Ditto with Sir Ralph.

I really don'ty care about multiplayer. I bought PTW for the added civs, assorted single player features, new units and the more refined AI.

I have this thing about facing off with the best AI Firaxis can come up with. While A lot of people laugh at it and say this or that about how stupid the AI is, I've come to respect the AI for what it is. A highly impressive set of "if then" statements that is supposed to run on my antiquated PIII 450. And putting up a good challenge at that. It is even more impressive if many of the known HUMAN CHEATS (like reloading from saved games, restarting new games to get optimal starting locations) are not used.

In anycase, since there is at least another patch for PTW, I figure it is worth having it to get the most tweaked AI.
                              AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                              Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                              Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

Working...
                              X