Anyone use Explorers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use Explorers?

I've found explorers to be completely useless. Every time I use them to explore an enemy's territory it starts an international incident. And by the time I get them most land is taken - so they suck big time.
    Only feebs vote.

Not often... I have used them as *extraordinary* pillagers however.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I use explorers... to draw my pirate custom unit
      Attached Files
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

nope

Comment

A good solution that the explorers appeared with the cartography.
          El futuro pertenece a quienes creen en la belleza de sus sueños.
          - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I use them.

Excellent and cheap pillagers.

P.S.
            And nothing more, since there is nothing to explore.

Comment

I pillage with Cavalry, as I'm usually not expansionist.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                I pillage with Cavalry, as I'm usually not expansionist.
                explorers aren't scouts.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

6 tiles movment is better then 3 tiles movment if you try to pillage resources deeply in enemy territory.

And they are expendable (with their minor cost).

Comment

hi ,

give them an attack value of one and use them to fight barbs

they are great for pillaging and keeping a tab on the AI's units etc , .....

have a nice day
                    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Or how about create a new unit such as a sort of special forces unit and have the explorer upgrade to that? Give the explorer at least 1 attack so they can handle barbarians.
                      "When we begin to regulate, there is naming,
                      but when there has been naming
                      we should also know when to stop.
                      Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"

Comment

I think they're pretty worthless since there are very few cases when I pillage and for that I generally use a defensive unit...
                        Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
                        So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
                        rocking on everest

Comment

I think of them as "saboteurs" and usually build either 2 or 4 of them each game (as a reserve "insurance" force to be used if needed). I actually use them only about 5% - 10% of the time. Even in the age of RR a pair of them can penetrate 5 tiles into enemy territory and still pillage a resource, which means any undefended resources (luxury or strategic) within 5 tiles of a border are toast. Since they have no A/D values, they can frequently cross large stretches of neutral territory (ignoring the request to leave) without being forced to "leave or declare war." They're cheap 6-move units -- not much value for exploring (given where they arrive in the tech tree), but of potential value for deep strikes behind enemy lines.

Catt

Comment

exactly

P.S.
                            If only Conquistadors were a little bit cheaper (like 50 shields).

Comment

Never used them

PS
                              Can they travel trough RR?? In patch 1,07f they couldn't!

Comment

Working...
                              X