Blackmail (And the Aftermath)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackmail (And the Aftermath)

In response to a PM I sent to BH regarding our tech trading with other teams. It will certainly make other foreign contact interesting.

Trip and BFM - here is the deal on the table. We have already had to pay a large sum to GS as part of this deal, and to keep them from destroying you. This deal is being done to ensure your survival. I would advise you not 'look a gift horse in the mouth'. Patience is wearing thin on our side. Construction would have been due to come to us anyway as part of the previous deal, and from what you have said, it won't be available for quite a while as it is. Keep in mind who your friends are here. The deal:

Lux and Vox agree to the following:

1. Vox gives writing to Lux in 2 turns.

2. Lux starts paying Vox 2 gold per turn for 20 turns upon receipt of writing.

3. Vox gives map making to Lux when it is available. This will be approximately 12 turns.

4. Lux gives its world map to both Vox and GS the turn after it gets map making.

5. Lux gives construction to Vox when it is done.

6. This deal is non-negotiable by Lux.

This agreement does not negate or replace Lux's obligations under the previous accord agreed-to by Lux and Vox - the Portia Accord.

This agreement does not negate or replace any agreements or stipulations in place between Lux and GS or Vox regarding unit movement and placement.

.... BetaHound, Voice of Foreign Affairs, Vox Controli

So - if my count is correct - for saving you from destruction, lending you a city and hurting our own economy for 40-50 turns, risking that city to future cultural conversion because of foreing occupation, upsetting the status quo on our own continent, and giving you writing and map making now when you most need them, we get 190 gold (a sizeable portion of which we have had to give to GS), and six future techs, 3 of which are doubtful because of the free tech for scientific civ issue. Your pledge of future friendship is also now in serious doubt as our very first experience with Lux on the new continent is to have them bite the hand that feeds them and start negotiating with others for 'better' deals. I don't recall anyone from the continent stepping forward to save your bacon a few turns ago. But now you want to start dealing with them when we have guaranteed you the technology you need - at a more than reasonable price. Please think hard about this. The hawks in the Voxian senate are restless.

...BetaHound, VFA, Vox Controli
    To put things lightly, I'm fuming. I haven't even been this mad at GF or GoW.

Friends indeed... we'll see what kind of friends we are after we've moved to the Legoland continent...

I sent messages to GoW and RP informing them that our deals for Writing and Map Making will not work. I asked GoW to present another deal for our Worker before they play their turn (so we can recieve payment first, otherwise they can capture our Worker without paying us anything), and I told RP that I hope our future tech trading situation won't be impacted.

Comment

We only have these issues because the other @#$%ers won't keep their @#$%ing mouths shut the @#$% up!!!
      "If you're not having fun, then you're losing the game."-Copyright Warrior Poet 11/18/2002 "No plan survives first contact with the enemy."-Tsun Tzu -Don't know when B.C.

Comment

GoW is very interested in the situation. I had to explain the cancelling of the trade, so I told GF we were being blackmailed, but not any other details.
        Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

I sent this to Vox:

Hi Beta,

Just a short note: I'm not 100% up-to-date about all information regarding our deals. Trip told me he's going to reply to you, or maybe he has already.

One thing though: we can get MapMaking rather cheap. Maybe you would reconsider this option? I'm not sure whether you are researching it yourselves (in which case we should get it from you), or that you're buying it (in which case we can get a better deal). Anyway - let's be open on this issue, and try to work out what is best for both our civs!

BFM
          Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
            GoW is very interested in the situation. I had to explain the cancelling of the trade, so I told GF we were being blackmailed, but not any other details.
            This will be difficult to work with. GoW will want to know how we're being blackmailed, etc. but there's nothing we can tell him. I still don't trust GoW as far as I can spit, and they're still #1 on the revenge list.

Comment

Obviously Vox is taking advantage of our week position. Essentially they are blackmailing us into not attempting to trade with anyone else, even though with certain exceptions (i.e. no trading Map Making or Writing) that was not in the deal. Unfortunately, there isnt much we can do other than basically submit to what they want. The only thing important right now is getting to Legolands continent. We should be very careful about adhering to the letter to the agreement. Even suggesting a possible deal in techical violation of the agreement could get back to Vox. My guess is the RP offer relating to writing somehow got to either GS or Vox. For now on if someone offers a deal in violation of an existing agreement, we must say no immediately, but only say we do not want to make that deal at this time.
              Last edited by CiverDan; March 3, 2003, 18:00.
              Citizen of the Apolyton team in the ISDG
              Currently known as Senor Rubris in the PTW DG team

Comment

I've talked with BetaHound about these things. To put things lightly, I've repaired the situation, and the 'blackmail' situation has been eliminated. More info later.

Comment

Okay, this is how things are.

I talked with BetaHound, and he said that the Map Making deal with GoW is a go. Vox forwarded us 20 gold this turn (we'll be getting 20 gold from GS the next turn to cover the cost). I sent GhengisFarb a PM, and we need to work out an official agreement before we play the turn (so that GoW doesn't betray us by stealing our Worker, since their units are adjacent to our Worker). I'm writing up an official draft now, which I will post here then send to GoW.

Comment

Due to the changing situation, and our regained ability to trade with you for Map Making, as per your original offer, this is the official treaty which we have to offer you. It must be ratified by both teams before Lux plays its turn, meaning that GoW needs to reply within approximately 18 hours with an official response. Failure to do so will lead to the disbanding of the Lux Worker on the main continent, and cessation of further discussions as per this offer.

On this turn (1425 BC), the Glory of War and Lux Invicta teams agree to the following, which, when accepted in an official manner by both teams, will become a contract of law and non-negotiable under the terms laid out.
                    • On the turn of 1400 BC, the Glory of War team will capture the Lux Invicta Worker which remains on the main continent, and, subsequently, on this same turn, offer Lux Invicta peace. When Lux Invicta receives the save, it will offer a sum of 40 gold in addition to the peace offered by Glory of War, accepting the offer when it sends it back.
                    • On the following turn, 1375 BC, Glory of War will then accept the peace offer, leading to a cessation of all further hostilities between the two teams until war is re-declared, and the conclusion of the first half of this trade deal.
                    • When the Civilization Advance "Map Making" is finished being researched or is acquired by the Glory of War team, on that turn it will offer this tech to Lux Invicta for no cost, accepting the offer on that turn.
                    • The following turn, Lux Invicta will accept the offer sent by Glory of War, finishing the deal, and leading to an expiration of this contract and all of the terms which it lays out.
                    A failure to abide by the exact steps laid out in this agreement will void the agreement, giving the other team the ability to do whatever it wishes in compensation to the team which voided the agreement by its actions.

This agreement is binding, and will last until the final step is enacted.

Comment

Any response yet? We have the turn now (but I'm at work and do not have the game so I can't see what's been going on).
                      Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Looks good to me.
                        "If you're not having fun, then you're losing the game."-Copyright Warrior Poet 11/18/2002 "No plan survives first contact with the enemy."-Tsun Tzu -Don't know when B.C.

Comment

Got this from Ghengis:

Surely Vox can cough up another 40 gold or Philosophy to sweeten the deal since your two civs are both getting this?
                          I also sent a reply to BH informing him of this, and await his response, both of those PMs you can find in the Vox thread.

Comment

Pah. If he wants to deal with Vox, let him speak to Vox.
                            Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

And so he will. The deal was agreed to with an addition saying that we will not trade/give Vox Map Making until Vox and GoW can discuss the situation. Luckily, that means things are now in Vox's hands, and we will get Map Making from GoW either way.

Comment

Working...
                              X