Ok guys heres my call on what we should do long term. I think we are all agreed that the first thing we need to do is find some good land to settle on.
I've been playing some games however.... in fact I've played the early stages of 7 games set up the same way as our own. I've basically played until i've made contact with the other civs and exchanged maps. Where we are compared with other generated maps does not bode well for us. This band of jungle/desert is normally fairly wide and doesn't contain much good land. This is why I think once we have built 2 warriors we should try and churn out a worker or 2. As soon as we get started clearing that jungle the better off we will be. There is no guarantee that good land will be anywhere near our palace.
Another thing I noticed from the games I played is that 6 out of 7 times, Carthage was on a continent/island by itself. Either a smallish island or a big continent. The only time I was close to a civ was Spain, on the other side of a huge continent. Whether or not this means anything in out current game remains to be seen but its food for thought.
As a result of all this research I can see 3 possible scenarios.
1. We are in the middle of a ton of crap terrain which is going to take time to clear/expand beyond.
2. We share a continent with one or more civs, probably to the north or south and therefore on good land.
3. We are on our own.
Before the game started I would have taken anything over 3 but if it turns out we are on our own then this is our best chance. Our early develoment may be stunted but isolation will give us time.
Sorry for the length of this, i've been thinking too much this morning!
I've been playing some games however.... in fact I've played the early stages of 7 games set up the same way as our own. I've basically played until i've made contact with the other civs and exchanged maps. Where we are compared with other generated maps does not bode well for us. This band of jungle/desert is normally fairly wide and doesn't contain much good land. This is why I think once we have built 2 warriors we should try and churn out a worker or 2. As soon as we get started clearing that jungle the better off we will be. There is no guarantee that good land will be anywhere near our palace.
Another thing I noticed from the games I played is that 6 out of 7 times, Carthage was on a continent/island by itself. Either a smallish island or a big continent. The only time I was close to a civ was Spain, on the other side of a huge continent. Whether or not this means anything in out current game remains to be seen but its food for thought.
As a result of all this research I can see 3 possible scenarios.
1. We are in the middle of a ton of crap terrain which is going to take time to clear/expand beyond.
2. We share a continent with one or more civs, probably to the north or south and therefore on good land.
3. We are on our own.
Before the game started I would have taken anything over 3 but if it turns out we are on our own then this is our best chance. Our early develoment may be stunted but isolation will give us time.
Sorry for the length of this, i've been thinking too much this morning!
(7 turns is the time the city needs to grow). Our growth is our best, and maybe only, asset in our starting location, and making Legopolis a settler farm is the way to go : we produce settlers 6 turns faster than the others
If we work jungle tiles early enough during the Jungle Colonization, our cities there will be as productive as our cities on the Savannah.
... there seems to be at least one more acceptable city site East of Legopolis. And yes, we should start clearing jungle only when our workers start running out of better assignments. And use worker stacks, that's correct.
Comment