Resignation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resignation

I hereby announce, that this is my last week as player for Gathering Storm. I will continue to watch for incoming turns till next Sunday (April 13th). This should be sufficient for another player to step up the table, if necessary. Which I doubt, by the way. Nathan does very good work, so why not make his work easier by not forcing him to write down every single move? This is already very hard and will be next to impossible, if our empire grows yet more. I think the best way is just to let him play as he decides, that's easier for him and all of us.

The reasons of my resignation are both lack of time and, frankly, lack of will to continue. In the past four to six weeks I hardly participated anyway other than playing occasional turns, so my impact on the game in its current state is near to naught. Since I have a family and a full time job, which takes all my skills, I want to relax in my spare time, I just want to have both a challenge and fun. Unfortunately, the latter part is in this game (and especially our team) completely missing. It's not a game anymore, but rather something dead serious like a second job. Although this is certainly good for our strength and prosperity, it is not the kind of entertainment I'm seeking. The balance between fun and challenge is seriously out of order. I'm aware, that others may (and will) disagree, but that's what I'm honestly feeling. Maybe one or the other can understand me.

Please note, that my retirement has nothing to do with my team state in the ISDG. Don't even ask about it. Due to my lack of time I'm almost completely inactive there, my last post in the Webring forum was some 2 or 3 weeks ago. I will continue to participate in GS, mostly in the upcoming military part of the game, leaving the economy to the bean counters . I served the team more than three months as one of the players and give up this position without hard feelings. And I truly hope, nobody bears hard feelings towards me.

I was kind of expecting this after yesterday.

Thanks for all your service Sir Ralph, you did a great job. I'm sure you'll continue to be a valuable member of the team, especially with the prospect of war on the horizon.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Now now, you don't want to make us bury you under the Great Pyramid...
      Just kidding
      Sir Ralph, I completely understand how you're feeling. No hard feelings or anything - you've served the team well, and put a lot of time and effort into it, and I would never expect you to go on if you don't enjoy it anymore.

Thank you for your great service.
      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I'm sorry to see you go. I may get annoyed with you on rare occasions, but by and large, you've been a very definite asset to the team. On the other hand, I can understand your reasons for leaving; there are too many times when GS seems like a second job to me too.

I do think we need at least one backup player in case I'm out of town for a few days or otherwise not available to play turns in a timely manner. Any volunteers?

Also, as Sir Ralph alluded to, it's getting to be a royal pain for me to plan out and write down all my orders for every turn in advance. What I'd like to start doing, if it's okay with the team, is have Aeson fill in suggested economic moves in the Economic part of the turn threads (if he's willing to take the time) and then I can deal with things when I play the turn, posting a list of actual moves when I do. That won't give the team quite as much chance to see my plans before I make moves that might differ from Aeson's suggestions, but it's what I have the time and mental energy to deal with if I'll be playing all or almost all the turns. (Maybe, eventually, Aeson or I will get around to gaming out and posting an exact sequence of moves over a number of turns into the future, but I always seem to have enough to do just handling current matters.)

Nathan

Comment

I just want to have both a challenge and fun. Unfortunately, the latter part is in this game (and especially our team) completely missing. It's not a game anymore, but rather something dead serious like a second job.
          Ack! Maybe we are taking this thing too seriously.

Anyway, thanks for all you've done to this point, Sir Ralph, and I hope that you may find it more fun as just a rank 'n file member of GS.

-Arrian

p.s. As for Nathan's suggestion, I'm fine with it. You have my trust Nathan, and are doing far too much work as it is. If that makes it easier on you, great.
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm Sorry to see you go, you are definitely one of the main pillars this team stands on.
            It does seem like the pace and style of the game is getting to hectic- diplomatically and economically.
            The good news (for me ) is that i'll soon be gone for some 20 days, so i'll have time to rethink and cool down. I am already anxious to return, so don't think i plan to leave...

Btw, i also think some sort of solution must be found to make the day-to-day management of workers and laborers easier, even at the cost of less involvement and careful consideration in each game turn, so we would more time for the less tedious parts of the whole game experience.
            Save the rainforests!
            Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

You added a lot to this team, I'm sorry that you aren't enjoying it anymore.

Good luck, I hope you can stop by occassionally.

Comment

Cheers, SirRalph.

Pull up a pew up here in the peanut gallery. Some great seats.

(\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Bad news indeed

Well, we did agree back then on rotating positions from time to time, perhaps we should do this more in order to prevent fatique
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

ATTEN---TION!!!!

HAND-SALUTE!!

Good... no, great! job, SR!

Re team mechanics: I trust whoever's around to do the right thing.

Now, my friends, let's have some Spartan fun!
                    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                      Now, my friends, let's have some Spartan fun!
                      I will have to pass, I've heard what "Spartan Fun" is all about.

Comment

I really give you credit for giving notice...

I on the other just droped of the cliff of RL. I have no time to immerse myself in Civ

Is is all fine. In fact its all really good (sans civ), just absolutly no time except for a little lurking.

Salute to Sir Ralph
                        Cheers for Gathering Storm for there's a Storm a'brewin'...

Mss
                        Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Comment

Nice avatar, Asleep! I like Nathan's & FP's too.

Maybe I'll get in on the avatar wars, but I'm biding my time right now. I think I will wait for a city capture shot.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I didn't so much get into the avatar wars as finally figure out an avatar I wanted to use. I never got around to creating an avatar before, and it occurred to me that a GS WC would be a nice one.

Comment

Heh.

I may ask Donegeal if I can use the "Grog on Tank" picture he made as my avatar. It fits.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                              X