Aeson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome aboard Mr. Aeson!

If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Thanks everyone! It may take a while before I can catch up, this forum certainly has been busy.

Comment

Welcome Aeson!

If you provide me with your email address, I'll include you in the official GS mailing list. And I send you the latest screenshots, they'll help you in understanding the threads.

Comment

GS philosophy in a nutshell:

Organization:

Team founder is notyoueither, he also has the power to authorize new members and mod power in the private forum.

We have 2 players, nbarclay and me. De facto we have a third, Meshelic, but he hasn't been around for some time. The players prepare the turn threads and play the turn according to the leaders of the sections and the discussions in the turn threads.

Sections ("Scholia") are three, Military (Spartan Academy), Economy (Adam Smith Foundation) and Diplomacy (has it got a name yet? Perhaps Marco Polo's embassy? ). We have special envoys to each of the other teams we contact.

All in all, we try to meet our decision in a consensus, we seldom post polls.

Comment

Welcome, Aeson. I think our shield looks good on you! I could use a copy of your e-mail address too for when I'm the one sending out screenshots and such, if you want them sent straight to your e-mail rather than picking them up from the "Gathering Storm Top-secret Mailbox."

A few economic notes that will make more sense once you see the screenshots (since I'm currently chief economist of the team):

- Eye of the Storm, our capital, has a granary and can crank out two-turn workers or five-turn settlers when it's full size and isn't suffering from disease. (We somehow got hit with two back-to-back diseases recently, and the city is currently climbing back from that.)

- Hurricane is our second city, built with a free settler from a the only hut we found. (Nice luck, isn't it?) We recently built a barracks there while preparing for a possible war with Vox Controli, but now that we and Vox are at least short-term partners, we're looking at using it for a wonder city. Until a couple turns or so ago, we were planning to pump it full of workers from EotS (our standard abbreviatioin for Eye of the Storm), and maybe try to get a couple workers from Vox, and build the Great Library there. But between disease in EotS and the fast pace of research in general, that is starting to look less worthwhile, so one of our most burning questions is what wonder, if any, to build there and how hard to push it. (Joining workers would speed up a wonder but slow down our REXing.)

- We have a treaty with Vox predefining our borders, so REXing isn't as pressing as it would be under other conditions. Personally, I'm a little bit nervous about slowing down our REXing too much though because Vox might resent the treaty if they fill in their area and we haven't filled ours.

- We're planning a second granary-powered settler/worker pump in our third city, Cyclone. With a mined wheat and a chopped, irrigated game tile on grassland (once the chopping and irrigation get done), I'm expecting it to be able to crank out 4-turn settlers and 2-turn workers when it goes online.

- We're about to get Writing and have an arrangement where we'll research Code of Laws while Vox researches Philosophy in preparation for our going for Republic. Since happiness is operating at Chieftain level, Republic should be highly profitable. We're also hoping to trade Code of Laws to RolePlay for Literature, but they aren't willing to commit to deals in advance.

- We have a deal with Vox that each of our teams will give the other all techs discovered (whether through research or through trade) for the time being; they can't research as fast as we can, but the fact that they had a monopoly on contact with us until this turn gave them a trading advantage that offset that. And since they're a scientific civ, keeping the deal going at least into the early middle ages could give us access to their free tech.

- We have horses, but since we're on a two-civ land mass and have developed a peaceful relationship with our neighbor, we haven't been in a huge hurry to hook them up. (With plans to use Hurricane for a wonder, we won't be able to build veteran military units again until Bolderberg finishes its barracks in any case.)

- Our most recent city, Tempest, is intended as a relatively low-powered worker pump for the time being (eventually using two flood plains and an irrigated plains to produce 5-turn workers). It could become a nice wonder-producing city later with all the hills around once we get out of despotism and get an aqueduct built. By the way, the main reason Tempest is where it is is that it's sitting on a hill with gold.

---

I hope this helps you a little in getting up to speed, and again, welcome to the team!

Nathan
            Last edited by nbarclay; February 13, 2003, 18:34.

Comment

Aesons email is in the "Top secret mailbox" thread.

Comment

Thanks for the rundown. A settler from our only hut... as a non-expansionist... that's very nice! How come we haven't won yet?

Do we have an overall map anywhere? In the mailbox I could only find ones of our territory and a very small territory map from Vox.

Comment

This is turning into Alva's long awaited history thread

Welcome, Aeson!
                  There's also a combined minimap to share... with all capital positions (Vox we approcimately know, no minimap exchanged) except Lux. But they're somewhere North of ND, NW of Vox.

DeepO

Comment

A quick insight on current diplo issues (besides what Nathan mentioned):

*Vox sold our contact for RPG, and soon to GoW, and ND as well- as it seems from BetaHound's (the Voxian ambassador) last PM.
                    It's good to see so many teams are so interested in contacting us.

*The situation on the main continent (as your probably already know, we share a large island with Vox, and the rest are on a pretty large continent, besides Legoland who are far far east/west- basicaly on the other side of the world...) is getting a bit tense- with what seems like territorial dispue between ND and LI, with an occasional warmongering cries by GoW. This info was given to us by RPG, and recent argument between Trip and Darekill over this issuein the PTW-DG main forum has practicaly spilled the beans publicly.

*Another note on LI- their reputation in the eyes of RPG has seriously declined, after an apparent unvailing of LI tech trading method by GoW: LI was acting as a middleman, with little or no research done by them, they traded techs around. RPG and LI had an agreement on a future tech for tech deal, but LI have failed to deliver their part of the bargain on time, because they didn't manage to obtain it on the market on time (of course RPG didn't know their methods of obtaining techs not through research).
                    Last edited by zeit; February 13, 2003, 20:31.
                    Save the rainforests!
                    Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                      Thanks for the rundown. A settler from our only hut... as a non-expansionist... that's very nice! How come we haven't won yet?
                      EotS has been hit by disease three times (most recently twice in a row, the first time I've ever seen that). If it weren't for that, we'd be something like two cities and two workers ahead of where we are, and Cyclone would be farther along its way because it could have used a worker from EotS instead of having to build its own. The RNG giveth, and the RNG taketh away.

Nathan

Comment

That's harsh. Still looks a little ahead of where a no-settler grassland start would be though.

There's also a combined minimap to share... with all capital positions (Vox we approcimately know, no minimap exchanged) except Lux. But they're somewhere North of ND, NW of Vox.
                        I can't seem to find this? I did find the larger maps though.

Comment

Welcome to the team

Comment

Yay
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Welcome to the team!
                              I'll resend the combined minimap to the team's mailbox as soon as I get home (in appx. 5 hours).
                              "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                              And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                              Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Welcome aboard... it's a lot of fun, but tough to stay caught up.
                                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                                X