Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great History Thread (or, The Lament of Alva the Damned)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great History Thread (or, The Lament of Alva the Damned)

The Grand Poobah spake, and lo, he declared "Let there be Storms", and it was so.

On the first day of the Storm Alva spake unto the Gathering, and he spaketh "I think somebody should make a history thread", and thus he was condemned.

On the second day of the Storm did Alva try and sneakily pass off this responsibility onto other people, especially DeepO. Now harken unto me, for Alva is sneaky and his tongue is forked, but DeepO did not yield.

Thusly were the eyes of the Gathering turned unto Alva, and verily their ears too, in anticipation that he might spake unto them, but they were forsaken.

Alva was loath to accept the mantle of Historian, but he was in error, for he did not harken to the words of the Storm when it first spake unto the Gathering:

The first rule of the Storm is "Thou shalt not talk about flood plains!"

The second rule of the Storm is "Thou shalt NOT talk about FLOOD PLAINS!!"

The third rule of the Storm is "Thou shalt not trade minimaps too early, and without good reason, or thou shalt incur the wrath of the Poobah."

The fourth rule of the Storm is "Let the poor fool who suggests a tedious and time-consuming task be forever doomed to carry that weight upon himself!"

Thus the Storm spake unto the Gathering, and verily the Gathering awaited the continuation of this history thread by Alva the Damned....
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Still not gonna do it though
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I enjoy doing a little creative writing every now and then (in case you can't tell from my exchanges with BetaHound), so I've decided that rather than watch everyone fight over who won't write a history, I'd try my hand at one. I have the first few paragraphs written, but I'll probably want to go through at least a couple rounds of rereading and possible revision before I post anything (since this, unlike my diplomatic messages, is not particularly time-sensitive). And a lot will depend on how often I'm in one of my "creative writing" moods.

Nathan

Comment

Not bad. I like the references to the bible. Its very subtle.
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
          Not bad. I like the references to the bible. Its very subtle.
          Welcome Lawrence of Arabia

on topic:

Comment

And the Storm spake unto ten men, and, in it's glorious wisdom, brought them together as leaders of their people.

And the Storm said it was good.

There was Notyoueither, who was wise and fair, whom was appointed Poobah to lead them to the land of plenty.

There was Sir Ralph, the steadfast, who was his second.

There was Theseus, and Arrian, whom were appointed as commanders of their armies.

And zeit, Deepo, ManicStarSeed and Dominae, men of great skill and devotion whom were appointed as ambassadors to all the nations, glorifying the Storm as it approacheth.

There was Meshelic the Communicator, the one who spoke as highest voice of the Storm for a time, sending journeymen afar to distant lands to bring tales of their findings from other lands.

And there was nbarclay, the one whom was entrusted with their riches to protect, who was wise in what he spent, and what he saved.

As for the others, are they not written in the annals of the halls of records?

For as the Storm "gathered" his people, the people grew in strength and number, and founded a strong and powerful nation, befit for their Storm.
            Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
            Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

If Alva can still avoid this... time to get to work

DeepO

Comment

Creative writing is not a strength of mine. But, if we want to do a listing of team members, I humbly offer this for me:

Name: Arrian or Arrianus
                Titles/Duties: Storm Marshall; Counselor, Adam Smith Foundation
                Brief Description: In the beginning, Arrian was a Marshall of wood cutters and farmers, not armies. With virtually no army to command, he concerned himself primarily with his duties as a member of the ASF, and assisted its brilliant chief, nbarclay, in his efforts to make Eye of the Storm worthy of its name. His one early contribution to things military was the naming of the first Storm Warrior: the great and powerful Grog. Twas to Grog's great honor that it was he who first sighted the many who call themselves One, otherwise known as the Voxians.

If someone wants to toss that and write something more "biblical" they can, but I'm just not that good at it.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

And these ten wise men, conceived in the center of the mightiest storm rose up to lead their people to a fertile flood plain. And thus was founded the Eye of the Storm, the lair of their creation and the center of a holy empire.

Eye of the Storm prospered, its graneries rich in wheat and fruit, its warehouses stocked with wood and bronze, and its markets busiling with gold and trade. From these humble beginnings, entrepreneurial people, known as settlers, decided to set forth to settle the rich lands. The slogan 'Go west, go west, be brave be bold, the lands are free, the hills are gold' came into being, even as the settlers headed east.

These people, the hardy, rugged, couragous frontiersmen, set out into the wild to settle it. After travelling many days east, they come upon the site for a perfect city. And thus was the Hurricane formed.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Actually, Hurricane had another origin... we got lucky, as the only hut popped contained a settler. After that, the plan to go for a pure settler pump strategy in EotS was considerably speeded up.

Oh, but by all means, continue your history, you write a lot more poetical then me

DeepO

Comment

The Eye of the storm also produced great warriors. Fearless, daring, and strong, they too set out to map the vastness of the great blackness. And in the furthest reaches of the north, these warriors came upon a new type of people. These had not yet seen the power of the storm and believed in the Great Poobah.

The stories of the rich lands intrigued the ten wise men. They brought together another eleven men to help run the mighty empire. These leaders decread that a magnificent granery should be built in the Eye of the Storm. Workers went out and built roads to the forests, and the citizens harvested the wood and brought it back to town where craftsmen and carpenters built the structure in the city.

The granery was blessed by the priests. On stormy days, when the wind is howling, and the rain is pelting down, we can hear the Great Poobah speak of the powers which he has bestowed upon this structure: for every bushel of food put into the granery, the Great Poobah will add one himself.

This led to a great boom of food, and soon the city was overcrowded. The people no longer respected the Great Poobah. The Deity's anger grew until his wrath desended onto the city. This led to a great plague which wiped out whole sections of the city. Even as we speak, dissatisfied citizens are forming into settlers and will soon be striking out into the wild. The priests are working overtime, trying to allay the wrat of the god, but they will need a temple dedicated to His name to change The Great Poobah's attitude.

Comment

Sorry guys, wasnt here for the first part of the game.
                        But the bible was written by people who werent there in the beginning, so there are also countless other mistakes.
                        Should I change it?

Comment

The wise men also sent messengers across the lands to look for men good in science, and research. They gathered in the Eye of the Storm to pool their resources and focus their energy on the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X