No announcement yet.

Tactical Scholia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good and balanced view... I certainly don;t want to go it alone.

I just want to be prepared for the worst... a little paranoid even... call me the Russians on the UN Security Council of our builder strategy.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Yes, we need time for the Ind trait and our city placement plans to come to fruition.

I predict right now that we are the biggest score by 1000bc if left unperturbed. I doubt that many others will be willing and able to see the benefits of 2 spacing on SR's plan over the perfection of a perfect grid. We shall see.

I think though, that we should be willing and able to fight at almost all times. It is only by being prepared for the unexpected, and merciless in pressing an advantage that a civ may win through to the end in this sort of set up. But remember, turns lost in a blood letting with a prepared foe are turns lost to all other teams.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Hmm. Like Theseus, in SP play, I use Swords to do some damage prior to unleashing my WC's (I never actually build swordsmen, I built vet warriors and upgrade them. Usually 5-10 of them). That way I can beat up on an AI, extort, and delay my GA.

But this ain't SP. Though I suppose tech trading may happen, it will probably be rare. As will extortion - probably rarer still.

One trade I could see us making is Masonry for something. Do we plan on building the Pyramids? Probably not. Would we like a neighboring civ to build them, then? Hell yes. Even if they just use the Pyramids as a shieldholder for the GL, I like capturing that baby too. Potential drawback: if we trade it to a civ with a 3-defense UU, we won't be capturing much until Knights.

I think we should consider all options. BW is a safe first tech. After that, we ought to have a pretty good idea of what we're dealing with.

If we start next to relatively non-threatening teams and have a good starting spot, we may even want to try the republic beeline after BW (BW, Alphabet, Writing, Code, Phil, Rep, double back for Lit). I figure that if we get a good start (and that is by no means certain), we can out-build anybody with Egypt.

The best situation for us, IMO, would be to end up with room to expand with Legoland as our neighbors. We would probably out-build them, cooperate with them, and then kill them with Knights.

The worst situation I can imagine is to end up next to either GoW or Lux, with little room for peaceful expansion. GoW moreso, because I really could see them picking a very early fight (I really hope they don't pick China... archer rush, ack!).

So many possibilities...

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

If we do end up next to the GoW, I think early war is the way to go.
          With us taking the initiative and preferably with the help help of one other team.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva848
            preferably with the help help of one other team.
            .... with 'help' written twice because it is so important that we try to get some.
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

smeee.....smiee...smeeg....smeeghd......smeeegheee ed
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

you goit!

no, YOU goit!

you're all goits, I'm surrounded by goits!
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Me, a goit? That's the first I hear about it... you were referring to your rl situation, no? (happy strolling through the fields, with the rest of the FP family)

DeepO

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    ....As will extortion - probably rarer still.....
                    -Arrian
                    Rare maybe, but when it does happen, it can be much more effective. People are people and extortion is a very psychological thing. The computer does a terrible job extorting. Its options are too limited. Since there will be no AI, the 20 turn rules do not exist. A civs honor can be purchased and sacrificed at the point of the sword.

Just think of the latter game (assume we are 50% stronger) "We'll take these techs for peace... Oh and by the way, we will pay you a visit in 8 turns and we will demand chemistry. You will hand it over or pay so get moving"

The will have to choose to set up their economy to provid us with the tech or bulk up on military (to the detriment of infrastructure).
                    Now they are playing our game.

This is just one of many examples. Here is another... (Assume we are number 3 as a worst case).. We are kicking number 4's butt, we can't take them out just yet. A valid offer can be "We will give you peace if after 5 turns you turn around and take out number 5 or 6. If you don't, we will be back. No we do not care what prior arrangments you had" This could serve as a way to weaken a few civs while we bulk up a little more preparing to gobble them up.

Mss
                    Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Comment

I can't wait to go to battle... our team name inspires great operational names:

Rolling Thunder
                      Lightning Strike
                      Raging Wind
                      Tempest
                      Downpour
                      Hurricane
                      Tornado
                      Monsoon
                      Typhoon
                      Outburst
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Wait a minute! Aren't we hoping to win this thing without any bloodshed? Am I missing something here?

Dominae

P.S:
                        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                          Wait a minute! Aren't we hoping to win this thing without any bloodshed? Am I missing something here?
                          Of course we're planning to win without bloodshed.

After all, animated armies don't bleed when you kill them.

Comment

"Therefore, one who is skilled in warfare principles subdues the
                            enemy without doing battle..." Sun Tzu

Not to be overly optimistic based on the quality of our team, but we should OWN this game. Battle? Sure... but not warmongering for its own sake.

Comment

Working...
                            X