X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Membership for ManicStarSeed

OK. Let's see if this works.

quoted from another thread:
    Returning to the issue of veto, I propose that any new member must pass a poll, with a twist. Some groups use an interesting approach known as the black ball. In these groups when a membership issue is voted on it is done so with a box containing marbles. There are many white balls and a few black. Each member in turn reaches into the box and deposits a ball into a third compartment. When each has done so, the contents of the third compartment are examined by all. If the deposited balls are all white, the applicant is accepted. If there is a single black ball, he or she is rejected.

That sort of system works with a small number of people. It ensures that no one is forced to coexist with someone completely anathema to them. It does require that people be reasonable and not petty with their choices.

If we do this, then we would post a poll with White, Black, Abstain as the only options. A single Black vote would deny the application. Abstain would have no effect. People granted admission would see the forum and see the number of voters. People denied would never see it.
    Here's how it goes.

Vote White for yes, let him in.
    Vote Black for no, I have very strong reasons for not wanting this person on the team.
    Vote Abstain if you do not care either way.

If after 48 hours there are no votes for Black, and assuming that a reasonable number of people vote White or Abstain, then ManicStarSeed will be granted entrance to the team. A single Black vote would deny entry.

Please let me know here if you think this is a very bad idea for membership issues.
    White
    45.45%
    Black
    0.00%
    Abstain
    54.55%

The poll is expired.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Yes from me. Btw, nbarclay has also asked to be a member, I suggest to put up a poll as well. And there's also some 0-post settler in our CivGroup (forgot the name).

Comment

Actually, there are 2 people who have clicked 'join', but I have no idea who they are. I have not 'buzzed' them in.

nbarclay? Cool. Let's see...
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
        And there's also some 0-post settler in our CivGroup (forgot the name).
        a DL?
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

btw, I voted Abstain on this one since I have no strong opinion either way.
          my only criteria for voting on new members;
          1) do we want/need another member?
          2) is the person in question a nice guy?

for most posters here I'll have no answer to 2) so will probably vote Abstain for them.
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I voted yes in this one MSS is a good choice, and I'm glad he's chosen to be on our team...

THe new criteria I have for members is this : is the person Flash? Or does the new person resemble some of the immature qualities that Flash stood for? If not, then I see no reason at all why they can't join us.
            Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
            Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

a DL?
              we should allways be carefull

I don't know MSS very well so, no strong views/feelings either way.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

No. MSS is not the DL in question. Pop open the team display (click of the shield). You will see two names we have never heard from, and that I have never heard of.

They clicked to join. I have not granted admission to the forum. In the meantime, they pack around the spiffy icon.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

NYE, have you PMed them to ask what their intentions are?

BTW, I abstained for MSS, I don't know him, so won't judge him either way.

DeepO

Comment

No. I have no clue why they are there. Maybe I should. OK, I will.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Oh, and 0-post settlers are simply too hazardous to accept... the risk of a DL is simply too big. We are not elitist, and PC isn't everything, we should have a rule that we have to be able to at least verify someone is not a DL before we accept him.

DeepO

Comment

I seriously doubt we will accept anyone who is unknown to all of us. What do you think?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

I agree... but I don't want to limit this team to have only strategy ringers or demogamers either.

DeepO

Comment

Oh hey this is our first poll!

(Not counting our civ polls, which were a little more paper & pen style...)
                            Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                            Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

I abstained. Don't know him, but others seem to and seem to be favorable. Fine by me.

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X