No announcement yet.

Turn 172 : 570AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, some kind of picket-observed exclusion zone might be in order - but a key defense could, as vmxa1 said, be diplomatic. Who knows what shape the world is by then.

With pickets, we don't need every city stuffed. We can keep SOL's (Stacks Of Life) in at-risk locations and keep an eye on the oceans.

The main risk would be GoW via Nuevo Espana. Eliopolis must be the main repository of units. It already has 10 Knights.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
      our continent is just too coastal to do anything .
      Swings and Roundabouts. We suffer from a low tile count, but have the pleasure of enjoying most of an era safe from attack. We lack shields, but need not develop the seas for 3 commerce per tile.

The best we can do is enjoy the game by playing as well as we can with what we've got. Our key asset is currently commerce, and we seek to optimise that by reaching key wonder-techs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

How do Marines do against Mech Inf?
        Much better than I expected. I had a game recently (not sure if it was demi or what) where I took an island that had 5 cities all coastal. I had a 4 man calv army and IIRC two infantry (not MI) and two marines killed both INf and almost got the army. I was shocked and moved to bolster those cities with tanks.

I had a few other MI vs marines on another island (1 city) and I know that did not go as well as I expected either.

So all am saying is they can be very nasty and I am now scared of them. I had arties on hand in both islands as I had an aiport for both, but the arties were used for the ships. That may have been a mistake, but I was trying to reduce their HP for my bombers to finish them off.

Comment

I just pray that whatever happens on bob or legoland war wise, noone generates a leader and uses it on an army.

We might be able to defend against marines one on one, a marine army would be nigh unstoppable.

Comment

But marine armies aren't amphibious! (According to Theseus's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
              But marine armies aren't amphibious! (According to Theseus's sig)
              alas, but all marine armies and all berzerk armies are, its just when you mix the two do they lose that ability. I think.

Comment

Oh. Having never researched amphibious warware, let alone built a marine, (or played the Sandndinavians) I'm not up-to-speed on these matters.

Comment

Hey guys!! I'm ba-ack!

I thought this would be an appropriate spot to chime in... only the mixed Marine and Berserk Armies do not function. Monotype Armies work just fine.

Here is Catt's original thread on Marines:

City defenses seemingly do apply, and I presume that Radar Towers do as well. Don;t forget though, btw, that the Marine attack doesn;t necessarily have to hit a city, but can be on open ground as well. We may therefore want to consider forting the entire perimeter.
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Hey Theseus! Great to see ya

We've got some fortresses started in the north on mountains - but I think the feeling so far was that we can't defend every tile equally, and the biggest danger is losing a city that can be used in the same turn for conventional forces (cav, tanks) to rip through the core like H_E's example. The argument was that defending high ground forces them to land on flat.

Hopefully, the Spartan Acadamy can be the site for development of our 'Marine Defense Doctrine'.

Comment

BTW anything I have posted about Marines is from C3C and may not apply to PTW. I never faced a marine in CIV or PTW, only C3C.

I mean a marine during amphip attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                        City defenses seemingly do apply, and I presume that Radar Towers do as well. Don;t forget though, btw, that the Marine attack doesn;t necessarily have to hit a city, but can be on open ground as well. We may therefore want to consider forting the entire perimeter.
                        good to know.

to add to what CH said. The thought (or hope perhaps) is that we can't guard each square sufficiently, so we will only guard the cities, hopefully holding them. If they choose to land, we will have arties and knights/guerillas waiting for them, as we get one turn to hit. If they take a city via marine, they can offload all their cav army and we are toast.

Comment

btw, Theseus, vondrack had trouble with your email addy. I said you'd contact him to update it when you got back. Meanwhile you might be off the save list.

Comment

Working...
                          X