What's the deal with the GoW bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theseus
    It ain't a plan yet by any means... broad strategy only, thus far.

We need a unit-by-unit, turn-by-turn plan (remember the old days? ) for both ourselves and RP.

AND it needs to be reviewed by multiple people, so we don't have further Alamo/Merida mistakes.
    That's a ****load of work, and I have to say I'm daunted by it. Just the thought of all those unit orders... it makes me dizzy. I can deal with micromanagement when we've got a couple of cities and workers, but MM of a huge army such as we have is just overwhelming.

Regional commanders, perhaps? You North, me South (or vice-versa, whichever you want)? Then the task doesn't seem so big.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
      I consider what happened before to be major, I'm not sure about this, as we don't have the information. Before the game wasn't playable at all until some things were changed. If this is just that RoP isn't working, then the game is still functioning, albeit at a crippled state.
      I view this more as "having a major impact on the game" than "having a major impact on whether the game can be played at all." Neither one is acceptable.

That sucks. Does this affect us as well, for instance, would RP be able to move freely in our territory? Or is it something specific to ND-GoW and their past several turns.

Have you seen this bug before, I haven't heard of it.
      I've never seen it before, but I'm talking with someone who has, and I believe knows how to fix it. If so, then we should be good again this evening.

It may very well crop up again, we haven't yet found the trigger conditions for what makes it occur.

Perhaps all teams could disable or not use their Rops for the next several turns (not necessariliy cancelling them, as might not be possible w/o war) by being careful. At least that way the game could proceed.
      Imagine finding out from, say, Vox that Alamo only has 1 unit in it and there are 15 GoW Riders just outside, but RP territory in the way. You could wipe out or cripple the stack, but the ROP bug prevents you. That's what I would call a major impact, and would be unacceptable to continue the game under such circumstances for any team.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        That's a ****load of work, and I have to say I'm daunted by it. Just the thought of all those unit orders... it makes me dizzy. I can deal with micromanagement when we've got a couple of cities and workers, but MM of a huge army such as we have is just overwhelming.
        Don't MM the whole army, split it in groups, and move those as one. It will make life a lot easier. e.g. you have 10 knights in the North, name them cavalry 1, and use that further on...

DeepO

Comment

Trip-

I understand your point. I would certainly be ticked off if we were suffering of it.

Hopefully it can be fixed.

but if it can't be fixed, then I hope the game would still proceed.

Comment

Perhaps something really big has happened this turn....

Should we brace ourselves for some bad news...

At a complete stab in the dark my money is on Alamo flipping to RP and GoW being unable to get forces back to retake it
            Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Originally posted by OPD
              At a complete stab in the dark my money is on Alamo flipping to RP and GoW being unable to get forces back to retake it

I wish.
              Join a Democracy Game today!
              | APO: Civ4 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ4 Warlords Multi-Team - SMAC | CFC: Civ4 DG2 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ3 Multi-Team 2 | Civ3 ISDG - Civ4 ISDG |

Comment

Who was it that used to hate CF so much??

Wouldn't that burn his ass.

/me places more M&Ms before the RND godz.

Arrian:

1) I am at an industry conference from this Friday afternoon through next Wednesday evening. I will prolly have limited time... I don;t think enough to be theatre commander in the south. The north should be OK, as I don;t think anything major (in terms of unit control) will take place for, hmmm, 3 turns. Even so, you (and others) may have to cover for me, especially Sun-Tues evenings.

2) You might want to think about cutting iron a bit more, although maybe you are right about waiting a touch. Perhaps when our big producers can finish some Knights? 4-5 turns? We actually don't have THAT many units to upgrade.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I'll say it, I miss Coracle

Funny how they fixed his major complaint and he didn't come back.

Maybe still peeved about the airlifting of elephants but not leaders...

Comment

I don't miss Coracle in the slightest, although I wouldn't notice if he came back since the has the dubious distinction of being the only person ever to go on my ignore list.

Re Alamo doing the culture flip. When does the flip actually occur. Since we are talking about a GoW-held town flipping to RP, would that occur at the start of GoW's turn, or at the start of RP's? I would suspect the latter (otgherwise you can lose a town and retake it before the other civ knows anything happened), although having never played PBEM I'm just guessing. But if that is the case, then it can't be a flip, or else we'd already know about it, since it would have had to have happened on RPs turn.

Comment

Someone mentions Coracle and within hours I suffer a nasty flip in the AUSG101 - losing 6 cats, 6 ansars and 3 pikes in Houston.

Memo to self : "Cities even five tiles from Pyramids/GLib capital are hard to hold..."

Comment

Hey, Marine+Berserk Armies don't work... and I'm still here!
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

The flip would probably have to happen at the start of RP's turn so that they could get the choice of either installing a govenor or rebuffing the rebels.

Unless I'm mistaken the bug relates to GoW troops moving through ND land w/o the rop effect, and has a significant impact on the game according to Trip.

At another stab in the dark I'm going to bet that ND have taken Pamp but with only minimal units left to defend it. They need the second wave of GoW riders to come to the south to guard Pamp and Alamo, but the rop isn't working....

Perhaps they move the riders adjacent to Pamp only to see their move points disapear once they declare war...
                          Are we having fun yet?

Comment

I dont' think you get the choice of rebuffing in MP.

My bet is that the GoW 2nd wave is just departing GoW territory and was trying to utilize the nd roads. Before, they traveled down the east coast neutral zone.

So IMHO, they've had to reveal quite a bit of information through this, that they've been rallying their troops up to this point and this turn was their first on the trip to the south.

Hmm.

Comment

BTW:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!
                              Ocatavian

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Now I think that deserves its own thread.

Oh and happy birthday Octavian.

And +1 for the alva sighting in this forum..

Comment

Working...
                                X