Negotiating Peace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negotiating Peace?

Would it be worth considering trying to negotiate peace with GoW and ND, with RP getting back its southern territories but ND keeping the lands they've taken in the northeastern part of RP? Between the loss of territory and the destruction GoW and ND have caused in the South, the ND/GoW alliance will have succeeded in breaking RP as the greatest power on Bob. And if the war keeps on much longer, we're pretty much handing the game to Lego since they're not only being left in peace but also have their GA still in front of them. All Lego has to do is wait to see who gets the upper hand in the current war and then intervene on their side, especially if Vox is willing to help them. We'd need to clear it with RP before starting negotiations with the others, but if we could negotiate peace, even if it would mean RP giving up another city or two, I think that would give us a lot better odds of winning than if we try to fight it out.

*SILENCE THE DOVE!!!*

Just kidding Nathan...

I think after we've dealt a successful blow against either GoW or ND, it could be time to consider peace. RP can't be satisfied with what they currently have, and with ND and GoW remaining strong, there's no chance we could keep our hold on Bob for long... Not with every team (besides RP) seeing domination of the continent as their chance for victory...
    Save the rainforests!
    Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

I think you have a point. We should definitely explore this option.
      We have to begin, as you said, by talking to RP. Then, we will have to talk to our enemies; I fear that GoW will be a problem (perhaps we can speak directly to sensible people such as aggie?), but ND will listen, though I can't tell whether they will agree to this.
      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

We could try for peace, but the problem is, what are we going to do instead? We have too much military for us to be a top notch research civ, and have invested too much in the military to just disband it all to improve cash flow. And the reasons why this war came around are still with us.

No-one on Bob can really hope to attack the two big targets (us and Lego) while there are three civs on Bob. That kind of alliance just isn't stable. They also need a Bob alliance to have a good chance against either target, and only ND and GoW have the mutual trust needed for that to work now. But they just can't take the majority of their forces to war overseas if there is still some kind of significant RP presence in the south (especially with our military there as well).

So if a peace is signed, ND and GoW look at their long term options, realise that the only way they can win is to invade at least one of us or Lego, and know they can't do that while RP and us still hold land on Bob. That pushes them right back into war with us - there is no other option for them if they want to win, as far as I can see. Presumably they can see that too, and so won't be willing to sign a peace treaty unless a) it gives them time to build up a sneak attack or a better defence, b) they are getting mullered, and end up in a situation where their only hope of winning is to survive the present and pray for a whole load of luck in the future.

So while we can ask about peace (and lets not do it the turn before landing a massive force in GoW's heartland - I've never been a fan of the trash talking on the public forum), don't expect anything good to come of it for us for a long time.

Comment

I'd honestly rather fight it out at this point.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

We negotiate peace, if ever, when our War Chickens stand on ND and GoW necks.

[edit for a stoopid mistake]
            Last edited by Theseus; September 3, 2003, 19:05.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I hope you meant ND and GoW necks...
              "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
              And the truth isn't what you want to see,
              Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Yeah, we're a republic, so we shouldn't be oppressing our own people.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm with Theseus and Arrian on this. GoW and ND should at least waste their GAs on military. We could see meanwhile, if we can get some cities for RP back.

Comment

Comment

There is a solution to Legoland building while we are a-warring...

/me starts looking around for some kind of building blocks.
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm...

We could of course try to negotiate peace with GoW/ND and haul everything we have at Lego... as surprise. I wonder how good their homeland defense is.

Comment

I only see 2 options atm to win this game:

1. Let RP die, retreat from Bob, and line our coast with defenders. Go for spaceship (not really an option)
                          2. Take Bob in the long run, and together with RP declare a domination victory (even if it is not 100% according to Civ rules).

Taking the fight to Lego would be an option, if it wasn't so far away, and if we wouldn't lack suitable transports. I agree, most likely they would not hold against a major invasion atm, but in 40 turns time this would probably have changed a lot. But, seeing as we can never trust GoW again, and that ND would also almost certainly invade us if we start invading Lego, it isn't a real option...

Accepting peace? Well... why not... but what do we intend to gain? If it is a necessity because our knights can't hit any riflemen I would agree, or if we would get badly outnumbered (e.g. if RP would be destroyed) yes, maybe. But as long as that doesn't happen, we have no choice in going through with what we started. And the goal I see in this war is that we can't have GoW or ND with more territory then us. As long as that is true (and it is basically true at this moment for ND, even if it doesn't show on F11), we can't stop.

Does this mean we're handing the game to Lego? No, I don't think so. They have a lot of territory, but now that Vox has taken a large part of it, it is not so overwelmingly so. If we could conquer and hold GoW's territory, we could most likely catch up, even if this war takes another 30 turns of us spending all cash on upgrades and all shields on troops. That is assuming we'll win, of course, if in 30 turns from now we still don't have GoW (or ND for that matter), Lego will have won barring some miracle. But at least we had fun fighting wars, while they were sitting on their isolated continent building stuff.

DeepO

Comment

I would like to see at least one big collision of armies before any talk of peace is brought up.

If it goes against us, well then... the obvious out is that they cannot touch us for a very long time to come, and we can make RP welcome in North Stormia.

If it goes for us, then we should press for what we can get, through either diplomacy or the sword.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Honestly, if I were in the position of GoW or ND at the moment, I wouldn't go for peace. They are obviously feeling like they hold the upper hand, as our force really hasn't does that much to date. Besides, we can assume that any peace would come with the price of forfeiting everything we have on Bob.

I don't see a Lego invasion as truly doable at this moment, either. Though it's safe to assume that they don't have a sizable force anywhere, they do have a GA on their side.

Therefore, we should keep on ploughing through on Bob - our mighty armies will be victorious!
                              Join a Democracy Game today!
                              | APO: Civ4 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ4 Warlords Multi-Team - SMAC | CFC: Civ4 DG2 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ3 Multi-Team 2 | Civ3 ISDG - Civ4 ISDG |

Comment

Working...
                              X