A bit of fiction...:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of fiction...:)

Had thought about posting this or something like it to (hopefully) serve as a morale boosting piece, for both RP and for us! If you guys think it'd do more harm than good, I'll nix it, but I sketched a little something out....

Rallying Cry

Silence ruled the day.

Odd thing, that….there had not been many silences since the invasion of Spanish lands had begun….it was unsettling.

Perhaps even more unsettling in its way than the massive enemy armies trolling freely around Spanish territory.

For weeks now, the Spaniards had been hoping for a miracle. They had asked for, and gotten swift aid from their neighbors across the sea, and Stormian armies were now in Spain, in force, and gathering for decisive action.

There was a storm brewing….no doubt.

And yet, there had been setbacks and upsets, and morale was low. Many Spanish cities had been lost despite the presence of the Stormians, and there was talk that this was an un-winnable fight. That Spain was lost. That with the passing of a number of prominent Stormianas, the sun was setting on them and theirs, and that even they, with all their considerable strength, could do nothing to turn the dreadful tide in Spain.

But quietly, there were other whispers as well, and the two most famed and revered Generals of the war with Vox, in which an unprepared civilization made a striking comeback, and had proven that they, the Stormians, were as capable at making war as they were at thriving in times of peace, Generals Arrian and Theseus went searching….

They knew that the Stormia of old had fallen into listless slumber….that the setbacks had taken their toll on morale…on hope….and that if things were to turn around, then a new day would have to first dawn. A new hope would be needed.

Their searching took them to a secret cave that had been sealed for many centuries, and that lay half-forgotten except for having been written about on a few dusty scrolls that not many were even aware of. Pure happenstance that it had been found at all. And inside, in addition to a priceless collection of ancient maps and scrolls, they found a glass crypt, with a cloaked, hooded figure suspended inside it, floating in water of brilliant blue.

On the front face of the crypt was a small brass hammer, and a sign beneath which read: “Break this glass in case of emergency,” followed by something which looked like a grinning, green smiley face ( )

An odd, ancient message indeed, but the Generals knew this place….familiar territory once more, though it had been lost for so long.

Slowly, the water drained away, and with the crypt so emptied, the hooded figure drew in the first breath he had taken in many centuries.

“We…misplaced you….sorry ‘bout that.” General Arrian said with an affable grin.

“No matter.” The figure whispered, a ghost of a smile, more felt than seen, crossing his hidden features.

“It’s….time again.” General Theseus told him.

The figure nodded once, in understanding, and was led away from the cave.

Some weeks later, a small, nondescript caravan arrived in Barcelona, and the two generals, with the cloaked figure talked long into the night about the war in general, and creating a new, stronger Spain.

“On the wreckage of these two who have dared attack her.” The cloaked figure whispered. “Oh yes….Spain’s future will be bright indeed.”

They talked further, until the sun had come and gone again….no breaks, no stopping, and no rest.

There was much to be done.

“If it pleases the Council, I shall ride to the Spanish capitol and meet with their King, so they will know that we….that we all are with them, and that this war will be unlike anything their enemies have ever faced…..gentlemen….there’s a storm coming. Can you feel it in the air? Can you smell it on the wind?” The ghost of a smile returned. “Soon….”

And the dawn began to break.

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Vel, I like it (as about every fiction you write), however I don't know whether it would be to post it public. It would certainly be good to send it to RP, though, they can surely also use the morale boost!

DeepO

Comment

Thank ya, bud! And ....I'll leave it right here....trusting the powers that be to get it where it'd serve us best.

If that's the public fora, then somebody can do some copy and paste magic and see that it gets there....or into a PM to the RP group...or....

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Good writing Vel, you always impress me.

Well, it needs to go to RP for sure.
        Our main audience in the public forum will be Lego Land. We need to look like a nice, creative, likeable bunch of folks and shake off the petty quarrelers image that sortof stuck during the last public forum flamefest.
        "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
        And the truth isn't what you want to see,
        Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

::blushin':: Thanks man....and I'll leave it to you guys to determine how best to use it....but I agree....if we can put something that puts attention back on the GAME and away from us as boogey men....that can only help, I think....

-=Vel=-

Comment

Being the newbie of the team, I really don't know who the heck that story's about. Still, though, I may contribute my own writing to the cause later.
            Join a Democracy Game today!
            | APO: Civ4 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ4 Warlords Multi-Team - SMAC | CFC: Civ4 DG2 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ3 Multi-Team 2 | Civ3 ISDG - Civ4 ISDG |

Comment

Mostly, Master Octavian....it's about hope...the kind of hope that gets generated when a bunch of people who believe they CAN, get together....

-=Vel=-

Comment

Working...
              X