Resignation/Replacements Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resignation/Replacements Needed

In the couple weeks or so before the current war started, I was thinking I would probably resign my posts as chief economist and main player because this game was consuming too much of my time and interfering too much with my ability to maintain anything resembling an orderly schedule (to whatever extent I am capable of such a thing even without something like this game to interfere). When it started looking like we were about to go to war again, I decided to put such thoughts on hold, and I was hoping that we could get the war in hand quickly enough that I could stay through it and then bow out at a time that would be more convenient for the rest of the team.

But things aren't shaping up that way. This war is starting to take on the characteristics of a long, slow meatgrinder, with lots of complex (and time-consuming) tactical and strategic decisions along the way. The game has been fun, but it's getting in the way of too many interests and possibilities that could make more of a difference in the real world. Reluctantly, I've decided that the real world needs to take a higher priority. I'll hold onto my positions in GS for up to another week or so if that's what's needed for someone else to take over in an orderly fashion, but I don't want to go past that.

I'm not planning to leave the team completely, but I doubt that I'll be especially active either. I hate to do this to you guys, but as heretical as it might seem to post such words on Apolyton, there is more to life than just Civ.

My best wishes for Gathering Storm's success, and good luck to whoever has the combination of courage and insanity necessary to step up and take over as main player.

Sincerely,

Nathan Barclay

This is very bad news Nathan...

But I do thank you for all the work you have put in which IMO was enormous and very high quality
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

You have been simply tremendous.

Aside from the recent troubles and discussions, I had been wondering (and even remarked to Amy) about how long you could keep it up.

For meritorious service, time spent above and beyond the call of duty, smart moves, killer management, and keen tactics, Nathan Barclay is hereby awarded the Medal of the Storm, our highest honor.

You are entitled to a rest, soldier.
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I don't know what to say Nathan... you'll be sorely missed.

I can volunteer to become the new main player, but I'll never be able to do all this optimization work that you do that keeps us on the edge, Nathan.
        "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
        And the truth isn't what you want to see,
        Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Nathan- I think you've been the subject of admiration (in some way or another) of several (if not most... ) of this team's members, for the reasons Theseus stated- I certainly admire and greatly appreciate your capabilities, and see you as on the best civ players I have met, and probably one of the best, if not the best economist in this game. You have laid a great foundation to the way the Storm is working- we'll try to keep it going as good as possible!

Good luck with all your RL ventures, I hope you'll be able to be back to full participation soon!
          Save the rainforests!
          Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

You have done outstanding work and if it wasn't for you, the team wouldn't be in a position as strong as it's now. Many thanks and good luck to you.

Comment

I can't replace you (actually, I'm not sure any *one* of us can). Thanks for putting in what appears to me to have been an almost inhuman amount of effort. I echo Sir Ralph's comment - we wouldn't be doing nearly as well had you not been so active leading the team.

So, who will take up the reigns (chains?) of leadership?

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Indeed... coming so late to the farewell party, I can only echo other's comments: if it wasn't for your MM skills and participation, we would not have been here. Nathan, and don't you start running away from the forum

DeepO

Comment

You have led us well, Nathan. Thank you very much for your efforts.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments, folks, and you're welcome for all the thank-yous.

Comment

Working...
                    X