The perils of the culture flip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perils of the culture flip

Having just read civman2000's post in the SPIN2 thread, it occurs to me that culture flipping is a big risk for us if we are not careful. Unless it is turned off in this game - anyone know? AIUI it isn't possible to refuse a culture flip in MP - it just happens (I've not played MP, so I'm going on what I've read elsewhere). What risk is there of our new Spanish cities flipping? My understanding is that we are safe for now (all citizens transfer nationality, and there are no RP borders inside the 21 tile radius of any of the new cities), but it is something to be wary of in future. It would be midly annoying to have a city with 10 knights in it flip back to RP with nothing we can do about it to avoid losing the knights. So if a city is in danger of a flip for some reason, we need to be careful not to garrison it, or to garrison it heavily enough to crush all flipping chances.

I can confirm that you definitely cannot reject a culture flip in PBEM games.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Definitely.
      With enough garrisons, culture flipping can be prevented entirely (the definition of 'enough garrisons' depends on a number of factors, see the culture flipping formula thread for information). We have enough to prevent Toledo from flipping at the moment, and NM will be returned shortly. I'm not sure about the port city, but due to its nature, we will not hold any troops in it (they will move out immediately; that's the whole point of the port city) so at most we may lose galleys if it flips and RP can't prevent it.
      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

FP: tested with 1.21?
        "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
        And the truth isn't what you want to see,
        Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Toledo can't flip currently because all its citizens are now GS rather than Spanish, aren't they? But since RP has more culture than us, RP cities will have had more culture generated by RP in that city, and they are closer to the RP capital, we could need as many as 4 units per 'pop' (pop or RP tile in radius) to completely squash flip chances, which is quite a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber
            FP: tested with 1.21?
            Actually I can't remember. Probably not now you mention it. Sir Ralph might be able to remember what patch we were using at the time since he was the one who lost the city.
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

This is a good utility that caluculates the risk of a culture flip...

Edit: I will always have the latest version linked in to the first post so you don't have to go looking through the thread for it... Please note that Version 1.5 contains a significant change to the distance formula, you should update to this version straight away. Version 1.5 'Distance'...
              Join a Democracy Game today!
              | APO: Civ4 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ4 Warlords Multi-Team - SMAC | CFC: Civ4 DG2 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ3 Multi-Team 2 | Civ3 ISDG - Civ4 ISDG |

Comment

Octavian, I can tell you we don't really need that link but thanks anyway. ( you'll find out in due time )

* DeepO enters the room *
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Hmm, definately something to consider. I brought this very issue up a few days ago, but it got lost in the shuffle.

Looks like at this point its just duke it out and pray that our number isn't called.

Comment

Confirmed that all citizens are Stormians (until, of course, we give them back).

Comment

I'm keeping an eye on it, but so far, none of our cities are under stress. Once the beachhead near NM is going to be settled, and NM gifted back to RP, it will be under heavy cultural stress. Only thing we can do about that is to leave it undefended at all time, and in case it would flip, receive it immediately back from RP.

The real problems will start once we're conquering native cities from ND. Also, if we conquer former RP cities, we should give these back to RP asap...

DeepO

Comment

Working...
                      X