• 420 AD to Sir Ralph.

Comment

• 420AD to FP

Comment

• 430AD to FP

Comment

• 440 AD to Sir Ralph.

Comment

• 440AD to FP (well, that was yesterday late)

Comment

• 450 AD to Sir Ralph. Hey, the avatars are back!

Comment

• Announcement from the government of the Peoples Republic of China

Thousands of years we lived in peace on a continent together with our neighbors, the Carthaginians. During this time, our sailors explored the world and discovered 2 other nations. There were the Vikings, a formerly warlike nation, who had conquered the Persians, but now existed with almost no military, and the Ottomans, who were very advanced, but always hostile. The Vikings had to be conquered, because they refused to trade with us and we needed to deny their land to our mighty foe. The Ottomans once tried to land on our new shores and could be fought back in the seas by our brave warriors. Now their big and advanced ships threaten the shores of our old homeland.

After carefully considering the circumstances, we decide, that a struggle Rider against Sipahi, Pikeman against Rifleman, Cannon against Catapult and Galleon+Frigate against Galley is not what we want. So all our cities except one decided to join the Carthaginian Empire. May their talented leader guide our combined empire to world domination.

Joke aside (I hope everybody realizes, that this domination thing was a joke), all we are aware, that Nathan of course won this game. Others may disagree and call it an interesting challenge, but for me a slugfest under the circumstances described above with one or even 2 levels inferior units (like Pikemen vs Riflemen) is just a big waste of time with a well predefined outcome. And since my defeat would mean Nathans victory (FP would hardly have a chance), there's nobody else's interest I violate, if I bail out now. Therefor I resign this game and congratulate the Ottomans to their stunning victory. The edge out of a piece of luck in the ancient age combined with good territory was cleverly developed and multiplied in an impressive way. As far as I know, the Carthaginians think similar.

Comment

• I ran MapStat on the save (not something I would do if it were still a serious contest), and it looks like FP is still a little over 250 tiles away from the domination threshold. It's harder to give someone a domination victory than one might think at first glance, especially with the way cultural expansions are undone when cities change hands. So if FP really wants to, we could still slug it out.

Sir Ralph, I understand perfectly your desire not to drag out a fight where the other side has such large advantages. (In addition to the ones you mentioned, consider the impact of my having railroads and the ability to mobilize my economy for war in the not-too-distant future; I'm currently six turns from the industrial era, and there's presumably a two thirds chance I'd get either Nationalism or Steam Power as my free tech.) I'd probably feel the same way if the situation were reversed. Your conquest of the Vikings was imprressive; OPD and I didn't even realize the Lighthouse crossing was there until it was too late (or at least I certainly didn't). If luck had been with you in pursuit of a leader, the endgame could have been a lot closer.

FP, are you ready to call the game over as well?

Comment

• Since the "joke" was started in mutual consent (that's why you got the save from me instead from him, just Apolyton was down to post the explanation), I can safely answer for him, that yes, he considers the game over as well.

Comment

• By the way, had we made it the other way (he gifts me all his cities), the domination would more likely be triggered, since the emerging culture gaps were significantly less. But this outcome of the game, even seen as joke, would be just plain wrong.

Comment

• Game over!! I was hoping you guys were going to slug it out for a while yet.

well played NB and SR too, you sure taught me a lesson.

I can't help wondering whether China, Carthage and Scandinavia working together could have beaten the Ottomans.
                        Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Working...
                        X