Ruh Roh: Problems with the save

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruh Roh: Problems with the save

In case you haven't noticed, Vondrack posted a message in the "who has the save thread" that said the save file is corrupted. He plays the turn, but it crashes when, I think, he goes to save the turn to send on to us.

We are waiting for beta to replay the turn and send it again to V. (Ah I see he just sent)

What happens if that doesn't work? Should we have someone use the load cheat to cycle through the turns until we find one that works properly?

We would obviously have to get an outsider to do that, or else we would have to expel our member who helped out.

Is it even feasible to go backwards more than a turn? Does the random seed fix with each team or at the start of the turn? What I mean is, if we do everything the same on our turn, would the others get the same results from their turns? Luckily really the only teams adversely affected are GS and Vox, as we are the only ones with units engaged. And luckily they aren't engaged to a large extent. Unless we have to go pre-ramses. then the game might not be salvagable.

If we do go back, we would have to provide either the player of the turn our instructions or do it ourselves and try to mimic everything exactly. I trust the former more, especially with regards to Vox's turns, as they know what we are made of now.

Sigh.

I would be willing to bow out of this game and check it out, though I don't know much about the inner workings of the game, I could receive instruction from NYE or someone during a chat so they wouldn't be tainted by the map knowledge. I have about a week of more or less freedom when I could work on it. I was going to be able to participate only sporadically in the future anyway.

Don't worry yet, atw. The problem is most likely very recent. If not, it is going to be a bugger to find. The 'best' way to get past it, if it was not very recent, would be to start with our last turn, open- do nothing- end turn and move on to the next team, same thing- end turn and move on to the next team, same thing... until we see if we can get by the Lego turn. If that doesn't work, then one turn earlier, same procedure...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I hope you're right that its a recent, very recent problem. Hopefully there can be a group chat with the players to speed along testing.

Comment

NYE, what you're proposing can be done by Trip rather quickly, if he's given all the passwords.
        "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
        And the truth isn't what you want to see,
        Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I'm still confident it's a corrupted save, at least at this point.-
          -
          good idea Shiber
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

We're replaying the entire cycle. Vondrack has sent the previous turn to our players.
            "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
            And the truth isn't what you want to see,
            Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
            - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber
              We're replaying the entire cycle. Vondrack has sent the previous turn to our players.
              There has to be a more efficient way of figuring this out, like your suggestion about Trip playing the turns to find the error. It could take til tomorrrow for this turn to be played again, or we could find the error in an hour or two.

Comment

Actually, Trip replaying could be time consuming, and frustrating for some, even the do nothing approach since important changes might be skipped. It should be a last ditch.

I think that the Beta's new install is bad, or problem in email between Beta and vondrack are better short down-time shots at getting this resolved. Now, all we need are a couple of Voxians and a couple of Legos around at the same time to see.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I got another idea, which may be a bit our of the ordinary, but should work. If we don't find it in reasonable time, let's take Theseus' idea of charging money, and go one step further: Ask admission money for Soren to lurk in here (if he still does): One fixed save. I think he's friendly enough to actually do it

(only as a last resort, of course)
                  ]
                  DeepO

Comment

euhm... I was kind of out of date with my 'idea' ... sorry, just catching up on the public forum.

DeepO

Comment

Working...
                    X