• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Call to Honour

From The Great Council of
    The Blood Oath Horde

To

The Government of The Mighty Desolation Row

There comes a moment in the lives of men and civilizations that the strength of one must be tested against the strength of another. For centuries our two nations have guided the present and future of this world. There have been times of war and times of peace. For a while, even reluctant allies we became. Always however, we have found strength within your civilization and leadership.

From the ancient depths of time, this council has known that Desolation Row would be the greatest test of our nations strength. This time has been both openly and quietly talked of by members of this council. To have such strength as your civilization has is to inspire both admiration and loathing among those who seek to rule this world.

Events have moved their way to cause a most interesting dynamic in our world today. We find ourselves at a crossroad in time. Everywhere the Horde stands victorious over vanquished enemies. There have been those that have been incompetent and those that have been cowards. Nowhere have we found those that can stand against us. The Horde is a warrior clan. Battle and Blood are our ways. We seek out mighty foes to test our mettle. Nowhere in this world have we found one worthy, except in one place…The Desolation Row. Recent events have caused this matter to come before the great council once again. A lone voice was raised on your behalf. A voice that commanded great respect and all on the council listened…but alas, it was only one voice.

It has therefore been decided that the Horde calls your nation to battle. In this we know we shall find no cowardice…no lack of honour on the battlefield. Our troops know that with The Desolation Row that we will have at last found a foe of skill and honour. We know that we will not walk through cities of murdered citizens, but shall meet your might with ours. On this war will the fate of the entire world ride. We challenge you to meet the Mighty Red Guard on the field of Battle. The time has come.

WAR IS HEREBY DECLARED.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Nicely written, PLATO!
    Last edited by Golden Bear; October 22, 2005, 14:48.

Comment

Nicely written, PLATO! actually
      A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Aw, shucks... I'll edit it. But it is nicely written, even if, as I suspect, we are the "incompetent."

And, to be clear, no offense taken if true, and no answer needed!

Comment

An official and unanimous announcement from the Cabinet of the Government of the former Desolation Row follows.

This statement shall be the sole response to the so-called "challenge" issued by the Horde.

After careful consideration and substantial review of the misdemeanours of the Horde during this game, the Desolation Row has voted to withdraw forthwith from further participation.

With respect to the "challenge" issued by Plato of the Horde, when taken in isolation the document, as is usual with the Horde, is indeed well constructed with consistent internal logic. However, when held up to the light in the context of the game in which we are all participating, it is an absolutely hypocritical and outrageous portrayal of the Horde's approach.

Specifically, the Horde has defiled the spirit of Apolyton through its blatant lies, questionable practices, backstabbing, treachery, false alliances, and above all its abuse of the personal trust that at one time prevailed between members of the hallowed halls of our Apolyton. In this game the Horde has not only remained bereft of any principles, but has singularly attempted to impart similar but ludicrous accusations upon other teams while purporting to act with honour.

In this context, the so-called "challenge" of the honourless Horde shall not be met in any way, shape or form by the Desolation Row.

We presume the "lone voice" who stood out against the premeditated and unprovoked attack on the Horde's ally, the Desolation Row, will resign his position with the Horde in disgust. Then again, perhaps not.

Sadly, you of the Horde have misjudged us of the Desolation Row. For it was not ultimate victory that we craved, but to play this game with skill, bravery and honour. We have achieved all these things, and need display no further courage to the cowardly bunch who from the outset have demonstrated that their only chance of success is to enter deals with the intention of taking all they can and breaking them before they have delivered on their side of the bargain.

So take your empty and hollow victory and be proud of your achievements, for nobody who played in this game and witnessed its abuses in the name of "roleplaying" shall trust any of you ever again.

This is the final word of the Desolation Row.
          So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
          Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

wow what a good sport you are
            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by Aqualung71
              ...enter deals with the intention of taking all they can and breaking them before they have delivered on their side of the bargain.
              Hard words, can you honestly say you haven't done so yourself? In this game or others?
              Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

That's me on the right, bearing the Field Marshal insignia proudly on my head

Mess with the Horde and we...umm...pick you to death
                  Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

We Are Waiting ...

On the field of honour where real warriors fight, not hide behind words !!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ok guys time to knock it off, if they want to pull out then they want to pull out. Ming is watching this forum like a hawk.

I learned something in first grade that has been a godsend for me over the years:

If you dont have something nice to say, then dont say anything at all
                      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Aw man, I am really disenheartened by this. I wish that you guys would reconsider. We've been hanging in there largely because we feel obligations to three of the other teams in this game.

Personally, I don't think that taunting them is an appropriate response. Yes, I am a partial hypocrite - so don't bother with that follow-up post.

Many on our team are only hanging on by obligation. DR is quitting and I suspect with 99% probability of being correct that there are other teams that would just as soon stop this game.

Saying that it is because people are "chicken" is not at all in line with any of the evidence. People ought to consider why this game became unenjoyable - at least the part of the game outside the Babylon Team, which continues to be more fun than playing with kittens.

If "winning is the only thing" is the only meaningful outcome of this game, then I think that everybody concerned can concede the game to the Horde at this point. A well-played game, building on strength, husbanding it and using it at the correct times. If that is the point to this game, then perhaps the time really has come to bid adieu.

I say this without consulting with my team which I shall do soon. I'm just disturbed that two such solid folks as Aqualung and Moonbars would feel this so strongly that they would react this way.

By the way, the line of argument that says, "so what, you did the same thing," is a logical fallacy. They are two separate arguments that each must be viewed individually.

I am very sorry to hear this.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Bear
                          By the way, the line of argument that says, "so what, you did the same thing," is a logical fallacy. They are two separate arguments that each must be viewed individually.

I am very sorry to hear this.

I'm not going to debate anything with you Golden Bear, except this statement. Logic has nothing to do with any of it. Ethics has.

The statement reads: You have done the same things to others therefore you have no right to protest because the others did those things to you.

Or an equivalent: He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone...

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Bear
                            Aw man, I am really disenheartened by this.
                            Ditto.
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Ljube, it really is a logical fallacy. The question of whether or not I am a jerk is completely separate from the question of whether or not con is a jerk.

This is a common argumentative flaw.

It is regularly seen in sports, "Well we may have run up the score, but so does your team!" This does not validate that either instance is the right thing to do nor whether the original commentator is somehow "contaminated" by having been soiled by malfeasence in the first place.

You are incorrect. Ethics is an unstable and relativistic matter.

Logic is logic.

An attempt at justifying an action by claiming that someone else did it first is a logical fallacy. Both instances can be wrong, or, both can be right, or one right and one wrong.

I am sorry to contradict you in a public forum, and I do not mean to belittle you because you are an intelligent person with frequent well though out statements.

However, you are wrong in this matter. One cannot justify a bad action by claiming that someone else did it first. Each is an individual instance that must be judged.

You may dislike me or not want to give credit to what I say, but this is not a matter of opinion.

Golden Bear

Comment

Working...
                              X