Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continue the Feudal DG, except without the confusion?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continue the Feudal DG, except without the confusion?

There has been talk recently of starting a new DG in this forum. Although there is some good discussion going on, I don't think there is much of a consensus yet on what form such a new game would take.

An alternate idea that I had come up with recently is to use the game we have, the Feudal DG, but to continue it without or with less of the Feudal rules. I know that most of the interest in this game was from the idea of buying and selling tiles, but when participation fizzled out what seems to have been blamed is (at least partly) because of the complexity of the rules.

Another option is to continue the Feudal DG without any of the Feudal stuff (beyond a $Minigame like in the first Civ3 DG, where you made the money from 'owning' tiles, but it did not affect the gameplay, and was more for those who wanted the roleplay and fun without the gameplay and in-game strategy. The difficulty is Emperor; certainly winnable, and we have an OK start too, with our floodplains. We could turn this into a great chance for ourselves, far better than the Viking DG map allowed us to go on Deity.

This poll is about the future of this forum - should we continue the Feudal game with more streamlined Feudal rules element, without this altogether as a regular DG, or decomission the old game and focus on discussion for a new game?
    Keep going, but with less of the confusing Feudal rules
    16.67%
    Keep going, but with tile ownerships not affecting the way we play the game itself
    16.67%
    Let it lie, and concentrate on discussions towards a more longlasting concept
    58.33%
    Read the banana leaves for the answer
    8.33%
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

indeed a good point to be discussed

I would like to see a fresh start
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

how long is the poll for MWIA?
      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Kill it dead!

It was confusing and so put off casual gamers. There was also no single place to go to find out what the rules were and so put off serious gamers.

I have never played a democracy game, but it sounds like it could be fun if you know whats going on.

I'll keep an eye out for the next one.
        Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
        The continuing saga of The Five Nations
        A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

We could use a web page that has all the rules / news / links to interesting threads..
          The Best Multiplayer Game Ever

Comment

Id din'tset a restricted time for the poll to end by.

And before the Feudal DG, there was always (or since UnOrthOdOx's magnificent start in the first DG) a Directory that organised all important threads into categories, and new important discussion or poll threads were presented near the top. Now with the CivGroup news, we could add every important thread/news item to it if we wanted to.
            Consul.

Comment

so we can then close the poll after at a time to be decided - cool

Directories sure do work well
              I am of the Horde.

Comment

If someone has the technical know-how to help with an alternate way of going about keeping things updated, that would be fantastic. A Directory would do, I suppose, with perhaps a few tweaks of its design.

And the poll doesn't need to be closed, really. We'll just leave it open, and I was hoping in around a day or so to see what had been voted for and what comments were there, before using part of my weekend (no more jury service! ) to get some idea in action.

So keep up the discussion in the meantime! A DG is to be played by you guys interested - not just the stuffy old hangers-on from old DGs like me and Paddy. We'll help all we can to get things going, but it's gotta be what most of YOU guys want.
                Consul.

Comment

wow - 7 voters in 5 days

ahh some things do not really change all that much
                  I am of the Horde.

Comment

10 voters in 14 days

is there anyone else out there???
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Well, if we go with the small team idea that is enough for 5 2-man teams or 3 3-man teams and 1 2-man team.
                      I changed my signature

Comment

Should we have a democracy style succession game

ahhh indeed

or just enough for a good community of stayers for a single player conquest

I have been giving this a bit of thought, and feel we could quite happily merge the general style of the single player democracy game with the current succession game that you have in the pbem forum :

The way I see it running is:

We have a leader and his tribal council of elders.

We then have the tribe

As per the constitution each person has a vote etc

The initial save is posted

The tribe gathers and discusses the situation in threads and polls

The council then organises its thoughts and posts any instructions

The leader then goes on and plays a series of turns (possibly 10 to 20)

The leader then comes back and:
                        - writes up a report
                        - loads up the save for everyone to look over
                        - posts a map pic

(These turn sessions interrupted by emergencies that need to be sort by the council etc. thus some sessions would only be the turns until the emergency is declared)

Then the process rolls around again
                        Last edited by Paddy; October 26, 2004, 11:40.
                        I am of the Horde.

Comment

Paddy brought up the succession game.

Paddy: You know how alot of people in the succession game have been praising my great idea? the idea really came from http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=106354 My first post on Poly' ever is on page 2.

Mind no longer troubled with idea theft
                          I changed my signature

Comment

either way it is a great game that you set up

so you like the idea I set out above?
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

Yes it is indeed good.
                              I changed my signature

Comment

Working...