Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research

Without knowing the map, our start, and so forth, what to research first - go for mapmaking, or iron and swords?

Here is the place to discuss.
    If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

UUMMMM

It is all contextual my good man. What we should research depends completly on what the map is like. How close to water we are, the proximity of other civs (taking into account their aggressiveness ratings) and landspace availiable. Without such information we are naval gazing.

Sean.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

As Vikings I normally go for Bronze, then go after map making, if it is an island, horses if not. I rely more heavily on archers than I do playing other civs because they upgrade to berserks later...
      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

i really think this is completely map dependent, but i'm willing to discuss it a bit

as the vikings, we start with pottery and warrior code.

with all the 24 civs in the game, this is the breakdown of relevent traits, with ours removed:

trait # civs tech cost
        com 8 alpha 5
        mil 1 wheel 4
        sci 7 bronze 3
        rel 9 cere 2
        ind 7 mason 4

i list these because any intelligent civ player knows a technology grows cheaper with the more people that know it , and because we might be able to trade for some as the game moves on.

looking at this chart, it should be noted that ceremonial burial will be mega cheap (comparitively).

i just ran a test, with all 24 civs in the game.

if we start on a grassland (ie, have 3 trade in our capital square) and have no other trade at all, these are the costs of avilible techs /w 100% sci:

bronze: 34
        masonry: 40
        Alphabet: 40
        The Wheel: 40
        Ceremonial: 22

now, if we can get more trade, ie, if we start on a river (the city square maxes out @ 3, if another tile has +1 trade), these are the costs:

bronze: 25
        masonry: 34
        The Wheel: 34
        Ceremonial: 17

if the hallowed halls of valhalla bless us with 2 surplus trade (ie, a fish), we get this:

bronze: 20
        masonry: 27
        Alphabet: 34
        The Wheel: 27
        Ceremonial: 14

so, i'd say we should first shoot fir ceremonial burial (imagine that), unless it seems that someone is absoletely on our continent, that we could trade for it.

by the time we get ceremonial burial, we should have a grasp on what our land ooks like, and could be in a more privelidged suitation to decide what path to take.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Uber goes builder on us!!!
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
            Uber goes builder on us!!!

i got my archers already

it's mostly a "placeholder" tech, to buy time until we can decide what to do.

because research doesn't carry over like production does, it's wither pick the shortest one or dont do a tech at all.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

In deity games, you need the temples anyway to keep your citizens from complaining about yout despotic rule, not to mention keeping you ingrateful citizens from overthrowing the governor.
              Join a Democracy Game today!
              | APO: Civ4 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ4 Warlords Multi-Team - SMAC | CFC: Civ4 DG2 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ3 Multi-Team 2 | Civ3 ISDG - Civ4 ISDG |

Comment

Why? I just keep putting the slider up until they're happy.

Unless we've been given a very interesting position, we're likely to get at least one tech from a hut. So starting on the cheapest on turn 1 is probably sensible.

It's just a shame that settlerless archer rushes work far less well on deity. On Emperor, getting Bronze Working from a hut fast would actually be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                  i really think this is completely map dependent, but i'm willing to discuss it a bit

as the vikings, we start with pottery and warrior code.

with all the 24 civs in the game, this is the breakdown of relevent traits, with ours removed:

trait # civs tech cost
                  com 8 alpha 5
                  mil 1 wheel 4
                  sci 7 bronze 3
                  rel 9 cere 2
                  ind 7 mason 4

i list these because any intelligent civ player knows a technology grows cheaper with the more people that know it , and because we might be able to trade for some as the game moves on.

looking at this chart, it should be noted that ceremonial burial will be mega cheap (comparitively).

i just ran a test, with all 24 civs in the game.

if we start on a grassland (ie, have 3 trade in our capital square) and have no other trade at all, these are the costs of avilible techs /w 100% sci:

bronze: 34
                  masonry: 40
                  The Wheel: 40
                  Ceremonial: 22

now, if we can get more trade, ie, if we start on a river (the city square maxes out @ 3, if another tile has +1 trade), these are the costs:

bronze: 25
                  masonry: 34
                  The Wheel: 34
                  Ceremonial: 17

if the hallowed halls of valhalla bless us with 2 surplus trade (ie, a fish), we get this:

bronze: 20
                  masonry: 27
                  Alphabet: 34
                  The Wheel: 27
                  Ceremonial: 14

so, i'd say we should first shoot fir ceremonial burial (imagine that), unless it seems that someone is absoletely on our continent, that we could trade for it.

by the time we get ceremonial burial, we should have a grasp on what our land ooks like, and could be in a more privelidged suitation to decide what path to take.
                  I agree; it's the same kind of strategy I use when I play an Expansionist civ. After learning more of our surroundings, then we can make better plans about our tech route.

Comment

So far, the discussion has ignored that differenal in costs between how much it takes for us to reserach anything and how much it costs for any of the other 23 AIs to reserach anything, and how unlikely it is to beat 23 AIs to anything in ancient era when their sliders are all on 80%+ and having lower reserach costs.

There's little point in actively reseraching on Deity in early game. It will be much, much cheaper to buy or extort techs than actively reseraching.

The only real question in my mind is would we want to invest 1 gold per turn in a very expensive tech that the AIs bypass in hope of getting it virutally for free, or is that 1 gold per turn better used building up the tresury.

On Happiness: we can use the following to keep order initally.

1. 2 Warriors per city as martial law. (definately)

2. Perhaps there's a luxary within 3 tiles from our capital that can be connected soon.

3. REX if there's not an oppoent too close, keeping our population down.

4. If there is an oppoent close, a state of war seems to make an extra citizen happy.
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

panag - we can't research Iron Working right off the bat. We'd probably extort it anyway. Please keep this thread relevant.

Comment

There will be some techs we need to get ASAP and we can't always rely on the civs closest to us getting them, nor can we rely on them actually allowing us to buy them! Until we get to Berzerkers I think some research should be done, but from then on the bulk I imagine will be spoils of war and purchases.
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                          panag - we can't research Iron Working right off the bat. We'd probably extort it anyway. Please keep this thread relevant.

hi ,

skywalker , in what possible way is the message not related or relevant , ...

how we get it does not matter , that we need it ASAP , now that matters , ....

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Ceremonial burial sounds like a good idea, since IMHO we want to get to Monarchy ASAP. The only other possile option is Bronze Working, since we might want teh warly defense. There is no real reason to research Horseback Riding since any early attack will be with archers anyways. Alphabet & Masonry will just take too long.
                            Citizen of the Apolyton team in the ISDG
                            Currently known as Senor Rubris in the PTW DG team

Comment

Working...
                            X