Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we want to try to have a $Mini-Game with the new Democracy game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleted.
    Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; June 22, 2003, 10:00.

Comment

sure, I'm in...

E_T
      Come and see me at WePlayCiv
      Worship the Comic here!
      Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Yay! That will make a HUGE difference in the longevity of the game. The computation of the final sale prices wasn't that bad, but calculating each players transactions and bank balances were killers.

I'm thinking we should have Market Makers like the real exchanges. Each Market (Food, Shields, Commerce, Alcohol, etc.) could have one Market Maker who tracks and computes the prices and transactions for that specific market. This would make the workload much easier to bear.
        why not make some sort of PHP + mySQL system do do the calculations for you?
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

i dont pretend to know the mechanics of the $mini-game, but surely a system could be created.

i mean, come on. if you have a database of every user's holdings, how hard would it be to write a script that updated them?

i'm not sure how things get updated, exactly, but if the need be, you could input some sort of update #s, and they would be applied to everyone's accounts... it really doesn't seem all that complex, to someone completely ignorant to the $mini-game rules
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Deleted.
            Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; June 22, 2003, 10:01.

Comment

I could write a program that did it all in real-time... but it would have no security.

Well, I could password it...

Comment

However, it WOULD take me a while... and it'd be in telnet... /me wavers

Comment

That would be nice, and I would think fairly easy as the $Mini-game is fairly simple but alas I have no idea how to set something like that up.

The last one was simply me keeping track of everything in an Excel spreadsheet. I would think if we had a way to run some sort of self updating database/spreadsheet that players could access and input their transactions via the internet it would be far more successful and less time consuming than the last one.
                  i know PHP and mySQL well enough to throw something together, i suppose, and if sanctioned by Markos, Apolyton could host it (if not, i got a server).

edit: but i know little to nothing of the mini-game itself

Comment

i found a thread here: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...light=minigame but i'm not sure if these are the updated rules or anything, or if you want to change anything nw that you get a clean start.

try to compose a list of rules / etc and i'll get around to coding it (i have 3 more tests this week, ugh)

Comment

my first major question about how it works would be with the updating. i'm assuming you'd need it to update everyone's data every day. are the user's holdings based on some sort of central value scale or anything?

ugh, i can't even start coding a framework because i don't know what i'm coding

Comment

also, if you have any input on how it should be designed (if you have any idea of program / database design), i'm all ears. since you've been dealing with it for a long time, you should know what should go where

Comment

Deleted.
                          Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; June 22, 2003, 10:01.

Comment

I can give you the ratios and formulas I used. It would be nice if we could create "tiles" and then have some sort of flag assigning it to its owner. Each player then gets the income from all his owned tiles and it could carry over any unsold goods.
                            how are tiles sorted? are they given (x,y) coords? as we discover more land, do tiles have to be added?

Comment

As there appears to be interest, I would recomend starting a new thread with the current rules and recomendations to update them as necessary (I am not familiar and wasn't involved last time, and am not sure if I will be this time).
                              If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

2 tests left for tomorrow, then a CompSci project due next thursday.

all my assignments seem to fall in the same week. but at least i got nothing to do for another 5 or so

Comment

Working...
                                X