hey can i play with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey can i play with this?

i have civ 3 play the world. now if i EVER get in a position to become a military adviser, science advisor, trade thingy or the prez of a civ 3 democracy game, can i still upload the save games if i have civ 3 play the world?

SECOND! MY SCREEN NAME IS NASTY BUT LOOK AT MY SIGNITURE! I DIDNT MAKE IT UP!
    Travis King
    (I hate my screen name, my little
    brother made it up.)

You'll need to do a dual install of PtW 1.xx and Civ3 1.29f. However, seeing that the last elections just ended, I doubt you'll get to be one in time.

---

If your nick bugs you that much, try PMing one of the mods (Ming, MarkG, DanQ, etc.) requesting it to be changed.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

BT - although you will be able to load the Democracy save in any version of Civ3 from 1.21 onwards, if you are a Minister who needs to make orders, you will find that the results of the orders are actually different for different versions of Civ/PtW. This is because the patches have had some tweaks that Firaxis has made to them.

Do what I do - I have the latest version of Play the World installed, and that is what I play my personal games on. For the purposes of the Demo game I need Civ3 v1.29f (IIRC), so I found the PtW directory and renamed it. I then reinstalled Civ3 into another directory, making sure that the icon that went on the desktop was renamed "Civilization 3 v1.29f". Once this was done and working, I renamed the directory I had changed to the original name. Now I can use either shortcut to start the version I want at the drop of a hat.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Yep.

However, this game is nearing a close with any luck, and we will be starting anew. It is quite possible we will be playing PTW.
        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

posted above:

SECOND! MY SCREEN NAME IS NASTY BUT LOOK AT MY SIGNITURE! I DIDNT MAKE IT UP!

Originally posted by mrmitchell
          ---

If your nick bugs you that much, try PMing one of the mods (Ming, MarkG, DanQ, etc.) requesting it to be changed.
          It bugs me. Furthermore, my wife was watching some of the fun, as she occasionally does - and she found it offensive as well.

I have already PM'd Ming with a complaint.

Show a bit of class will you, please.
          Last edited by Beta; March 18, 2003, 22:53.
          Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Err... hate to break it to you, guys, but now that we're playing with 1.29f, all you have to do is pop the Civ3 CD in instead of the PTW one. No need for double installs; PTW preserves the option to play with vanilla Civ3 1.29f

Comment

Originally posted by Kloreep
              Err... hate to break it to you, guys, but now that we're playing with 1.29f, all you have to do is pop the Civ3 CD in instead of the PTW one. No need for double installs; PTW preserves the option to play with vanilla Civ3 1.29f
              Thanks Kloreep. I did not know this.

I presume you just pop in the Civ3 CD and start up PTW. Or if you were in PTW, do you even have to exit first?

doh - guess I could just check myself.
              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

You have to run the Civ3 .exe instead of the PTW .exe. You can do that by just running different shortcuts (or, if you have autorun enabled, it'll take care of itself; the autorun window the Civ3 CD pops up will run vanilla Civ3, even with PTW installed).

Comment

Originally posted by BetaHound

It bugs me. Furthermore, my wife was watching some of the fun, as she occasionally does - and she found it offensive as well.

I have already PM'd Ming with a complaint.

Show a bit of class will you, please.
                  That's a little bit intolerant of a new guy, BH, and not what I thought of you so far.

He stated he didn't like it, and he obviously wants it changed. You read his post above and mrmitchell's post giving him the info he needs to change it. And yet you STILL complain before there has been enough time to right the wrong himself?

I sincerely hope nothing comes of your premature and unnecessary complaint than a speedier nick change.

And on Topic - thanks for the info guys! I will try that when I get home - one install directory for two games - wow!

EDIT: And with this post, Lo, another Emperor was born....
                  Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; March 19, 2003, 06:45.
                  Consul.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

That's a little bit intolerant of a new guy, BH, and not what I thought of you so far.

He stated he didn't like it, and he obviously wants it changed. You read his post above and mrmitchell's post giving him the info he needs to change it. And yet you STILL complain before there has been enough time to right the wrong himself?

I sincerely hope nothing comes of your premature and unnecessary complaint than a speedier nick change.

EDIT: And with this post, Lo, another Emperor was born....
                    Sorry you feel that way MWIA. I am very tolerant of different views and actions. But this is clearly offensive. And much more so to female viewers or members. It is nowhere close to being in a gray area, or even remotely humourous.

And if he didn't like it, then he did have a choice to change it when he signed up.

And yes - I trust he will make the right choice now.

And in my view, my complaint was necessary. And it was not premature. And I sincerely do hope something comes of it. That is why I complained in the first place.

And to be honest - I'm surprised I am even being challenged on this.

Let's get the name changed and move on.

btw - congrats on Emperor. Wish it was on a more noble and uplifting issue.
                    Last edited by Beta; March 19, 2003, 09:53.

Comment

/me shrugs

I guess we and our girlfriends/wives just have different sensitivity levels. And I like to judge people more on what they post rather than some silly online name.

Anyway, points made and heard. Let's cut it here.
                      Consul.

Comment

Without getting drug down into this...

Perhaps I should be rethinking what I had planned for this last Gazette...

BT,

Don't mind Beta. Just get it changed, and don't think twice about it.
                        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

Anyway, points made and heard. Let's cut it here.

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                            Without getting drug down into this...

Perhaps I should be rethinking what I had planned for this last Gazette...

BT,

Don't mind Beta. Just get it changed, and don't think twice about it.
                            'Don't mind Beta.'

Thanks UnOrthOdOx.

'Don't think twice about it.'

Maybe he should have.

Sorry to be so hard-nosed about this guys. But I feel strongly about it. (obviously). And yes, there are clearly different sensibility levels involved. But I don't appreciate, nor to be honest, do I understand, my concerns being swept away or trivialized.

When one of you feels strongly about a game or admin or membership issue - I respect your views. Even when a position one of you takes, may, to me, appear unreasonable.

I welcome any and all new members. And truly do I welcome BT as well, but with a different name. And I do admit I reacted quickly.

So - in an effort to put closure on this - I will restate my message above, and direct it to BT. And then lets leave it at that. OK.

to BT from Beta

BT - welcome to the wonderful world of Apolyton. Glad to have you aboard. I really am.

However, I find your handle offensive. My wife does as well, and she is often looking over my shoulder when I am on-line. It would be greatly appreciated if you would contact one of the administrators as soon as possible and get it changed. I'm sure you can explain to your brother the reasons why.

Thank-you. And once again - welcome.

.... sincerely .... Beta.

Comment

Beta,

I am not going to argue the pro's and con's of the subject in question.

This is a sensitive subject, I know. I was not trying to put it in a way that made you feel I was making light of your stance. Just trying to let someone know it will all be forgotten in short order with a simple fix, assuming that BT is still around to be reading. Perhaps I am suffering from some regional dialect that I try to avoid most often. Saying 'dont mind' someone usually means the equivalent of 'he is a good guy, you should really get to know him' when the person in question says something that could be considered rude. Perhaps this is a local dialect, though, and I meant no offense if you took it as me brushing you aside. I was trying to tell BT he should get to know you before judging you and/or leaving. I stand by saying once the name is changed, there should be no thought given it again.

And this is not the first time we have had problems with people "reacting quickly" to new members. You prove in the last post that you could have made your own statement in a way that was not confrontational, and constructive the first time.

"When one of you feels strongly about a game or admin or membership issue - I respect your views. Even when a position one of you takes, may, to me, appear unreasonable."

Oh, you can name me by name, no problem. I left the ISDG for reasons that most of you don't know, not what you saw in the forum. But, for the record, I reserve the right to act however I wish to accusations of myself becomming a cheater, or leaking out information, it had nothing, really, to do with what happened in public. And judging from responses made to me personally in private, most feel it was a good decision to leave, let's just leave it at that.
                              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X