Irony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irony

I just noticed that the President is the LEAST powerful person in the game.

He can't post Senate Bills.

He can't issue orders.

He has the tiny offset of being able to veto stuff, but EVERY minister has that.

This is kind of freaky.

Quite true. Vote for my (forthcoming) amendment, which will give another (rarely used) power to the Prez.

I think being President is all about prestige in this game. On the other hand, organizing and playing chats is a big responsibility, so the President's post is an important, if not powerful, one.
    "The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"
    Former President, C3SPDGI

Comment

Hrm. Being Prez sucks then.

At least he gets to live in the Presidential Mansion.

Thud--correct, prez=prestige & chat-org
      (glory and tedious work )

We need to give the President some emergency powers then.
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Nay on the emergency powers! That is, unless it's Aro or Aggie.

For some reason I don't trust Arnelos with those type of powers....although I think that has more to do with the Palpatine avatar than Arnelos himself, but still....
        Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
        Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Re: Irony

Originally posted by skywalker
          I just noticed that the President is the LEAST powerful person in the game.

He can't post Senate Bills.

He can't issue orders.

He has the tiny offset of being able to veto stuff, but EVERY minister has that.

This is kind of freaky.
          I remember the days when I was Prez... before the NewCon came into effect - no Senate, not nearly as many amendments, chats only lasted 6 or so hours..... those were the days. Lucky I got out before the coup that denied the President everything but Mod status.
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Skywalker,

That may actually beat the irony of the fact that I agree with your argument in Court Case #9 (though I would have argued it rather differently had I been in your shoes)
            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

People seem to forget that the Old President was a puppet. Had no power whatsoever. The current President decided budget matters (when there is no direct Senate order), decides research, picks his own VP, and takes over for all of the other execs in the chain of command whenever they fail to show up.

Plus he's got veto powers and appoints judges and replacement ministers.

Not a dictator by any stretch of the imagination, but still a big improvement over how it used to be.

--Togas
              Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
              Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
              Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
              Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

I remember when I was President... anything went.

I found that my job was more to make the rules than enact them... Then again, there were no rules, so that's expected...

Hehe, glad I'm not around anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                  I remember when I was President... anything went.

I found that my job was more to make the rules than enact them... Then again, there were no rules, so that's expected...

Hehe, glad I'm not around anymore.
                  hi ,

yeah , those where great days , .....

so when are you going to be Prez again Trip

as long as UberKruX is going to be SMC its going to be very fine

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Togas
                    People seem to forget that the Old President was a puppet. Had no power whatsoever.
                    I dunno technically the pres didn't have much power but in practice if he wanted to he could control the whole game. Sometimes I was more of a dictator than a pres what with all the secret meetings, disregarding orders and random renaming of cities that went on. But most of the time I was just a performing monkey.

MWIA on the other hand made Saddam Hussain look like a school teacher. jk.
                    Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Originally posted by OPD

I dunno technically the pres didn't have much power but in practice if he wanted to he could control the whole game. Sometimes I was more of a dictator than a pres what with all the secret meetings, disregarding orders and random renaming of cities that went on. But most of the time I was just a performing monkey.

MWIA on the other hand made Saddam Hussain look like a school teacher. jk.

OPD, you are in top form!
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas
                      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Our former Presidents were quite scandalous!

You couldn't get away with it anything like that now, without running the risk of getting impeached.
                          Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                          Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

I wonder how the Trip-Ninot presidential election would have played out in the court...

Comment

Well, okay, if the emergency powers idea is hated, how's about we give Presidents regular Senator abilities too?
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                              X