Senate Bill: Official Sessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate Bill: Official Sessions

This bill will authorise decisions reached in any meeting of the Senate posted on the forum at least 24 hours in advance and meeting quorum to have all of the constitutional authority of a normal threaded Senate Bill.

This bill expires in 72 hours.
    Yea
    55.56%
    Nay
    37.04%
    Abstain
    7.41%

The poll is expired.

"The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"
    Former President, C3SPDGI

Um.....

YES
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

I believe this is already allowed under the newcon, but please vote yes just to eliminate doubt.
      Aggie
      The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

As a simple Senate Bill, this will almost certainly fail a constitutional challenge due to it's inherent disenfranchisement nature.

Now on the otherhand, if this were to be recast as an Amendment, it would probably fail but become the beginnings of a meaningful discussion.

Realistically, the only times this sort of thing happens is when the chat is stopped due to an emergency event such as war or GL usage etc. And even war events probably don't need a special session since the requisite bill is easily drafted as a simple Yea, Nay, Abstain. I think the proper course in light of recent experience is that whenever a chat is stopped for an event likely to create complex voting issues, the Administration immediately post a Special Session request including Proxy Voting features, but not specifying which normal bills will be proxied until they become apparent.

So based on the above I urge all my colleagues to vote Nay to this bill.
        I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

Excellent idea.

--Togas
          Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
          Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
          Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
          Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Actually, the constitution gives us the power to organize our procedures. If our bill passing procedure takes place on a chatroom instead of this forum (even though it will fufill all bill regulations when posted on chat), then that is within our rights.
            "The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"

Comment

The constitution is very clear about never denying citizens their franchise. Other than that we have the ability to organize ourselves as we see fit.
              I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

Originally posted by roadcage
                The constitution is very clear about never denying citizens their franchise. Other than that we have the ability to organize ourselves as we see fit.
                It sounds like it would be useful for the Court to deliberate on their chosen interpretation of the current rules...

Justices? (hint!)
                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

I think this is an excellent idea.
                  Join NANESIA starting now in the Stories and Diplomacy Forum!
                  Prime Minister Calvin Williams of Britain in SHNESA
                  Prime Minister Yasser Arafat of Palestine in stAZNES2 (Apolyton)

Comment

A Capitol Idea. There should only be times that this will be used, but this should be allowed.

E_T
                    Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                    Worship the Comic here!
                    Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Yes. This will make my job... sorry, I meant Arnelo's job, easier in the next term.
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas
                      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I agree that this is legal in that the Senate can organize its procedures and disenfranchisement is not an issue, but it seems to violate this part of the constitution, unless the meeting would be 3 days long:
                        (d) The poll [for a Senate Bill] must be open for at least 72 hours.
                        Also, this seems to be violated:
                        To propose a law, a senator (or minister under the conditions above) [added by Amendment I, 12/23/02] must post a poll that is clear, unbiased, states the proposed law in its entirety, and gives three options: “yea”, “nay”, and “abstain”.

Comment

I can put you at ease for the latter: A Senator will post the non-biased, clear, and states the law, with three options, in the chatroom. Then everyone present will vote in that chatroom.

Comment

Unless, the chat room activity went on for 72 hours, it would still fail the first part of the above mentioned quote.

Some people aren't able to make the chats, but are able to visit the boards. These people would be automatically left out.

Comment

Sirs, I am one of those people frequently unable to join the chatroom, however I am the sponsor of this bill. I beleive this bill is of national importance.

Furthermore, there are certain procedures allowing those unable to attend to PM their vote to a justice. I did not feel it necessary to include these in my bill as those procedures may change.

Comment

Working...
                              X