Stop selling luxuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop selling luxuries

After I've made a bundle techwhoring, I cut off all luxuries. This is often the time I build embassies, and I often see entainers in their capitols, and construction of cathedrals etc. Also since not all civs can sell a particular luxury, it becomes possible to restrict sales, unlike techs. When I've spent all my money, I just go for a new round of techwhoring.

I then only sell luxuries to those civs I want to prop up and always offer them during military alliances. As for resources, I sell them to those based on balance of power concerns - the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

IMHO, we should continue to sell luxaries, but only at a fair price.

As for resources: We should not sell any more Rubber except for balance of power concerns. Oil & Alluminum will be in the same category when we discover them.

As for Uraninum, we should never sell any at any price.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

We are rapidly approaching the point where we no longer have to sell luxuries in order to fund our infrastructure rush builds and military upgrades. Infact we will most likely reach that point before any current lux deals come up for re-negotiation. In personal games, when the aforesaid state of nirvana is achieved, I become extremely selective in both the who and how much areas for future lux sales.

And also, to remind others of another issue from yesterturn, this is where I become willing to yield the embargo WMD.

Ssgt roadcage (retired)
      I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

I have a different opinion on this matter.
        Currently, I see no threats to us anywhere in the world, except perhaps Greece and Rome. We can exclude these two nations from luxury deals, but with regard to other nations, I think we should continue to sell them techs.
        The rational behind this is that we have no interest to see the other economies of the world break down. The world's economies are feeding us with gpt for our techs and luxuries. If we deny them important luxuries, this will hamper their economy and they will produce less commerce, the end result of which is that they will have less to pay us.

Of course, strategic resources are wholly different and we should refrain from selling them. In any case, our techs, maps and some luxuries will be plenty enough to drain the world's piggy banks.
        "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
        And the truth isn't what you want to see,
        Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

The value of luxaries also increases as population increases. In the modern era, it's not unheard of for fair value of a luxary to be over 30 GPT.
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Not selling luxuries is only logical :
            We suck all our neighbours' money by selling them techs, so they don't have any money left for luxuries. If we sell them luxuries, it will only reduce the amount of money we can sell techs to them. In the end, we get as much money by selling techs or by selling luxuries + techs (did I get this right ?)

However, I am in favor of keeping selling luxuries :
            The more you trade with other Civs, the less prone they are to declare war or embargo to you. This can be of importance when buying strategic resources (I whoelheartedly agree with Shiber on selling resources).

It appears most of our citizens want to have peace until tanks are around, and some (like me, but I'm not the only one) want peace for a longer period, or maybe until the end of the game. Keeping good relationship with our neighbours until we are warring again will be important, and trading luxuries will help.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spiffor, what I do when the AI can't afford both luxaries & techs is stop selling techs and keep selling the luxaries.

The price of tech is also highly dependant on how many people have it. I've often seen situations where only 1 AI could afford full price as the first to be sold to, but an additional AI could afford the fair price as the 2nd to receive this tech, and the remaining AIs could all afford the fair price as the 3rd+ AI to receive this tech.
              Templar Science Minister

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                Spiffor, what I do when the AI can't afford both luxaries & techs is stop selling techs and keep selling the luxaries.

The price of tech is also highly dependant on how many people have it. I've often seen situations where only 1 AI could afford full price as the first to be sold to, but an additional AI could afford the fair price as the 2nd to receive this tech, and the remaining AIs could all afford the fair price as the 3rd+ AI to receive this tech.
                It seems that the AI may only try to sell a tech once or twice, then if the other AI can't afford it, it gives up. If I run low on money, I try to sell the tech again.

Comment

For tech selling, I:

1. Save the game.

2. For each AI still in the game, write down how much they'll pay for each tech they need as well as how much they are possibiliy willing to pay for anything. I also note if they have any techs I don't.

3. Decide if I'll sell the tech for that price.

4. Reload the save.

5. If selling, sell in order of high price to low price until no AI left can afford the fair price.

I also play on Tiny maps, so the above process doesn't take nearly as long as it would on bigger maps.
                  Templar Science Minister

Comment

Yes, they should pay full, fair market value, and not merely 1 gold less than "Can't be Done".
                    Templar Science Minister

Comment

As it has been said before, luxury would be a great way to prevent neighboring nation to wage war on us. Thats a great benefit, even if we were to give it to them for free.
                      :-p

Comment

I trade my luxuries to everyone and pull them right before I attack. That way their cities go into chaos the first turns of the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                          As it has been said before, luxury would be a great way to prevent neighboring nation to wage war on us. Thats a great benefit, even if we were to give it to them for free.
                          hi ,

, never , what are they going to do , coming and taking it by force , ....

nah , we should give them nothing if they cant pay for it , .....

have a nice day
                          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                          X