Discussion: A Compromise to the Worker Integration Arguments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion: A Compromise to the Worker Integration Arguments

I, for one, believe that the arguments concerning integrating workers into our cities have gone on for much too long. There have been many discussion threads, one senate bill, one executive veto, and one court case fighting against that veto, all of which are concerning worker integration. We need to make a plan for having workers join our cities. It needs to be a plan that makes sense and one that makes as many people happy as possible.

There are two sides in this argument: those who believe that we should have domestic workers join our cities first, and those who believe that we should have foreign workers join our cities first. Both sides of this debate have good arguments. I believe that a compromise between the two sides in this debate is needed to end the arguments, so that we can focus on more important things such as winning the game.

Here's my plan:

In order to please both sides in this argument, we should integrate both foreign and domestic workers into our cities.

For every 1 domestic worker we join into a city, we will also join 1 foreign worker into a city.

We will have the domestic workers join cities on the borders of our empire or join newly captured cities in order to lower the risks of culture flip.

We will have the foreign workers join interior cities, where there is virtually zero chance of culture flip.

We will integrate workers until we have approxamately 50 workers left, some of which will be foreign, and some of which will be domestic. These workers will be left to clear pollution, improve terrain around newly captured cities, and anything else which we need them for.

Hopefully, this compromise will help end this debate about worker integration.

No!

A reasonable approach is to predict the size pollution team we want expressed as worker units or WU's
    (remember 1 national is 2 WU's and 1 foreigner is 1 WU)

First preferentially absorb nationals down to the desired WU level.

Next preferentially absorb foreigners down to the desired WU level

This leaves twice the desired WU strength which is probably about right since estimates are always low

Do furthur absorption on a case by case basis.

For talking purposes I suggest that the WU level required is enough to clean pollution from one grass/desert/plain/tundra + one hill/forest + one mountain tile.

This is 4 + 8 + 12 = 24 WU

So that means
    Absorb nationals down to 12
    Then
    Absorb foreigners down to 24
    Then re-evaluate based on pollution experience
    I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

Aye, this compromise mearly tries to appease what gets integrated at what time. It totally ignores the economic argument about integrating which set of workers provides the biggest monetary gain.

After listening to Shiber and Spiffor, and rechecking some of my theories, I don't think it really neccesarily matters at ALL at this point in time. My argument was we should keep foreign workers last, because we don't have to support them so it would be a better economic incentive.

This basically repeats what Spiffor originally posted in an argument. For every 2 foreign workers we integrate into a city, (providing they have tiles to work) they will at least generate the exact same net revenue as one national worker. If each foreign workers produces a minimum of 1 gold, that "cancels" support for one unit. Then the additional worker would provide the extra profit that the national worker would normally provide.

Now many may look at this and say "But WhiteBandit/Spiffor/Shiber/Someone else, look! You will lose twice as many foreign workers to acheive the same effect!" Yes we will! But remember, our national workers are TWICE as fast as foreign workers. So in essence, it doesn't matter whom we integrate first.

I know their may be some out there who are unhappy with this huge waste of time. I do apologize for being dense and basically dragging on a huge issue.

Shiber, I urge you to carry on with your original plan. And I urge everyone to drop this argument as it really doesn't matter at all who we integrate into cities. The overall effect will be exactly the same. (Nor do I think we need a bill to detail how workers should be integrated, I think Shiber knows well enough what type of worker to put in each city).

Respectfully,

WB
      First Civ3DG: 3rd and 4th Term Minister of Public Works. | Second Civ3DG: First Term Vice President | ISDG: Ambassador in the Foreign Affairs Ministry | Save Apolyton! Kill the Off-Topic Forum!

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
      The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)

Comment

Here is the "compromise" I suggest (actually, it's not a compromise, but the wisest decision economy-wise IMHO)

I estimate the need of workers for pollution-clearing / improving of conquered lands to be 30 natives or 60 slaves (Johncnunn estimates the needs to be 24 natives or 48 slaves)

Once all tiles are improved, I integrate nationals first, until we only have 30 nationals left. Then, I integrate all slaves. Easy ?
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

joncnunn's pollution WU estimate is probably high and mine higher up in this thread is probably low. But the concept is finally correct.
          I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

Well, the compromise bween 12 Native Workers and 24 Native workers would be 18 Native Workers.

Right now, our polution is minimial because we have NO metros, and in my experence a lot more polution is based more on population of the Metros than Factories until Mass Transit Systems are built.
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Sounds good to me.
              One point for keeping more workers than it appears we would need in the near future: as the game progresses, we'd obviously have more pollution to clean. Instead of joining as many workers as we can now and leaving us with a skeleton crew of workers for meeting our current needs (10-12 natives) and then build new workers as the need arises, we should keep 30 natives.
              The rational behind this is: it is wrong to think that workers cost 10 shields to build. In reality, workers cost 10 shields or more. A city that produces 100 shields per turn that builds a workers will waste 90 shields that turn. So in essense, we should follow Spiffor's suggestion and keep 30 natives instead of keeping less now and relying on the possibility to build new workers later, because as I explained building workers in the modern age is highly wasteful.
              "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
              And the truth isn't what you want to see,
              Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

hi ,

we should keep ALL native workers since polution is going to be on its way and new land shall be worked on in the future , .....

all foreign workers should join the cities , .....

have a nice day
                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

If we integrate foreigners first, if we run into money problems we can eigther techwhore or sell luxuries, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it. If we're integrating civs we may fight again we should put an equal # in each city, to keep the happiness balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                    hi ,

we should keep ALL native workers since polution is going to be on its way and new land shall be worked on in the future , .....

all foreign workers should join the cities , .....

have a nice day
                    We have 89 native workers. If we keep all of them, we'd have enough workers to clean 44.5 grass/desert/plain/tundra tiles, or 22.25 hill/forest tiles, or 14.83 mountain tiles, all in one turn, every turn.
                    Do you seriously expect that we'll be facing so much pollution?
                    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                    - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber

We have 89 native workers. If we keep all of them, we'd have enough workers to clean 44.5 grass/desert/plain/tundra tiles, or 22.25 hill/forest tiles, or 14.83 mountain tiles, all in one turn, every turn.
                      Do you seriously expect that we'll be facing so much pollution?
                      hi ,

yes , given the look of the size of our country , .....

we should think of the future , we shall have plenty of work for them , .....

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I'm fairly sure that at the peak of our polution, we won't need more than 24 natives to clear polution every turn it appears even on bad random number generator rolls.

At Roadcages 12 natives, we'd be fine for now, but after much of the emipre reached pop 20, we would fairly often see polution linger when we get unlucky random number generator roles and if Ecology was too low a modern era priority, we may see a backlog in polution develop then.

At the 18 native level, there's a chance that a bad random number generator sequence might result in pollution carrying over for a second turn with much of the pop being 20 but it would be rare and wouldn't lead to a backlog developing.
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

On the plan to keep 30 natives, that's what we would need if we are planning more conquests than just Germany and putting up Factories there prior to Mass Transit being built in our core cities.
                          Templar Science Minister

Comment

hi ,

its going to be a long time before we shall have public transportation and recycling centers , not to mention the other civs on the planet who shall put some polution in our direction , ....

have a nice day

Comment

Working...
                            X