No announcement yet.

Court Case #7 - OFFICIAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Answer to the rest of the plaintiff's arguments on the post dated 23 12 2002.

1st argument :
    ----------------
    Similarly, the bill would prevent all Senators from presenting any other type of claim to the Court. This would violate part 3a of Article III, which says:
    quote: 3 The Court shall come together to rule on any issue that is lawfully before it.(a) The Court cannot act on any issue until a non-judicial citizen brings forth an Issue to the Court. Issues to the Court should be posted publicly and must involve a dispute that the Court is empowered to rule upon.

The bill would change this part of the Con in this case, by preventing Senators, who are non-judicial citizens, from presenting Issues to the Court. Again, it is in effect a violation of Article II, part 2g, and Article VI, part 2 both quoted above.
    ------------------

The bill refers to the President faulty action and nothing else. We have already examined why no impeachment call could be made. This argument says that other type of claim could be made if the bill had not passed. We will be pleased to answer specifically when the plaintiff will provide us with a list of the other type of claim he is referring to, claim aiming the President behaviour.

2nd argument :
    ----------------
    The bill also restricts the right to free speech of any Senator who wished to speak to the Court and make a claim for impeachment or any other type of Court action. So it is unconstitutional and again violates part 2g of Article II and part 2 of Article VI. The right to free speech is in part 5 of Article IV, and states:
    quote: 5 Freedom of speech shall not be denied to any citizen unless it violates Apolyton rules.
    ---------------

In our understanding, the right of free speech is precisely the right for an individual to express himself, his thoughts, his beliefs, his political ideas, his loves and hates, freely, that is without risking any harm; it has nothing to do with the capacity to accomplish administrative formalities such as filing a claim, capacity which guaranteed by the freedom and security granted to all citizens by the Constitution. This argument misinterpreting the freedom of speech must be rejected.

3rd argument :
    ----------------
    Additionally, part 8 of Article IV allows due process of law. It states:
    quote: 8 No citizen may be punished in any way without due process of law.
    ----------------

This argument was included in the original complaint. We see no need to repeat it, since it was wrongly evocated.

4th argument :
    ----------------
    Part of part 1 of the bill includes thefollowing language:
    quote: The senate may still pass bills officially censuring any or all members of the term 6 administration.

Censuring is a form of punishment and the Senate in effect is granting itself the power to punish members of the Executive, without allowing for due process of law. This is unconstitutional.
    ----------------

In case 5, Orange versus Reddawg, The Court stated :
    * Censure is not punishment. Censure is an expression of strong disapproval or harsh criticism.*
    We therefore ask for this argument to be rejected.

5th argument :
    ----------------
    That part of the bill not only has the effect of punishing without due process, but it also takes away the power of the Court to decide such issues. Article III states:
    quote: 1 The Court has the power to rule upon contested disputes involving legal interpretations; validity of polls and elections; violations of the Constitution, law, or Executive orders; and any other dispute of national importance.

The bill would take away that right, and therefore is unconstitutional.
    --------------

It has not yet been demonstrated that The Court would not have the power to decide on issues regarding violations of the Constitution, since it is exactly what The Court is currently doing.
    We therefore ask for the argument to be rejected.

6th argument :
    --------------
    Along the same lines, the bill would violate Article VI part 4, which states:
    quote: 4 The Court shall resolve all conflicts of law. The Court’s ruling on an interpretation of law is of the same power and authority as that law.

The Senate can not resolve the conflict of law with this bill, only the Court has that power.
    --------------

Same answer as for 5th argument.

7th argument :
    ---------------
    One last point, while there was a majority of votes by Senators, and a democracy is basically rule by the majority, all democracies seek to protect the rights, granted in their Constitutions, of the minority. The Senate as a body controlled by a vote of only 19 of its members, turn around and void the rights on the remaining members, no matter how small the remainder is. Even if it was one man, the rest could not waive his rights granted in the Constitution.
    --------------------

We are here discussing only of one democracy, the Apolytonian democracy; we do not pretend to rule yet the entire solar system. Apolytonia is still a quite young democracy, and it is well possible that the future will make possible more sophistication in developing the fundamental principles of the democracy. But for the time being, all that we know about democracy is incorporated in our Constitution. For decision making, the authors of the Constitution have not found a better system that the majority, and it was approved massively by the citizens. The bill questioned passed with a majority of 54.2 %; the 19 Senators approving the poll are the legal majority of the Senate. There is not a single word in the Constitution regarding the so-called rights of the minority. There is not a word in the preamble referring to texts or principles dealing with the minority. It is quite surprising that a complaint aiming to defend the Constitution, attacks so violently its fundamental process.
    We therefore ask The Court to simply disregard this argument.

Finally, this volley of seven arguments results in six totally new arguments :
    - one cannot be answered without further details
    - five should be rejected as not appropriate or irrelevant or against The Court jurisprudence.

ManicStarSeed is a fiery defender of our democratic Constitution and contends that the Constitution would not be harmed if the complaint was invalidated.

May I just personally add that a minimal organization of the Senate could have avoided all this trouble.

DAVOUT on behalf of ManicStarSeed
    Last edited by DAVOUT; December 24, 2002, 04:58.
    Statistical anomaly.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

The bill refers to the President faulty action and nothing else. We have already examined why no impeachment call could be made. This argument says that other type of claim could be made if the bill had not passed. We will be pleased to answer specifically when the plaintiff will provide us with a list of the other type of claim he is referring to, claim aiming the President behaviour.
      The administration violated the constitutional requirement for all MPP's to be approved by the Senate. Even if they can't be impeached they can be sued for violating the constitution.

It has not yet been demonstrated that The Court would not have the power to decide on issues regarding violations of the Constitution, since it is exactly what The Court is currently doing.
      From the Constitution:
      The Court has the power to rule upon contested disputes involving legal interpretations; validity of polls and elections; violations of the Constitution, law, or Executive orders; and any other dispute of national importance.
      There is not a word in the preamble referring to texts or principles dealing with the minority. It is quite surprising that a complaint aiming to defend the Constitution, attacks so violently its fundamental process.
      From the Constitution:
      3 The Court shall come together to rule on any issue that is lawfully before it.
      (a) The Court cannot act on any issue until a non-judicial citizen brings forth an Issue to the Court.
      Although it is not explicitly stated, it is quite clear from this that there is a fundamental right to bring cases before the court as long as they are about "legal interpretations; validity of polls and elections; violations of the Constitution, law, or Executive orders; [or] any other dispute of national importance" (III, 1).

Comment

[EDIT: crossposted with Civman, but I'll leave it up.]

To DAVOUT:

To answer your question: other claims to the Court include but are not limited to (they are only limited by the imagination of any plaintiff, I suppose):

1. claims for censure
        2. claims for legal interpretation
        3. claims to kick members out of the game
        4. claims for interpretation of the Constitution

Note: We are not attacking ManicStarSeed and agree he is a "fiery defender" of our Game, and much more..he is an active and avid participant. The claim is to invalidate part 1 of the bill, not anything ManicStarSeed has done in the past or will do in the future. I hope he does not take this personal, the bill needs to be addressed by the Court, for future reference and consideration of the Game, not to punish ManicStarSeed. And we ask for no punishment, just invalidation of part 1 of the poll.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.
        Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
        "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

Thank you jdjdjd.

I understand now that the Senators have deprive themselves of the right to sue Aggie :
          - in claiming for censure : I would be interested to read a decision of The Court on such a political matter when the Senate has just pardoned Aggie.
          - in claiming for legal interpretation or for interpretation of the Constitution : I would be interested to see in which terms The Court would refuse such interpretation on the basis of the contested bill.
          - in claiming to kick Aggie out of the game : not realistic, don?t you think ?
          In other words, the Senators have really deprived themselves of the right to sue Aggie in claiming for censure, which, as you know now, is not a punishment. You will admit that people who have just pardon a fault, will not resent as a big loss the waiving of the right to get the culprit admonished.
          This point, on which the whole case is build, cannot have any consequence in the present and will have no effect on the future of Apolitonia.
          Statistical anomaly.

Comment

- in claiming for censure : I would be interested to read a decision of The Court on such a political matter when the Senate has just pardoned Aggie.
            - in claiming for legal interpretation or for interpretation of the Constitution : I would be interested to see in which terms The Court would refuse such interpretation on the basis of the contested bill.
            - in claiming to kick Aggie out of the game : not realistic, don?t you think ?
            For each of the three things, you essentially say it would be unlikely or strange for the court to accept such a case. However, it is still possible that any of these could happen.

Comment

You know the saying : the excess of law denies law. We are in such a case. The bill is not perfect, but it was a serious and positive thing to do at the moment. The arguments you use to invalidate it are artificial, theorical at best, wrong most often. It was also possible that Aggie resigns and leaves, as he actually proposed, and this would have hurt much more the game that an hypothetical and in any case excessively tiny unconstitutionality.
              Last edited by DAVOUT; December 24, 2002, 14:06.
              Statistical anomaly.

Comment

The bill is not perfect, but it was a serious and positive thing to do at the moment.
                If it's not perfect, it has errors. I don't expect anyone to be able to write perfect bills, but if they are imperfect, they can be challenged. But you have been drawing this debate away from my main complaint. My main complaint is that it is against both the basic principles of a true democracy that the right to have their case heard in court as well as the Apolytonian Constitution. You may say that it would be unreasonable or whatever to sue in this case, but that does not mean that right need not be protected. As I have said, I support the idea of the law, but cannot accept the details. I rest my case (unless i find a compelling reason to say something I or jdjdjd haven't already said, which I doubt).

Comment

Case #7 Appeal

1. Justice TOGAS was a member of the Cabinet at the time the Senate bill was posted. We believe that he should not have participated in the decision.

2. We understand that The Court went beyond the complaint which was asking only for the invalidation of the first part of the bill, and did so without, as stated in the decision, examining the second part. We believe that The Court should have either invalidated the first part only, or would have examined the second part before invalidating the whole bill.
                  Statistical anomaly.

Comment

The court is looking into your request for an appeal.
                    If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Whooooooo stop!
                      Right there.

For the record,
                      I can accept judgment as is, so long as the court Conciously decides that the poll is completely invalid because one clause is.
                      That is fine, I can accept that. All I ask is for the court to consider the fact that the complaint was not about part 2 so why touch it? Maybe a judgment on its merits and letting it stand with a warning for the future will work? Either way, I can accept it.

I know that DAVOUT is trying to defend this law (and me ) in this case, Thank you DAVOUT, but you should have asked me about this first. We could have discussed our real options.

I agreed to let the decision to be binding. I mean it "NO APPEALS".
                      Simple,

Mss

[edit] typo
                      Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Comment

Just a quick quote from the official decision,
                        The poll may be redone without the aforementioned (i.e. Unconstitutional) portions if so desired
                        We give no assurances that part II of the bill, the part which was unchallanged, is Constitutionally sound, however, as it was not challanged we cannot judge the validity of it and invite the defendant to resubmit it to the Senate as a new bill.

--Justice Togas
                        Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                        Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
                        Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
                        Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Fine for me ManicStarSeed; the appeal was technical, it is why I did not ask.
                          Freed from your defense, I will start, in my own name, a case of impeachment for Aggie, Togas and Arnelos, who are no longer under the protection of the Senate bill pardonning the wrongdoings. I have of course nothing personnel against these remarquable citizens, but The Court has finally convinced me that I have the right to sue these honorable persons, and that no circumstances could depreciate that right.

Please, let me know if I have to file any formal request in addition to this declaration.
                          Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
                            Fine for me ManicStarSeed; the appeal was technical, it is why I did not ask.
                            Freed from your defense, I will start, in my own name, a case of impeachment for Aggie, Togas and Arnelos, who are no longer under the protection of the Senate bill pardonning the wrongdoings. I have of course nothing personnel against these remarquable citizens, but The Court has finally convinced me that I have the right to sue these honorable persons, and that no circumstances could depreciate that right.

Please, let me know if I have to file any formal request in addition to this declaration.
                            Please create a new thread for this purpose and post your argument there. You'll want to review Art V of the Con for some procedural guidelines.

As I am named a defendant in these proceedings I cannot participate in the initial proceeding, although I do get to post my defense. Our fine Vice President Panag takes my place in The Court for the purpose of this proceeding only as per Art V, Sec 1 (b).

--Togas
                            Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                            Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
                            Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
                            Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

DAVOUT to start a case you will need to send your complaint to a judge by PM with exactly who you are suing and how you think they violated the constitution.

Thank You,
                              Sheik
                              For your photo needs:
                              http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

It is done Sheik, I opened a new thread. If something is missing, please let me know.
                                Thanks.
                                Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Working...
                                X