Amendment: Ministerial Bill Proposal/"Universal Bill Proposal"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amendment: Ministerial Bill Proposal/"Universal Bill Proposal"

This amendment would change this section of Article II (the Senate) in the constitution:
    2 Any Senator may propose a law.
    (a) To propose a law, a senator must post a poll that is clear, unbiased, states the proposed law in its entirety, and gives three options: “yea”, “nay”, and “abstain”.
    To this (changes in bold):
    2 Any Senator may propose a law. Any Minister may propose a law that addresses one of the powers granted to their office.
    (a) To propose a law, a senator (or minister under the conditions above) must post a poll that is clear, unbiased, states the proposed law in its entirety, and gives three options: “yea”, “nay”, and “abstain”.
    As required by the constitution, this poll will last 7 days. The prepoll discussion is located here.

For reference, here is the text of Article IX, Amendments:
    1. Amendments to this Constitution can be proposed by any citizen. An amendment is passed and made official when 2/3rds or more of the citizens who vote approve of the change to the Constitution.
    (a) A poll to pass an amendment must be clear, unbiased, state the full text of the change proposed, and be open for at least 7 days.
    (b) Abstain votes are not counted for or against passage.
    Yay
    81.82%
    Nay
    15.91%
    Abstain
    2.27%

The poll is expired.

I voted Yay. It is enough different from yea to make the result of this poll questionnable ...
    Statistical anomaly.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Davout just had to go and ruin a perfect 100%.....
      Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
      Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

This will streamline the process and add much needed flexibility. While I like the checks and balances, the Ministers should be able to propose bills that fall under their direct jurisdiction

Mss
        Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Comment

I take a page from the great OPD and misspell something, and it breaks the 100%. Ah well...

Just kidding. It was actually a real mistake. One I've made many times before, now that I think about it...

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
            I voted Yay. It is enough different from yea to make the result of this poll questionnable ...
            I'd call you a disperfectionist, if there was such a term.
            "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
            And the truth isn't what you want to see,
            Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
            - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I say yes.

It gives ministers slightly more power, but still maintains the checks and balances. (If the senate doesn't like the minister's proposal, they can still vote it down.)

Comment

E_T
                Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                Worship the Comic here!
                Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Hmm... 2 nays now. Do some people just hate my spelling, or will someone actually present an argument against this amendment?

Comment

Kloreep you are a great speller.

I think Davout just decided to be a poop.
                    Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                    Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

I'm joking around.

But seriously, does anyone have an objection to this amendment? I doubt your silent vote is going to persuade anyone, and a healthy democracy should have debates. (Though what there is debate over this poll, I can't imagine, or I would post counter-arguments to the points I could think of.)

Comment

^bump^
                        Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                        Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
                        Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
                        Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

As simple as this is, amendments really should be kept on the front page.

^bump^

Comment

This is a good ammendment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloreep
                              As simple as this is, amendments really should be kept on the front page.

^bump^
                              ^Top^
                              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                              X