As of 1220 AD we have the following forces available for war with Germany:

9 explorers
    28 riflemen
    37 cavalary
    18 cannons

additionally, we have:

2 knights
    5 swordsmen
    1 longbowman (I have no idea how he got built)
    19 muskets
    2 settlers
    2 galleys
    2 caravels
    1 galleon
    1 ironclad

AND we have the following units in defense of Uber Island:

1 cavalary
    2 riflemen
    3 muskets

Some of these may be used for home defense, but due to the rapid development of railroads every one of our cities is now instantly connected to all other cities (mainland only), very few need to be allocated as such. Our defense may be fluid and troops may be moved to any front as necessary.

Our military advisor indicates that, compared to Germany, we have a strong military.

Diplomatically, the only MPPs in existance at this time are between England & Rome, and Rome & Japan. Germany has no sworn allies and, hopefully, will not have any prior to the invasion, however, it may be in our best interest to sign MPPs now with the Aztecs and Greeks to ensure that the Germans do not beat us to it.

Be aware that if we bring England into this war and Germany strikes them, Rome and Japan may be dragged along as well. We are starting the first "World War" that this planet has seen. This is going to be very messy.

I would recommend that we sign a RoP with our eventual ally the Aztecs, and possibly other allied nations. They could use our railway lines to instantly become involved in the war (once a railway bypass is built by Timeline and Gaia) and due to the seemless flow of our lines, they would rarely, if ever, end a turn in our territory. In fact we may want to build railway lines directly to our borders to facilitiate their movement into and OUT OF our territory instantly.

Electricity will be finished next turn. Afterwards, I understand that the plan is to research Scientific Method, however, I would propose that we research Replaceable Parts instead. This advance would give us Infantry(6/10/1) and Artillary(12/0/1 with range of 2 and rate of fire of 2!) (and allow our workers to work 2x as fast). These advancements would allow us to upgrade our riflemen into invincible defenders with the attack strength of a cav and upgrade our cannons into double attack models with long range.

These upgrades may not be ready for the first turn of the war, but the war will last THE DURATION OF OUR MPP, and these upgrade would be ready a turn or two into the war. They could give us a substantial military boost after our initial shock assault.

--Togas
    Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
    Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
    Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
    Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

I agree with most of what you said here Togas.

However, I would take exception to the point about replacable parts. We need top get Scientific method first so that we can get a head start on ToE. Then we should go for Replacable Parts. I bet we can get Sci. Met. with in 4-5 turns. Then replacable parts 4-7 turns after that. I know that puts RP (and artiliary) 8-12 turns out, but getting ToE will just about guarentee a real tech lead. Especially with a crippled Germany.

Another point, Lets get england in the war Especially if rome and Japan get involved. This will hamstring all these nations as well. If we avoid RoPs with them, then by the time their forces get to the front, the front will have moved and maybe germany will be non-existant.

As long as we stay "friends" with everybody, then there are no real worries.

Just My 2 cents
    Mss
    Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Comment

Re: Readiness for the Great War, 1220AD

Would it be possible to start pre-building ToE with the palace? That way, we could research Replacable Parts first while not loosing any time on ToE.

Originally posted by Togas
      1 longbowman (I have no idea how he got built)
      Probably an upgraded Archer. He's likely been around since our very first war, so he should be given a special place of honor.

Comment

Re: Re: Readiness for the Great War, 1220AD

Originally posted by Kloreep
        Would it be possible to start pre-building ToE with the palace? That way, we could research Replacable Parts first while not loosing any time on ToE.
        Great idea.

Probably an upgraded Archer. He's likely been around since our very first war, so he should be given a special place of honor.
        RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

We need the RoP with the Aztecs so we can pre-position the Cologne Assault force.
          I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

This is exactly what we should do with ToE. Start on a Palace ASAP, and when we discover the tech in 10-12 turns, change to ToE.

--Togas
            Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
            Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
            Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
            Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

After some consideration and talks with Prez Aggie, taking the following into account:

1) We would not complete ToE until at most 18 turns from now. This is including the time for building the Factory in Ghengistown. THis will be with Ghengistown at full population and maxed in shield output. It's currently slated to use the Palace as a shield storer until the SM has been researched.

2) That we would most likely get RP after D-Turn, unless we are able to get 4 turns to the tech. Even IF we did get the tech right on D-Turn, it would delay movement of the Artillary until D-Turn plus 1.

We will see exactly how long it will take us to get both RP & SM. If it's an appriciable amount of time, then we'll be going with SM first. If we can afford to wait with the change to ToE, then we'll be going for RP and then SM. We will see what will occur in the Chat on Friday.

The initial Assault will be made with the Cannons. IF we do go for RP, we will likely get it around D-Turn plus 2 to 4. It's planned to cycle in the cannons for Upgrades and combine them with the cannons that are being used, for what ever part of the assult that is occuring at that time.

E_T
              Come and see me at WePlayCiv
              Worship the Comic here!
              Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

ill make my monthly appearance now

boo war!

thankyou
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Re: Readiness for the Great War, 1220AD

Originally posted by Togas
                  As of 1220 AD we have the following forces available for war with Germany:

9 explorers
                  28 riflemen
                  37 cavalary
                  18 cannons
                  --Togas
                  That is the amount of armed forces available only at the moment, but what is the proposed amount of armed forces ready for battle when the invasion date comes?

It would be better to go in and overwhelm them, maybe:

35 riflemen
                  45 cavaly
                  20 cannons
                  w/musketman front lines/home defense just in case the Germans destroy our invading army...

or is this not possible?
                  Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                  Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

I'm not able to see the save now, but we have some cavalry in production, maybe cannons. I'm not sure about Riflemen. If I'm not wrong, most of our queues have factories as #1. Is this correct, E_T?
                    RIAA sucks
                    The Optimistas
                    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Yes, that's Correct. We will have the Factories starting to come online shortly after the war starts. With PW doing it's job, we should have the Factories up before too long. I've had a lot of Trees that I've been saving for just this eventuallity.

We will have the Facxtories up and Running before you can say, "gosh, that was fast...", but they should start to come onlne about 5 to 6 turns after D-Turn.

But that is'nt for all of the Cities, just most of the olders ones, we will still have a few Mil Units being built during the Interegum. Although, If we take heavy losses, The war might stagnate for a bit. But all of those brand new Factories can then start pumping out the Military...

E_T
                      Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                      Worship the Comic here!
                      Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

I concer with ManicStarSeed on we need to get Scientfic Method next given the war with Germany.

A major factor in how much a tech costs is how many other civs have it. If we discover Replaceable Parts, Germany can reserach it at a cheaper rate. (Especally if we tech-whore it to our allies.)

I think we should beeline to Electronics with the plan to make Replaceable Parts the highest priority to buy when an AI discovers it.

Originally posted by ManicStarSeed
                        I agree with most of what you said here Togas.

However, I would take exception to the point about replacable parts. We need top get Scientific method first so that we can get a head start on ToE. Then we should go for Replacable Parts. I bet we can get Sci. Met. with in 4-5 turns. Then replacable parts 4-7 turns after that. I know that puts RP (and artiliary) 8-12 turns out, but getting ToE will just about guarentee a real tech lead. Especially with a crippled Germany.

Just My 2 cents
                        Mss
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I agree with E_T.
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Togas,

I agree with the various elements you propose with the notable exception of signing a RoP with the Aztecs. With so many of our cities undefended and given the AI's penchant to make tactically tempting yet strategically inane decisions about conducting surprise attacks, it's probably not a very wise move...
                            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                            X