X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SENATE BILL: Dividing Domestic Chores

SENATE BILL

DIVIDING DOMESTIC CHORES

Purpose: To split the office of Domestic Minister back to it's two former ministry positions known as Public Works office and City Planner.

Reasons for:
    1.) Lessens the workload of the individual who is/would be Domestic Minister.
    2.) Allows greater focus on each job.

Reasons against:
    1.) Slightly complicates build queue's and workforce allocations.
    2.) Citizens may desire to have less electorial positions.

(c) The first post of the poll must clarify the options if clarification is needed and state the expiration date.
    (d) The poll must be open for at least 72 hours.
    (e) To pass, the proposed law must receive more “yea” votes than “nay” votes. It must also meet the quorum.
    This poll will expire in 3 days.
    Yay
    58.62%
    Nay
    41.38%
    Abstain/Don't Care
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
    Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Meshelic,

This is actually an amendment, is it not?

Article IX. Amendments
    1 Amendments to this Constitution can be proposed by any citizen. An amendment is passed and made official when 2/3rds or more of the citizens who vote approve of the change to the Constitution.
    (a) A poll to pass an amendment must be clear, unbiased, state the full text of the change proposed, and be open for at least 7 days.
    (b) Abstain votes are not counted for or against passage.
    We can use this poll as a non-binding resolution of sorts. If it passes, we can draft all the necessary changes. There are a number of issues to address, such as splitting the DM position and giving both the CP and the MoPW cabinet-level spots expands the cabinet and changes the voting dynamics on cabinet vetoes.

More to the point, in order to pass such an amendment, we'll need to rewrite the section of the NewCon pertaining to the Domestic Minister as well as sections pertaining to the Executive Branch in general and conflicts between branches, etc.

I'd be more than willing to team up with people to do that (it shouldn't take long) if this resolution passes.
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Meshelic:
      I support this, but...

Isn't this really an amendment to the constitution and not just a senate bill??

Mss

[edit] hehe crosspost... yeah what arnelos said
      Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
        Meshelic,

This is actually an amendment, is it not?

Oops you're right! Damn this NewCon! just kidding...

Comment

Meshelic,

As I outlined above, this poll is still useful as a resolution to see if support exists to make such a change.
          Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
          Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
          7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Thanks Arnelos and MSS for your responses

Comment

Originally posted by ManicStarSeed
              Meshelic:
              I support this, but...

Isn't this really an amendment to the constitution and not just a senate bill??

Mss

[edit] hehe crosspost... yeah what arnelos said
              Sheesh! What's the difference? With the number of regular posters at the moment, a poll for 3-5 days should be OK for judging the populace's wishes, surely? In the SMAC game we realised this pretty soon. Senate Bill, Amendment... if it has the support of the people just DO IT!!! No need to make amendments. Just call it a "code of practice". Amendments take forever. Leave the NewCon as it is and just do things as people want them done.

Oh BTW I support this.
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I definitely support the DM position being split up but there is the issue of the CP and PW jobs coordinating.

Also this job is one that changes with complexity over time. Several months ago the DM positon would have worked, but currently the CP job may be a little much for one person.

Perhaps leaving the PW and CP jobs together but dividing it up based on number of cities. Say no one person can be in charge of more than 10 cities and over those 10 cities they would control CP and PTW issues. At the end of each term the Senate would ratify districts for the next term and "governors" would run for each district.

Just another idea.

Comment

manually add +1 to YAY

(damn it, still can't vote )

Comment

yay!

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007
                      yay!
                      Is that "Yay, I vote yay" or "Yay, skywalker can't vote"?

Comment

You have a sneaky mind, GhengisFarb :P

Comment

Yay, this is an amendment.
                          RIAA sucks
                          The Optimistas
                          I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

With the advent of RR, a LOT of the PW stuff will be done soon after the end of this Term. In a way, Having both of the positions under one roof has allowed me to concentrate on getting RR's and other things into places that need them the most.

Especially while the Factories are going up, I'm making efforts to get those cities to were they will complete them at a faster rate, through Forrest Cuttings, etc. This is also allowing me to make adjustments in the WF's to take these things into account.

I hope to have most of the Jungle, that is due to be cleared, at least Roaded by the end of the term. This will allow several clearing crews to make faster work of the Job. At least the Cities that were Growth Hampered by the Jungle are now able to expand properly.

Very soon, all PW will be doing is keeping watch for Pollution/Global Warming and tweeking out the "Newly Annexed" Lands.

E_T
                            Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                            Worship the Comic here!
                            Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Originally posted by E_T
                              With the advent of RR, a LOT of the PW stuff will be done soon after the end of this Term. In a way, Having both of the positions under one roof has allowed me to concentrate on getting RR's and other things into places that need them the most.

Especially while the Factories are going up, I'm making efforts to get those cities to were they will complete them at a faster rate, through Forrest Cuttings, etc. This is also allowing me to make adjustments in the WF's to take these things into account.

I hope to have most of the Jungle, that is due to be cleared, at least Roaded by the end of the term. This will allow several clearing crews to make faster work of the Job. At least the Cities that were Growth Hampered by the Jungle are now able to expand properly.

Very soon, all PW will be doing is keeping watch for Pollution/Global Warming and tweeking out the "Newly Annexed" Lands.

E_T
                              So are you saying that this bill/ammendment is unnecessary?

Mss
                              Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Comment

Working...
                              X