Poll: Counter Embargos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Counter Embargos

Shall we give the Foreign Minister the authority to set up counter embargos against all nations that set up an embargo against us both now and going forward?

(Currently China & Zulu have had an embargo against us for 3 turns.)

Poll last 3 days

(Edits to comply with new consitution.)

----
    Second edit: I'm withdrawing this bill in favor of Thud's similar bill which has more support.
    Yes
    38.46%
    No
    61.54%
    Abstain
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by joncnunn; December 6, 2002, 11:49.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

3 turns ago, the Zulus got the Chinese to embargo us. This ensures that even if we get peace with the Zulus now, we can't buy their gems for another 17 turns.

In the mean time, the Zulus will sell as many of their gems to every body else, and might not have any left when the embargo ends.

There is also a possibility of other China or Zulu enlisting other nations to join their embargo against us.

This is designed to punish China & Zulu now denying Zulu the oppertunity to sell their Gems to other civs and both of the the ability to buy other luxaries and in addition ensure that should any other pairs of AIs get together to embargo us, we can lauch the counter embargo as soon as the turn gets back to us instead of starting a few turns later.
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

If this is a Senate Bill, you need to state that it is such in the title of the poll.

Furthermore, the technicality of it would be that such a Senate Bill would give the Foreign Affairs Ministry (and thus whoever represents it at the chat) the authority to establish counter-embargoes. Actually establishing them (and the terms for doing so) would then be at the discretion of the FAM rep present at the chat (or NOT establishing them, for that matter).
      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Lets see now. If we manage to get an embargo against Shaka, his income will be down and there won't be as much in the kitty when we take his cities.

Embargos are moral statements. They are never good macroeconomic policy.
        I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

Zululand is currently trading with the following:
          Germany
          The Aztecs
          Greece
          Rome
          India
          Japan
          None of these will take an Embargo against Zululand

Of the rest, only England has the cash flow to attempt to purchace Gems from Zululand. All of the others: Persia, Babylon, Russia, The Iroquois & China are too cash/LPT poor to pay Zululand for their Gems. All of these 6 will take an Embargo against the Zulu for Free.

An embargo against Zululand would only hurt us in the long run and there is no telling what we could buy/sell China sometime in the near future. We might want to get our Furs from them in 17 turns time, for some Tech.

A counter embargo could conceivably make us weaker in the long run. So let's not go an shoot ourselves in the proverbial feet and enact this.

E_T
          Come and see me at WePlayCiv
          Worship the Comic here!
          Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

I'm withdrawing this in favor of Thud's similar bill.
            Last edited by joncnunn; December 6, 2002, 11:50.
            Templar Science Minister

Comment

Working...
            X