Senate Foreign Affairs Cmte.: Diplomatic Responses to the Zulu Conflict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate Foreign Affairs Cmte.: Diplomatic Responses to the Zulu Conflict

We must consider diplomatic solutions to the Zulu problem. Furthermore, should we decide that Diplomacy is not the best course for our nation, we must consider how we can diplomatically assist the armed forces in their role.

Specifically, I ask that the committee consider the following items (as well as anything else that pertains to the larger issue):
    * Can we use a combination of alliances and trade embargos to cut Zululand off from the rest of the world?
    * Can we ally with any other nations to secure any of our flanks?
    * Is it prudent to sign any MPPs to protect ourselves against a sneak attack and cause further trouble for our enemies? What is the risk of getting dragged into another war through any MPPs we sign?
    * If we attack Zululand, are there any nations that may ally with them? What do they have that they can use to bargain with?

-- adaMada
    Acting Vice-Vice President
    Civ 3 Democracy Game:
    PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
    Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

I sugest signing Trade Embargos against the Zulus with as many nations as possible, but stopping there.

(Signing an MPP during the middle of the war or an alliance increases the length of the Zulu war.)
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Just ignore them. After about 10 turns or so, we can ask for peace and they should give it as they cannot effectively attack us.

If possible, sink there ships and send a couple of ships into their waters... just to speed things up.

No need to get any other nation involved UNLESS the heathen bast*rds get someone to join in on their side. In this case, get a bunch of other nations that are close to them to declair war on them and keep them buisy while we prep for the german campaign.
      If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

do not sink their ships - if they have an MPP, it will be activated.
        Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
        King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
        ---------
        May God Bless.

Comment

MPP status can be easily checked every turn by the President prior to a planned sinking of a Zulu ship.

We do need the trade embargos in place against the Zulus ASAP, becuase they have stolen over 400 gold from us.

This sort of thing is why we should always ensure that when we sell techs, we do so with as much payment at the front end instead of spread out over 20 turns where it's subject to cancelation via war.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Just got back... been gone since Wednesday... MAN A LOT HAS HAPPENED SINCE I LEFT !? War with the Zulus, eh? well.... methinks we need something of a discussion on the issue. It's good to see that adaMada already started one

I've gotta go look at the actual save files and reports on FAM stuff during the chat, but then I should be able to get back to this thread for comment sometime later this evening or tomorrow.

We need to discuss whether the best option is to obtain peace with the Zulus ASAP in order to attempt to remain on-schedule with Germany or to forgo the German conflict and take on the Zulus in a bit of a longer-term conflict. Please, continue the discussion
            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

do not sink their ships - if they have an MPP, it will be activated.
              Other than the fact that we have absolutely no naval attack units, what's the problem?

We are actually itching for a land campaign. If attacking one of Shaka's galleys would start one, that's a BONUS.
              I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

I'm going to change the build in AGC from Rifleman to Ironclad. It will be ready in 1170 if not rushed.

E_T
                Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                Worship the Comic here!
                Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

I am not a member of the Senate FAC, however, I would like to submit my recommendation to the committee for its consideration.

I believe the Zulus have never acheived their Golden Age and this sudden landing was a failed attempt on their part to win a battle with their ancient Impi warriors and set them on a course towards rapid modernization.

The Zulus had mortaged their future in large per turn payments for technology in a desperate attempt to keep up with the rest of the world. By declaring war on us they have also acheived financial solvency.

The Zulus know we are far away and that our navy is not currently a threat to them. They have yet to demonstrate a desire for a mass invasion. It is my belief that they do not desire a long term conflict, they have merely used this situation to further ulterior objectives.

I believe peace can be acheived shortly, but I should point out that I do not believe that they should not be punished for breaking treaties with us, invading us, and declaring war on us. I hold that we should delay punishing them until it is convenient for us.

I believe that we should destroy the Zulu naval threat as soon as possible. All of their ships should be removed from our waters. If a trade embargo can be cheaply aquired, I propose we sign them with as many nations as possible to keep the Zulus from profiting from this betrayal.

We should seek a White Peace within the next few turns. If they will not sign, we should load up 2 gallions with cavalry and riflemen and drop them beside their capital to press our point. We should then return these units to our homeland to be used in the German war.

--Togas
                  Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                  Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
                  Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
                  Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Togas
                    We should seek a White Peace within the next few turns. If they will not sign, we should load up 2 gallions with cavalry and riflemen and drop them beside their capital to press our point. We should then return these units to our homeland to be used in the German war.
                    Gunboat diplomacy.

I like it!
                    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

lets do it!!!!

If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Working...
                      X