PreAmendment Discussion- Election Tie breaking procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PreAmendment Discussion- Election Tie breaking procedure

Ok, obviously we have to decide this issue before the next election, so here's the idea. Lets spend the next 2 weeks hammering out the amedment, then lets vote on it.
    Aggie
    The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

OK, here's my suggestion, actually based on DAVOUT's, posted in sheik's Domestic Minister thread.

1. First tie breaker is Date Registered as listed in the user profile. The most senior member of the website is the winner.

2. As a back up in the strange event both joined the website the same day, then its number of posts/day. Thats listed in parentheses next to the Total Posts in the profile.

These tiebreakers are unbiased and uncontested, and can be viewed and the tie decided in seconds instead of days. And this can apply to all ties, two-way, three-way, and so on.

This gives favoritism to the more senior member, if you do not like that then flip flop the above, then it favors the most active member. Either way these can not be left to human error or influence, as RPS and flip a coin can; or to politicizing the tie breaking as leaving it to Minsters, Presidents or the Court could.

One final note, the tie breakers I suggest make the tie breaking instantaneous.
    Last edited by jdjdjd; November 22, 2002, 14:48.
    Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
    "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

and my sugestion from the previous thread

Two civs, elimination, tiny map, accelerated production, simultaneous mode

in the rare chance of a tie, why not make it interesting?

Comment

Let's send it to the U.S Supreme Court. We can be sure they're objective.

Comment

Paper Rock Scissors, or Pick a Number.

I don't feel giving preference to people for post counts or tenure is a fair way to judge an election.
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Whatever we do, the Court SHOULD NOT be given leeway to do whatever they feel like. I respect the current members of the Court, but I also believe that politicizing the Court by allowing them to choose (because nothing is preventing them from it) to VOTE among themselves on a winner would corrupt the Court's impartiality.

I do not want Justices voting, AS THE COURT, to decide elections... it's a perversion of the Court's intended purpose and can easily lead to an erosion of universal respect for the Court. It could also overly politicize the appointment of Justices, something which Apolytonia has been thankfully spared so far...

Having the Court VERIFY a process that it does not control is perfectly fine. Having POLITICAL FIGURES decide the political outcome is fine. They may be partisan and they might pick the side they want to win, but it's more acceptable for them to do so because it doesn't corrupt or pervert a critical element of their position. They can booted out of office by the next term if people didn't like their choice (along with the guy he picked). But having the Court, an explicitly non-political body, delve into making a political decision, WILL have the impact of politicizing the Court. Regardless of who the Court picks, they're making a political decision that will have a negative impact upon respect for the Court from at least some segment of the citizenship (if not most of it)... Regardless of the justification they use for their decision, it's still a POLITICAL decision and, in effect, the final vote in a political election campaign. I'm honestly confused at how the justices fail to see that as potentially dangerous for the Court's impartiality...
            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Randolph

Randolph, Oh, I was wondering what you meant the first time through....let them play the game. That would be pretty cool...can they get a game done PBEM with a couple of days, though?

Un, we have to reward someone, so why not someone who is more active or more senior, in the rare case of a tie? why would it have to be completely random? so long as its not political or a decision by one or several people, using posts/day and register date is set in stone at the time of the closing of the poll and can immediately determine the winner.
              Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
              "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

I just don't like it. Can't put it in words, it just doesn't feel right to me. The 'tiebreaker' would be known even before elecitons, I could see where that may discourage a newer member, or a member that is one of the infamous lurkers, to not run when they otherwise would.

I ask you, what is wrong with it being random? Put it in the hands of the almighty Banana.

btw, it is a very good concept to have them play an elimination PTW game, but not feasible. Not everyone even has PTW, let alone a highspeed connection to play simultaneous turns. Love the idea otherwise, though.
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

How about the automatic tiebreaker beeing who ever has writen the FEWEST posts?

(This would give new people an edge)
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I agree with Arnelos, and UnOrthO.

Specify the tie is to be broken by a contest based on chance. The court can supervise and announce the winner.

It is simple. It is quick (relatively). It would be done.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The only question remaining would be whether it is preferred that the court first total the number of registered citizen votes to see if, in fact, the rightful electors had made a decision.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                        I just don't like it. Can't put it in words, it just doesn't feel right to me. The 'tiebreaker' would be known even before elecitons, I could see where that may discourage a newer member, or a member that is one of the infamous lurkers, to not run when they otherwise would.

I ask you, what is wrong with it being random? Put it in the hands of the almighty Banana.
                        You, a journalist, you cannot put in words something that does not feel right to you ! I am really puzzled.

As for the argument regarding the new members, it does not hold water, particularly when the tie braker will be written in the law.

The only serious argument is that the democracy can not make decision based on random choice. Any pre-establish criteria is better than a random choice; democracy is not foot-ball, but even in foot-ball, after a draw, the winner is not chosen at random.
                        Statistical anomaly.
                        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Randolph

Sounds good. So they don't have to play the whole game and possibly take forever, we should see whose score is highest in 1000 BC.

Comment

A shoot out is fairly random...
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Yes, but it's the only idea that directly involves skill rather than just chance or seniority or other such things.

Comment

Working...
                              X