Science: Predictions & What to research next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science: Predictions & What to research next

We've finally reached the point where we can actually compete with the AI in the field of scientific research. Science-related decisions are becoming more important, and I think we should start a serious public discussion about how we want to use Medicine once its researched, what we should research next and how the near future might look like.
    Allow me to begin the discussion by making the following observations:

* We are currently researching Medicine in hopes of completing it before any AI does and then selling it for a lot of money. However, Medicine is still 4 turns away from completion and the chances for us to be the first to complete it are looking slim, though it is always good to have high hopes for the future.

* I predict that we will finish Medicine the same turn that one of the tech leaders will, so we won't be able to sell it to one of the leading countries since they'll all buy it immediately. However, we'll be able to exchange it in return for Nationalism with one of the lesser powers that has Nationalism but won't be able to afford to buy Medicine from the tech leaders who already have Nationalism.
    In simpler terms, I predict that we will be able to exchange Medicine for Nationalism but won't make much in terms of money.

* In case Medicine is discovered before we are able to finish researching it on our own, we must buy it immediately so that we can begin researching Communism or Espionage immediately. The reason behind this is that most AIs will probably be racing towards Sanitation or more likely Steam Power, which is a popular choice since it's practically one of the best techs in the game. If we manage to get Communism or Espionage first, we might be able to exchange it for Steam Power and some cash and maybe sell it around as well.

-----
    Any comments on my observations or observations of your own will be appreciated and greatly contribute to this important public discussion.
    Last edited by Shiber; November 19, 2002, 17:45.
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

If only this were true! By my estimates we are now about on par with Otto beakerwise, but to pull away we need to exceed the COMBINED beaker power of AI's on current Tech because they sell to each other for a fraction of what they charge the hoomans.

Be prepared to continue the study the price down strategy for a while.
    I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

I concur with Shiber.

I note that it's Sanitation plus cash for Steam Power on that deal, but we can make up that cash selling Sanitation to the tech leaders.
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Roadcage, our goal is to research faster than the AI, and to achieve that we must have a greater beaker output than the AI with the highest beaker output, and we need to start researching every tech before the AIs get a chance to.
        Don't worry, I believe our time will come sooner than you think.
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Our situation almost makes me feel like I've actually been doing something for the past 2 months

Yes, go for Sanitation.

Drat, now I've gone and revealed that I can post again. (I live in New England, didn't have power; storm) Now I'll actually have to start to do things as SMC.
          "The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"
          Former President, C3SPDGI

Comment

I will soon as a statement on research I am currently analyzing the situation.
            Aggie
            The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Science: Predictions & What to research next

Originally posted by Shiber

* In case Medicine is discovered before we are able to finish researching it on our own, we must buy it immediately so that we can begin researching Sanitation immediately. The reason behind this is that most AIs will probably be racing towards Steam Power, which is a popular choice since it's practically one of the best techs in the game. If we manage to get Sanitation first, we might be able to exchange it for Steam Power and some cash and maybe sell it around as well.
              I think a better altenative is finishing the reasearch unless it's developed so early that the cost of purchase is less than developing, then use it to purchase Nationalism. Then develop eighther Communism or Espionage, withever conscenus believes is the lower priority for AI..If we're not at war with Germany, and most other civs are Democratic, my experience is that Communism is a lower priority.

Comment

Double post.
                - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

You're right about researching Communism instead of Sanitation. From my experience it's the least attractive research goal and there's an excellent chance that we'll be the ones to research it first.
                  I've changed the top post accordingly.
                  - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Sanitation, Communism, and Episoage are all dead end techs with no other tech after it.

I'd sugest that the order to discover them be:

1. Sanitation
                    2. Communism
                    3. Episoage
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

It'd be great if we can discover Sanitation first, but I'd go for either Communism of Espionage as a research goal because Sanitation is a popular tech by the AI while Communism and Espionage are often neglected, thus giving us a better chance to be the ones to discover it first.
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Get Medicne and trade it for Nationalism. Work on Steam Engine & Industrialization next, while the AI goes for Sanitation (growth driven, remember), Espianoge & Communism. While we research Electricity, built (with a possible prebuild) Sufferage (or use it as a prebuild for Darwin) and trade the A.I. for the other stuff.

By that time, Germany will be in ruins and England might be at war with us.

E_T
                        Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                        Worship the Comic here!
                        Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

If we reserach Sanitation in 4 turns after getting Medicine, we probably beat the AI to it.

With a 4 turn delay reseraching Communism, the AI beats us to Sanitation.

Espionage is so neglated that we could discover several techs before coming back to it and still be the first.
                          Templar Science Minister

Comment

I doubt that we can research Sanitation in 4 turns. It costs 20% more beakers than Medicine.
                            I'd rather see us research Espionage and then exchange it for other techs such as Sanitation and sell it for money to the rest.
                            - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Please, oh Please give me Railroads & Factories.....

E_T
                              Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                              Worship the Comic here!
                              Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Working...
                              X