X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are right UnO, the con con said :
    -------
    (iii) The Senate has the power to modify the quorum requirements or to perform a census without amending the Constitution.
    -------
    And such a bill cannot result in a poll before the Senate exists.

But in fact, there is no basis to question the quorum resulting from the current election.
    Last edited by DAVOUT; November 15, 2002, 18:43.
    Statistical anomaly.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

Would not the establishment of this 'call for quorum' need to be done through the passing of a bill, to establish exactly what that call should be, however, and not simply one senator posting whatever he thinks it should be? Even then, it would not be a 'current senators' list. It whould be a number, not a list of names, for quorum
      I would believe, yes it would require such a bill. Since no such bill has been passed, Unortho is right and this thread is quite pointless.

I happen to greatly agree with Unorthodox's larger criticism of having such a means for establish quorum as well. As I argued when the NewCon came out, one of my favorite aspects was that the document explicitly enshrined the concept of One Citizen (anyone who signs up) = One Senator.

Now, I recognize that establishing a lower quorum number does not deny some citizens their rights to be Senators. However, I believe that the current baseline number of ~50-60 that we're seeing as turnout in these elections should work as a number for establishing the approximate active population. Therefore, we have no need to establish an alternate means at this time.

That's all.
      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

I voted
        Hosting and playing the Civ4BtS APT
        Ex-Organizador y jugador de Civ4BtS Progressive Games

Comment

I voted, but i dont like quoroms

Still however I give the customary
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

::delurking::

I voted.

::relurking::

Comment

Indeed, UnOrthO, Arnelos, and Davout are quite right IMO. An adjustment to quorum (over-riding pres poll) would require an act of the Senate as a whole, not just the initiative of any one Senator.

I would be a bit lenient in my opinions with thread starters though. Some exuberance may be in play.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by E_T
                Hey, I didn't think that there would be such an uproar over this.

If this is so sensitive of an issue, then would MrWIA please close this thread.

E_T
                [clears throat]COULD WE PLEASE, HAVE THIS THREAD CLOSED! THank you.

E_T
                Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                Worship the Comic here!
                Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Hmmm...I can write.

I voted. Why can we say we voted? I never said who I voted for. Was it Aggie was it the Banana, I'll never tell.

Please read Togas's post, very poignant I would say. I would add just don't respond if you don't like it.

In any event, the whole quorum thing will need to be practiced for us to get it down. Be patient.

Now, let me get back to thinking about some useless bill to pass so I can have bill #1 to my credit.
                  Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
                  "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

Originally posted by E_T

[clears throat]COULD WE PLEASE, HAVE THIS THREAD CLOSED! THank you.

E_T
                    /me hears E_T from halfway around the world.

It's curtains for this thread.
                    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                    X