Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL (really!): Switch to Democracy IMMEDIATELY after GA Ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFICIAL (really!): Switch to Democracy IMMEDIATELY after GA Ends?

The previous poll was invalid because there is no such thing as an "official quickpoll". Official polls, especially for things required in the CoL to be passed via official polls, are required to run a full 72 hours at minimum.

------------------------------------------------

It is my intention to run Friday's turnchat from 940 A.D. through the end of the Golden Age (we believe in 1000 A.D.).

At the moment I get the message that the Golden Age has ended, I will save the game and the chat will end.

This poll affects whether initiating a switch to democracy will, within reason, be the very next action take - and must be within the same turn.

-------------------------------------------------

Should the switch to democracy be made immediately after the Golden Age ends?

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Abstain

This poll will last a full 72 hours.
    Yes
    62.96%
    No
    33.33%
    Abstain
    3.70%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Arnelos; November 14, 2002, 09:38.
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Absolutely rediculous!!!!!

That timing is early in the turn. This will MAXIMIZE the worker delay penalty for Anarchy.

The objective would be to have as many workers either
    .) be logically 'arriving at site' ie moving. Anarchy effects worker task speed only.
    or
    .) be stacked and executed that turn so that the improvement completes immediate. completion immediate workers will have spent their turn so the Anarchy effect will not apply.

Once the completion imediate worker activities are done, then it will be reasonable to switch if our august senators decide on such a course (which I oppose but know that I am p***ing into the wind)
    I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

Originally posted by roadcage
      Absolutely rediculous!!!!!

That timing is early in the turn. This will MAXIMIZE the worker delay penalty for Anarchy.

The objective would be to have as many workers either
      .) be logically 'arriving at site' ie moving. Anarchy effects worker task speed only.
      or
      .) be stacked and executed that turn so that the improvement completes immediate. completion immediate workers will have spent their turn so the Anarchy effect will not apply.

Once the completion imediate worker activities are done, then it will be reasonable to switch if our august senators decide on such a course (which I oppose but know that I am p***ing into the wind)
      Sounds good enough ("immediate").

Comment

roadcage,

The wording you objected to was not in the wording of the actual poll, but rather in the section of explaining what the poll results might be interpreted as by the administration.

You are correct to point out that this interpretation of the popular will in voting for the word "immediate" would be unreasonable. I removed I think 2 words from the statement on how we'd likely interpret the results - fair enough. This is something that should have been caught when I posted the poll - THANK YOU.

(only 3 votes have been cast so far, 2 of which are ours )
        Last edited by Arnelos; November 14, 2002, 09:46.

Comment

That's not what I mean by completion immediate.

imagine the example

1 worker and 1 slave on barren grassland
          3 workers in adjacent roaded tile
          wanting to reach the grassland and mine

step 1 worker and slave on grass execute road. Since their move is executed immediately, the road appears, and the 3 nearby workers can move onto the roaded grassland and mine. Since their move is executed immediately, the mine appears.

imagine instead that there are only 2 workers adjacent

The mine will not appear even though the move was executed immediate because the mine is not complete.

It will not even appear during the next turn but rather during the turn advance cycle after the next turn because only the actual work orders are executed immediate. Continuation orders from previous turns are executed during the turn advance cycle which is effectively the end of the turn.

Most of the time this is not a real issue except for trying to get roads available for transportation. The city resource increment is after the worker increment during turn advance cycle, so the effects for gold, shields, etc produced it doesn't matter. However during Government changeover, Anarchy reduces worker task speeds. This phenomenon like all Civ3 engine details need to be optimized by the player. (If you want to ever win on Divinity)

/stands down from soapbox

Comment

Sounds like you need to talk to GhengisFarb about suggestions for the PW orders for 1000 A.D. and 1010 A.D. rather than talking to me...

Beyond that, this sounds like an insane level of micro-management...

Comment

Revolutions should always be called at the end of a turn.

As a religious civ, if the revolution is at the end of the turn, we have no worker penalty. But if we call the revolution at the begining of the turn, we have slow workers for a turn.
              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Actually, there still is a worker penalty for those workers that are continuing previous turn build orders.

We should try to minimize this, but it is exceedingly difficult prior to RR buildout. And No, I am not proposing we delay Democracy that long.

Comment

If there is no war, I'd favor Democracy., but since there will be, I think Republic is best, until our Cavaralry is useless.

Comment

The switch should have happend before the golden age started , this way there would have been more shields and money .

Comment

Democracy was quite a ways away when we started the French war. We wouldn't have completed the Forbiden Palace by now without that GA or have gotten so many buildings built.
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by realpolitic
                        If there is no war, I'd favor Democracy., but since there will be, I think Republic is best, until our Cavaralry is useless.
                        hi ,

, not when we can plan a fast short war , ....

then a democrazy is good , we get more money , more shields , etc , ....

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                        X