Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should be the first tech we research in the Modern Age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with GK, I've gotten Industrialization way before the AI ever has and that's while still playing catchup. The advent of Factories way before the AI has allowed me to get ALL of the Industrial Wonders, with no real problems. I was able to techwhore Industrialization, shortly before getting Sufferage, and the same with Sci Method & Electronics, but only when I was assured of a proper lead and that the AI wouldn't be able to switch to the next Wonder.

Normally, around that time, the MPP wars are erupting. These are most likely caused by the AI using an Intelligence Agency and missing the dice roll.

E_T
    Come and see me at WePlayCiv
    Worship the Comic here!
    Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Steam engine
      then make a beeline for Refining to get a good tradeable tech
      None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

UI usually go for steam, Ind, then Electricity and Medicine, while trding for Nat. I then get Sci Meth, Atomic & Electronic, then trade for Corp, Com & Espianage. By this time I'm even with the AI and just a bit ahead and I'm really starting to make money off of them. I then get Darwins & Hoover tohelp cinch the deal and I then own the AI.

E_T
        Come and see me at WePlayCiv
        Worship the Comic here!
        Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Steam Power for rails, then Medicine, on a beeline to SciMeth. As most AIs go for Steam Power when the Industrial Age starts, we can probably sell Medicine at high prices. (It'd be VERY nice for other civs to pay through the nose for our techs, and not vice versa.)
          oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

My usual approach is Steam, Indu, Med, then San. I never bother with Nat, it is always available at the peace table. And if not, who cares. I don't really want to go Commie, and my luck with espionage is so pittiful that I no longer bother. All of this branch are non required for advancement. Why waste so many turns?

Steam starts the RR buildout. RR bonuses make Indu's factories feasible, so that San's hospitals don't take forever. Considering our position, many of our cities cannot utilize hospitals due to jungle, but some can and hopefully more will by that time.

Once this is done, it's cherrypick the wonders.
            I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

I don't care what tech it is, as long as we get parity or better with the other civs in science soon. With the bonuses they have on emperor level, that will be success enough to achieve it and maintain it... and profit from it
              "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

Definately Medicine.

But we really need to enter tje IA right away.
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Athough, if we don't buy ourselves out of the Middle Ages soon, even Medicine will be discovered.

Maybe we should buy Nationalism as soon as possible after entering the Industrail Age.

We would then have two additional techs that the AI is slow to research. (And it would also give us the ability to mobilize the economy if needed.)
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                    Athough, if we don't buy ourselves out of the Middle Ages soon, even Medicine will be discovered.

Maybe we should buy Nationalism as soon as possible after entering the Industrail Age.

(And it would also give us the ability to mobilize the economy if needed.)
                    1.Yes, the best way into the IA is to set the science slider to 0% and buy all the MA techs, then maximize the slider to get Medicine.
                    2. Not a good idea, our mobilized Cavalry would be fighting mainly Riflemen, but embargoes are effective at slowing down advanced civs, and causing friction between them & others

Comment

Originally posted by realpolitic
                      1.Yes, the best way into the IA is to set the science slider to 0% and buy all the MA techs, then maximize the slider to get Medicine.
                      I like this idea and IS my plan if elected FAM under 0% conditions. I have a different plan if 60% if obtained (go see my campaign thread).

2. Not a good idea, our mobilized Cavalry would be fighting mainly Riflemen, but embargoes are effective at slowing down advanced civs, and causing friction between them & others
                      As I've stated in the war declaration thread, the SMC will require a sizable artillery corps with plenty of cannon units. Such an artillery corps will need to be augmented by a sizable for of mobile riflemen stacks able to defend the cannon stacks in enemy territory. This might even make up the bulk of our military for such a war, with the cavalry only serving to take down 1-2 enemy cities at at time while they're being bombarded by our cannon stacks.

Wars in the early industrial age are paralizingly slow compared to other periods... let us recall that this is the same time period as the American Civil War and the First World War .... casualties will be high and ground will be gained very slowly... the advantage in wars has gone to the defense...
                      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Once the AIs have Rifle Men everyhere we'll be in about US Civil War and the German wars of unification.

After we start seeing infentry, then we are in WWI. That would be a great time to simply stop the wars in place.

Any gueses on most likely locations for Rubber? If we can take those areas first, we can prevent having to fight WWI and keep ourselves in the US Civil War / German War of reunification era against them.
                        Templar Science Minister

Comment

Working...
                        X