Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the deal with Shiberport?

Hi guys.
    Say, what's the deal with Shiberport in Uber Isle? I never asked to have a city named after me.
    I thought the right to name cities was reserved to government officials, and in any case, if I was asked to name a city I wouldn't name it after me but give it a name that everyone could sympathize with, like... Bacteria or Springfield.
    Last edited by Shiber; October 28, 2002, 14:07.
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

That is a manipulation. The Ministers privilege has been questionned by some influent citizens, also the Association for the Protection of the Minister Moral Rights made some lobbying resulting in a (not so) ordinary citizen having a city with his name. We can anticipate that the argument you know Shiber has given his name to a city when he was not a Minister will soon be used.
    Statistical anomaly.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Here's the lowdown:

While the infamous OPD was in power (having usurped the throne from the Royal House of Where We At Castle), he and his roundheads named many cities with unpronouceable and should I say it, irritating names.

Some examples include: "Site E", "Whoseinchargeofsettlermovesanyway"(whose local newspaper went bancrupt as no news story would fit on the front page as the city's name took up all of the space), BFM, and other atrocities.

Before that term left office, I for one wanted to have the citynames somewhat legible so that orders would not be such a pain in the @#$ to type and we renamed all the silly ones so that they could stand until the NewCon went into effect and a more permanent system could be established.

When trying to come up with a replacement for "Site E" I thought its on the shore so what's a city name for a coastal city? For some reason "Shrieveport" popped into my head. Then I thought how would I Apolytonize the name "Shrieveport"? So I just replaced "Shrieve" with "Shiber".

Their not necessarily permanent names, but their good enough until we pass the NewCon and a permanent system is established.

Comment

I would prefer Shiberport than Springfield.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Wish I had a city named after me! sheesh

just kidding I know I'm not that crucial yet.
          Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
          Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

When trying to come up with a replacement for "Site E" I thought its on the shore so what's a city name for a coastal city? For some reason "Shrieveport" popped into my head. Then I thought how would I Apolytonize the name "Shrieveport"? So I just replaced "Shrieve" with "Shiber".
            Shreveport Louisianna NOT a coastal city
            I used to be a builder. That was before I played Civ III

Comment

Originally posted by roadcage

Shreveport Louisianna NOT a coastal city
              True. But he didn't say it was a coastal city, he just said the name popped into his head. So WHERE does the "port" come from?
              Last edited by =OttomusCeasar=; October 29, 2002, 19:40.
              Proud member of the Hawk Party.

Comment

gee... you try to complement some people...

Comment

"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                  And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                  Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                  - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I've heard of a few towns nowhere near water being called Port _____ .... I think that might have to do with the amount of trade involved there...
                    Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                    Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Originally posted by =OttomusCeasar=

True. But he didn't say it was a coastal city, he just said the name popped into his head. So WHERE does the "port" come from?
                      From what I understand this Shreve character was a somewhat portly fellow.........

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                        ...BFM, and other atrocities.
                        Hey! I heard that! I demand you take that back! BFM stands for 'Bananas For Me' (as well as for a certain respected citizen), so it is a proper name!

BFM
                        Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Working...
                        X