No announcement yet.

Apolytonian Federation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having discovered and enjoyed the democratic game for a short time, I just want to stress out the fact that some of us silent ones or 'masses' are just what is called the 'silent majority', or the 'marais' i.e. in plain english 'swamp', in fact the people that don't raise a voice or a post very often but enjoy nevertheless to vote on issues such as the polls (official or unofficial, alike). As such we often break ties and settle disputes. Should we be deprived of our citizenship just for not being loud enough? I wonder…

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fab
      Having discovered and enjoyed the democratic game for a short time, I just want to stress out the fact that some of us silent ones or 'masses' are just what is called the 'silent majority', or the 'marais' i.e. in plain english 'swamp', in fact the people that don't raise a voice or a post very often but enjoy nevertheless to vote on issues such as the polls (official or unofficial, alike). As such we often break ties and settle disputes. Should we be deprived of our citizenship just for not being loud enough? I wonder…
      Sacrifices need to be made in the name of security.

Oops... wrong thread.
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

You do realize that you are proposing that we be a fascist state, which is what the "federation" in the book Starship Troopers is really about...
        Duddha finally has a ideological brother.
        Last edited by Duddha; October 25, 2002, 19:02.
        Duddha: I will return...
        Arnelos: ... and the civilizied world shudders ...
        "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
        Free California!

Comment

I think everyone, regardless of their view of the "common" voter in RL, needs to remember this is just a game. Every voter, regardless of their posting and general activity, can be just as knowledgeable and good at Civ as any minister or other "active" citizen. Also, through the save, any voter has access to just as good information as a minister.

If you want to consider yourself elite in relation to the little population heads in the game, fine; considering they're fictional, I would hope you do. But don't try to raise yourself above other RL participants in the game.

Looking back over this thread, I think I'm probably overreacting; and I don't mean to imply any of you consider yourself elite (or perhaps leet would be better for a game ).

Comment

For the record, my comments were reserved for the significant portion of voters, in RL, who have a serious problem understanding the issues. My comments in no way reflect upon the large number of voters in this game who do indeed form the silent majority. My observation is that a vast majority of the poeple who play such games as this, are very intelligent and well informed.
            Aggie
            The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

This is precisely my point. The reason that Apolytonia could be considered "democratic" at all is that we are highly dependent upon these players to play the crucial role of arbiting our disputes. They are, indeed, the 'silent majority'.
              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos

This is precisely my point. The reason that Apolytonia could be considered "democratic" at all is that we are highly dependent upon these players to play the crucial role of arbiting our disputes. They are, indeed, the 'silent majority'.
                In my opinion, these "Silent Majority" feel strongly enough to believe that they are looking out for the common good of our Empire and are therefore part of the Apolytonian Elites. (ie:they signed the join list).

The Apolytonian "Federation" Game holds true!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by donegeal

In my opinion, these "Silent Majority" feel strongly enough to believe that they are looking out for the common good of our Empire and are therefore part of the Apolytonian Elites. (ie:they signed the join list).

The Apolytonian "Federation" Game holds true!
                  So where do I sign up for the Federal Party? hehehe
                  Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                  Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

We are all already members of the Apolytonian Federation. This is a debate thread relating to this game. I just want to show people that we are not playing a "Democracy" game.

Comment

Originally posted by donegeal
                      We are all already members of the Apolytonian Federation. This is a debate thread relating to this game. I just want to show people that we are not playing a "Democracy" game.
                      Oh I knew.
                      Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                      Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Y'know, I love it how I am one of the few who is not heavily involved in politicking of some nature here..... and I'm the freaking PRESIDENT.

Plus from the amount of posting I have (not) been doing recently, I may well be one of these "silent majority" as well... And I like that idea.....
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                          Y'know, I love it how I am one of the few who is not heavily involved in politicking of some nature here..... and I'm the freaking PRESIDENT.
                          Quite true, and one of the reasons I like the demogame. Can I put that in my sig?

Comment

I can't stop you from doing whatever you please, Kloreep. Go right ahead.
                            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

With all the respects, I don't think he is meaning that. He has explained clearly what he means in the previous posts. Is not that "the people" lost their right to vote because they are women, or because they are poor, or because their name start with "P". They simply don't have that right because "they don't care".

As he has said, only people who prove they want to care about the nation's problems get the right to do so. And, this is the important thing, ANYONE can run for a "citizen place" regarding their origin. So if they qualify they get a citizenship.

Even more, the people who want to get more important positions in the nation have to show even more interest (i.e. do campaigns and express their ideas an opinions).

That's how it is explained in Heinlen's book, regarding if the government is called Federation, Democracy, Republic or Heinlenism. But I agree that maybe "Federation" is not their best name because usually a Federation is more like a league of nations or quasi-nations.

And by the way, I'm not in the elite, because I haven't signed for the game (arrived too late ) but I'm realling enjoying as an observer and plan to sign for the next edition if there is one.

Greetings to everyone
                              Last edited by OliverFA; October 30, 2002, 15:39.
                              "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                              "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

Never too late to sign up, oliverfa. See the topped thread titled :

Top: Welcome (and JOIN) to the Civilization III Democracy Game.
                                Statistical anomaly.
                                The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X