Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there interest in an Environmental protection group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there interest in an Environmental protection group?

Simple enough.

Is anyone interested in starting a group for environmental protection.

Goals would be to propose reserves, national parks, stuff like that, and oppose any developement beyond roads within these sanctuaries.

Unless we act soon, there will be little jungle left to save.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

I might be.

From the stand point of population. I am dead set against hospitals ( and sanitation) until we are close to ecology and teh willingness for building mass tranit systems. If we are not careful, we will wind up wastinfg alot of time and workers cleaning up glowing goo. Factories do not add too much polution but coal plants kill us with pollution.

Now as for junjles and such, does anyone know if by clearing jungle from, say, a rubber tile, wheather it would appear or not when we discover replacable parts? That would be the clincher for me.
    Mss
    Remember.... pillage first then burn.

Comment

Humm.. I wonder how many acres of Jungle the "Jungle Gazette uses"? I suppose it gets its name from the precious natural resource that it is destroying. We are destroying our beautiful jungles for a mere periodical! Not even a permanent book.

Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

Comment

We are an industrious civilization... our workers have enough efficiency, and we have the capacity to build enough of them, that the population pollution from building hospitals will be easily managable.

Besides, these "environmentalists" aren't seriously going to lobby against the humanitarian course of building hospitals and actually SUPPORT our population continuing to be plagued (pun intended) by horrendous diseases!?

The truly humanitarian thing to do would be to SUPPORT the building of hospitals and to begin the crusade to eradicate various diseases which have long plagued mankind! Let these "environmentalists" be anti-humanitarian if they dare...
        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

I'm all for preserving jungles and forests and mountains that are outside of our city radius'. As for jungle/swamp land within our city radius', they're festering disease ridden wastelands that need to be cleared out for the good of our people.

But I'm with you on the coal plants.

--Togas
          Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
          Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
          Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
          Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

This smells of liberal, count me in
            Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
            "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

IMHO:

All Jungle inside all city raidius will evenually need cleared.

All cities that could grow past 12 will evenuaally need Hospitals.

All forests on plains inside all city raidus need cleared quickly.

Forests over unshielded grassland inside city raidus is okay pre-railroad. Post railroad these will all evenually need cleared, railed, and mined.

Forests are always okay on tundra inside city raidus.

Only build Coal Plants if it looks like we are going to be beat out to Hoover Dam and can't easily capture it once built. Even then, limit them to the highest productive cities.

Never build Nuke Plants.

Lobby Public Works to make standing orders ensuring the polution is dealt with immedately rather than waiting for the next turn chat.
              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                IMHO:

Forests over unshielded grassland inside city raidus is okay pre-railroad. Post railroad these will all evenually need cleared, railed, and mined.

Only build Coal Plants if it looks like we are going to be beat out to Hoover Dam and can't easily capture it once built. Even then, limit them to the highest productive cities.

Never build Nuke Plants.

Lobby Public Works to make standing orders ensuring the polution is dealt with immedately rather than waiting for the next turn chat.
                This is very sensible. I would support that exact plan (and, in fact, it reflects how I play single-player as well ).

Comment

Originally posted by Randolph
                  Humm.. I wonder how many acres of Jungle the "Jungle Gazette uses"? I suppose it gets its name from the precious natural resource that it is destroying. We are destroying our beautiful jungles for a mere periodical! Not even a permanent book.

Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

If someone had done their research, they would know that the Gazette uses pressed leaves that have already fallen. We do not destroy anything.
                  One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

IMHO:

Never build Nuke Plants.

While that is very sensible and all, that is not what I was getting at, really.

Forget about what is good in-game. Set up the "Apolytonian National Jungle" or the "Insert Name Mountains" These will never be touched no matter how much they would improve whatever city beyond the use of roads. Sure, it might not make that city the most productive, but many people have already stated that we are a shoe in to win. Preserve these for future generations. ROLEPLAY a bit IN game.
                    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I vote for exactly two such regions.

The Northern Pole artic reserve encombasing all terriority north of the northern map edge, and the Southern Pole artic reserve combassing all territory south of the southern map edge.
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

While that is very sensible and all, that is not what I was getting at, really.

Forget about what is good in-game. Set up the "Apolytonian National Jungle" or the "Insert Name Mountains" These will never be touched no matter how much they would improve whatever city beyond the use of roads. Sure, it might not make that city the most productive, but many people have already stated that we are a shoe in to win. Preserve these for future generations. ROLEPLAY a bit IN game.
                        And, roleplaying that part I've already clearly chosen in game...

We have not yet researched this notion of "ecology" and other environmental impacts. As such, there is no research to indicate that there is ANY negative impact to our environment from improving the standard of living of our people through better medical care, greater industrial output, and the use of fossil fuels as an energy source. Of course, many of these innovations will themselves require much more research until they are prepared for implementation, but no research exists AT ALL to indicate that any of them would have a negative impact on our environment.

Those aruing that we should forgo the interests of our citizens in favor of some odd-ball belief that improving the standard of living will harm our environment have obviously been smoking too much bananabis!

Comment

I vote for exactly two such regions.

The Northern Pole artic reserve encombasing all terriority north of the northern map edge, and the Southern Pole artic reserve combassing all territory south of the southern map edge.
                          LMAO!!!

I'm with ya, Jon.

--Togas
                          Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                          Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
                          Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
                          Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Slash and burn techniques have worked well so far, who is to say that continuing to do so will cause problems.
                            If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos

And, roleplaying that part I've already clearly chosen in game...

We have not yet researched this notion of "ecology" and other environmental impacts. As such, there is no research to indicate that there is ANY negative impact to our environment from improving the standard of living of our people through better medical care, greater industrial output, and the use of fossil fuels as an energy source. Of course, many of these innovations will themselves require much more research until they are prepared for implementation, but no research exists AT ALL to indicate that any of them would have a negative impact on our environment.

Those aruing that we should forgo the interests of our citizens in favor of some odd-ball belief that improving the standard of living will harm our environment have obviously been smoking too much bananabis!
                              There is no technology to prove that a democratic government exists either, but I see you whole heartedly supporting it in other threads...

I do assure you, though, there will be a negative impact should I be left without enough jungle left to produce the paper.
                              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X