"Centralia"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Centralia"

Ins't this the best name ever for a city in such a remote location?
    Attached Files
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

its the centre of the great void...

what civ is that anyway?
    Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
    King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
    ---------
    May God Bless.

Comment

Iroquois, Panzer32.
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

The jokes on you, Shiber. I cheated and played ahead and ALL of the Lost Civs are on a HUGE continent just north of Centralia.

So it actually is central.

(This is a joke, I didn't actually play ahead. There are way too many people on this forum with no sense of humor or I wouldn't have to post this disclaimer.)

Comment

there's something inherently wrong when we can all get such amusement out of things like this
          Minister of the Economy: Term IV, V
          Ministre d'Économie: Session IV, V
          Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there aren't people following me!
          Même si je suis paranoïde, ça n'exige pas qu'il n'y a pas de gens qui me suivent!

Comment

There's something inherently wrong when there is a city named Centralia in the middle of nowhere...
            Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
            King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
            ---------
            May God Bless.

Comment

--double post--
              Last edited by Shiber; October 11, 2002, 07:34.
              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Maybe they name cities after officials like we do sometimes and Centralia is the name of their Supreme Military Commander or one of their kings.

Edit: I looked up Centralia in my English-Iroquois dictionary and it roughly translates to 'please don't pee in the alley'.
                - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Maybe they have problems with alley-peeing... Sanitation hasn't been invented yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber

Edit: I looked up Centralia in my English-Iroquois dictionary and it roughly translates to 'please don't pee in the alley'.
                    Assuming that Centralia is an Iroquois word (as London is an English word, Paris is French word, ...) you could have looked up in your Iroquois-English dictionnary. Centralia means : Please dont pee in the tent; what is the alley for?
                    Statistical anomaly.
                    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

o han<. wan la< wa, he `cu< sni yo veh`os.

(OK. Look, please stop.) (alright, it's Lakota not Iriquois, sue me. Not really a language meant for reading...) I don't believe there even ever was an official Iriquois language, as they were made up from several different tribes, each with minor variations on the language, much like the Sioux.

Centralia is actually an American name for a city, home of the Chehalis tribe, and site of one of many massacres.
                      Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; October 11, 2002, 12:26.
                      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                        I don't believe there even ever was an official Iriquois language, as they were made up from several different tribes, each with minor variations on the language, much like the Sioux.
                        The Iroquois Federation (northern Iroquoin) had a constitution (verbal) so they probably had a central language. The southern Iroquoin had a written language.

Their languages were all similiar as they why they wre classified as Iroquoin.

Comment

I did say Minor variations. I did run across a written copy of that 'constitution' somewhere as well. Don't know how old the 'written' version is or how accurate to the original.

The Sioux nation is similar. I can understand Oglala, somewhat, but there are differences as well. Haven't ran into many of the other tribes, though, so don't know all the different languages within the Sioux nation. Some may be closer than others...
                          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Centralia?

they named it that to mock us.

If they weren't so far away, I would say it was time for a little lesson in respect
                            "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                            X