No announcement yet.

Switch to Republic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go! Go! Republic! Regarless of the GA debate, in our current situation, we will fall behind in tech with Monarchy. No matter who or what, tech gives better units and better improvements. Plus we still got a lot of jungle to clear.

I... calculated that if we switch to Republic this turn our income would rise from 127 gpt to ~155 gpt.
    Shiber --

Is this including the potential military drain?

Comment

I checked and you're absolutely right. Thanks for correcting me.
      I'd like to raise a different proposal: that we maximize food production over shields and commerce during the 1 turn of anarchy and turn any laborers that don't produce any food into tax men.
      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

After much thought I hereby declare for republic. We can always switch back during war time if war weariness gets to bad. The civilian government could then be restored after the threat has passed. So I say why not.
        Aggie
        The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Republic after the war with America or Republic right now?
          - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

I voted YES. The Republic is necessary for further growth, and will soon become a dire necessity. (Remember that the workers become more efficient, and although I usually like rainforest conservation we need to get to clearing our jungle.) As long as we switch when our war weariness is low/gone and we are otherwise properly configured for the change it can do us no harm. Obviously we should wait until after America is no more before switching. Even after switching if we want to go to war it won't be too much of a problem. We could either switch to Monarchy (sort of a temporary state of emergency thing) or plan to have all the happiness inducing city improvements possible built before war is declared (which is a good idea anyway, especially since most of them also produce culture). Plus unless WE are the agressors of the war the war weariness effect is not unmanageble. Later. Let us be FREE!
            I hate signatures.

Comment

My suggestion (and what I'm basing my plans on) are to Rush some last minute stuff on Turn 0. Then to change to Republic on the next turn.

E_T
              Come and see me at WePlayCiv
              Worship the Comic here!
              Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

I strongly recommend that we switch to Republic only after America is finished (3 turns from now). Reason:

Each player has a war weariness value that is kept throughout the game. It changes according to the situation in each one of the last 20 turns, which is affected by the number of units in enemy territory (more units = more WW), the number of enemy units in your territory (more units = more WW) and whether you were the aggressor or not (you = more WW). War weariness disappears only after your nation has been in a state of peace for the last 20 turns.
                Our war weariness from the Persian war was high and is still high. Although we are currently using a government type that does not give expression to war weariness the computer still keeps record of it, so if we attack America we will wake up some of the war weariness that is left from the Persian campaign, which ended only recently. In addition, we will be facing war weariness from the American campaign.
                Frankly, I don't know how many cities will be severely affected by this and how bad WW is really going to be, nor do I think that anyone else does. Instead of risking that many of our most productive cities go into civil disorder and losing a lot of potential shields and commerce in the process, why not wait 3 turns until America is finished?

My understanding of WW is based on threads that I've read in the Civ3 General forum.
                - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Well, the poll results show a very strong desire for the change, and we'll most likely be changing right after we finish America. And we won't be triggering a GA for a bit still.

Does that sum it up nicely?

E_T
                  Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                  Worship the Comic here!
                  Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Originally posted by E_T
                    Well, the poll results show a very strong desire for the change, and we'll most likely be changing right after we finish America. And we won't be triggering a GA for a bit still.

Does that sum it up nicely?
                    I hope so. Let'e hope there are no suprises.

Comment

I am strongly in favor of a Republic. I think Apolytonia can prosper greatly with this government. You guys need the faster tech rate.
                      Le Républicain Catholique

Comment

I strongly favor the Republic. Only after we finish America, of course.

Comment

I glanced over the log.

Aztecs took Boston, (but lost their army first), and we took New York, eliminating Abe.

I didn't notice what the Aztecs gave us to join in.
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Yes... Abe is now gone... on to the Republic!

All glory to the Apolytonian Republic!

(or would that be the Republic of Apolytonia? )
                            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                            X