• Show
Clear All

• Science Minister Campaign Thread

The candidates are:

Thud (incumbant, DIA)
    Duddha (Hawk)
    ThePlagueRat (Independant)
    Duddha: I will return...
    Arnelos: ... and the civilizied world shudders ...
    "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
    Free California!

The winner of the Minister of Science election has always been won by the person who the previous MoS supported.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I have often been known to say that science is for the weak. This is true. Most claiming to favor scientific improvement are often simply puny sissy peacenics attempty to cover up their weakness with brain power. As minister of science I will make the office a position of power and to be feared by all! We are currently the most backward nation on the face of the planet. We need strength. If it takes grit to get what we want, I'll do it. If it takes bully to get what we want, I'll do it.
      On to my plan and strengths.

-I will work with the foreign, city planner and economic ministers to expand our scientific development.

-I am an active member and will never disappear without notice, excluding unaviodable RL issues like death.

-My scientific objectives are Democracy, Economics, and Military Tradition. (meaning I'll aim for them, not necessarily get them)

-I will continue the Area 25 threads. I cannot promise my analysis will be as detailed as Apoclypse, but this necessary area for discussion will continue.

Vote Duddha and vote for a strong as well as smart ministry of science.
      "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
      Free California!

Comment

I'll vote for whoever shows the most initiative in completing the Tech Guide I started over a month ago but never finished.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Apoc enjoys spicing up this election. Blackmail, I think

Let my actions speak for themselves, excepting my recent lapse.
          "The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"
          Former President, C3SPDGI

Comment

Several Questions: First Duddha.....

Originally posted by Duddha
            I have often been known to say that science is for the weak. This is true. Most claiming to favor scientific improvement are often simply puny sissy peacenics attempty to cover up their weakness with brain power. As minister of science I will make the office a position of power and to be feared by all!
            How will you make this a position of power? Do you have specific plans, and do those plans comply with the CoL? Based on your opening sentences, how can we be sure you will not stand in the way of scientific development, which you see as for the weak?

We are currently the most backward nation on the face of the planet. We need strength. If it takes grit to get what we want, I'll do it. If it takes bully to get what we want, I'll do it.
            Can you be specific on what you mean by bullying?

On to my plan and strengths.

-I will work with the foreign, city planner and economic ministers to expand our scientific development.
            Please provide any specifics.

-My scientific objectives are Democracy, Economics, and Military Tradition. (meaning I'll aim for them, not necessarily get them)
            In what order do you prefer these advances, and why?

As for Thud, can you elaborate a bit more on your agenda for next term. We recognize you did an excellent job last term, and are interested in hearing more of what you plan on doing in the next term.

As for PlagueRat, once you get to post, if you could elaborate on your plans, and thoughts for the term, and perhaps on what you think of what Duddha has already said.

Thank you to all candidates.
            Note: the Law Offices of jdjdjd are temporarily closed.
            "Next time I say something like 'lets go to Bolivia', lets go to Bolivia"

Comment

Originally posted by Duddha
              I have often been known to say that science is for the weak. This is true. Most claiming to favor scientific improvement are often simply puny sissy peacenics attempty to cover up their weakness with brain power. As minister of science I will make the office a position of power and to be feared by all! We are currently the most backward nation on the face of the planet. We need strength. If it takes grit to get what we want, I'll do it. If it takes bully to get what we want, I'll do it.
              Ok, thanks tou you Duddha!

Well met fellow countrymen.
              I wish I could be as powerful as Duddha would be,
              but in a democracy that would not be the Science Minister's job. Indeed, the Science Minister would have to play an important role in the government, aiding his colleagues in staking out the best strategic plans to become a superior nation.
              My idea would be to encourage this "weakness" Duddha talks about, to become our greatest strenght.

Through library building and scientific planning,
              we could accomplish only parts of that. On the other hand, tech trading, and wonder projects would be the most effective plan to become powerful.

In times of greater peril, it would be wise to improve our weaponry. And so pursue the technology to accomplish that, at such stages in our history. In times of lesser peril, great wonders and culture would be imperative to our success!

To expand and conquer would be the responsibilities of the SMC, the MoIE and the President.
              In cooperation with those, I would do a more effective job
              as a planner and a serving govt. representative,
              rather than just a plagued rat sitting behind a desk in the Science Dept. (or in the wine cellar of The Thinkers Guild)

NB: I hope my fellow guildsmen will not miss me to much,
              if I get to hang out with the big boys.
              Last edited by ThePlagueRat; October 10, 2002, 10:49.
              My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

Two questions:

Dudha, why aren't you running for foreign minister instead? Bullying other nations for tech is a Foreign Minister position, not a Science Minister position.

ThePlagueRate and Thud, why aren't you running for city planner instead? The City Planner controls when and where Libaries (and Universities) are built.

Edit: to add Thud after seeing Thud wanting Market Places and Libaries as well.
                Last edited by joncnunn; October 10, 2002, 13:02.
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

As for Thud, can you elaborate a bit more on your agenda for next t
                  But, "I'll let my actions speak for themselves" is a tradition!

Okay. As I said a new Plan shall be unveiled. It will involve a mass construction of marketplaces and courthouses, as well as libraries. Whether or not I actually said anything to Unortho for the gazette, i also beleive Universities should play a role.

My second objective will be to write a tech guide to the Industrial age, which is not as far away as we might think.
                  "The Enrichment Center is required to inform you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake"
                  Former President, C3SPDGI

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn

ThePlagueRate and Thud, why aren't you running for city planner instead? The City Planner controls when and where Libaries (and Universities) are built.

Hi, this question of yours rises many issues. I will grab hold of one issue, and that is the issue of The System .
                    As we all know, it's hard to break the system.

Our system, the great Apolytonian Democracy, is converging towards a centralized bureaucracy, and it's has always been the ministers fault. All ministers should have their constitutionalized duties, but not only that!

*pointing at a president picture in a newspaper*
                    They should be working together to build the strongest democracy in our world. By promoting the will of their people!

In the planning/polling threads and turn chats, the City Planner should be aware of this, and follow the democratic principle.
                    As an in game solo-planning event from his side, with sad consequences, could cause a revolting opposition.
                    We also need a new law to ratify the investigation and impeachment of such events. *raising a clenched fist into the air*

As a minister with respect for our democratic agenda, I would support such an opposition and support changes to our law.
                    You might perhaps call me a liberal-radical democrat?
                    To your question, I could have ran for the CP office as well as any others.

Comment

Eh, my point is:
                      I think the demo-game role playing part is as cool as anything else, and that's where i've been most active.
                      The in-game decisions and execution is important too, and should be tied close togheter with the RPG-part.

Comment

Dudha, why aren't you running for foreign minister instead? Bullying other nations for tech is a Foreign Minister position, not a Science Minister position.
                        Mabye you misinterpreted my post. I want to make the MoS a strong position by fully fufilling the role described in the CoL and bring attention to our scientific needs. By bully I did not mean in foreign affiars but in domestic affiars (and not really even in domestic issues because bully does not create an enviornment for discussion. This was just my attempt to throw the Hawk character into the job)

How will you make this a position of power? Do you have specific plans, and do those plans comply with the CoL? Based on your opening sentences, how can we be sure you will not stand in the way of scientific development, which you see as for the weak?
                        I will push our scientist like they have never been pushed before. Wipping, tortue and murder are not beyond my abilities. Beware scientists! I will make you work!

I will be an active in the community, unlike the last term. I will continue the Area 25 threads, make plans, ask suggestions, and PM the other ministers on what Techs can be acquired from trade and how best to promote scientific development. My feeling is that the MoS last term did a good job gaining techs but did not facilitate discussion in the community.

My plans:
                        After Printing Press we should reaserch Banking (giving us an city improvement and access to Democracy and Economics)

once we get Banking I will make my decision based on public discussion, but right now I'm leaning towards Democracy to improve the efficacy of our government. By working with the foreign minister I will ensure that we do not waste time researching Techs we think we can get from other civs.

The strength I want to bring to the MoS is one that will strongly support the democratic institutions which make our country strong. The ministry is not one for those who have not shown a long and strong commitment to the game and community.
                        Last edited by Duddha; October 10, 2002, 19:32.
                        Free California!

Comment

I would also like to mention that under my rule the Province of El Nino completed not one but TWO wonders in the provincial capitol Ubergorsk.....and Godking had nothing to do with it
                          Free California!

Comment

After Printing Press we should reaserch Banking (giving us an city improvement and access to Democracy and Economics)

once we get Banking I will make my decision based on public discussion, but right now I'm leaning towards Democracy to improve the efficacy of our government. By working with the foreign minister I will ensure that we do not waste time researching Techs we think we can get from other civs.
                            You are part of the Hawk party (yes I am bringing parties into this). The Hawk party has gotten a reputation for being wartmongers (gasp! ). What civs do you think we should go to war with in the near future? do you see yourself supporting a war with any civs if your party also supports it? The reason war is important to the MoS is because war effects research plans.

Okay. As I said a new Plan shall be unveiled. It will involve a mass construction of marketplaces and courthouses, as well as libraries. Whether or not I actually said anything to Unortho for the gazette, i also beleive Universities should play a role.

My second objective will be to write a tech guide to the Industrial age, which is not as far away as we might think.
                            I like the tech guide idea. Could you please be more specific with tech research plans. We need more!
                            For your photo needs:
                            http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

You are part of the Hawk party (yes I am bringing parties into this). The Hawk party has gotten a reputation for being wartmongers (gasp! ). What civs do you think we should go to war with in the near future? do you see yourself supporting a war with any civs if your party also supports it? The reason war is important to the MoS is because war effects research plans.
                              I am a Hawk. I support a war with France sooner rather than later, only when we're prepared ofcourse. Past that I'm not decided. I support my party but ulimately make my own decisions. If many hawks were pressing for a war against a major power like Greece, and I thought it would harm our ability to research, as MoS I would warn against war. Sometimes war can be benificial for science, when we force techs out of an enemy in a peace deal.

More details about my plan:

I will persue Banking after printing press assuming we are able to acquire Gunpowder from another civ.
                              Last edited by Duddha; October 11, 2002, 00:23.
                              Free California!

Comment

Working...
                              X