Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National survey: Should citynames be nicknames?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apocalypse
    I will probably go to the Virginia Military Institute next year.
    Really? A close friend of my little brother was a cadet there until he decided to switch services and go into the Navy (dunno exactly why).
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Strange....VMI has all three branches of ROTC. Don't see why he'd need to leave.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
        Strange....VMI has all three branches of ROTC. Don't see why he'd need to leave.
        He's enrolling in the Naval Academy in Annapolis if I recall correctly... he'd have to leave if he wanted to do that. I'm not sure about that, but I think that's what I remember him telling us.
        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
          Timeline was an egoist, we all know that.
          When I voted for him, I was looking at his nice ideals in which i agreed with. I did not realize that a city would be called Timeline.

I think our friend Timeline is a nice guy , but that cityname was not neccessary.
          My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

It might be interesting if our capital worked like Leningrad and the first part changed to the name of our current president.

Timelinegrad
            Ninotgrad
            Mistergrad
            Opedgrad
            Banditgrad............

Comment

Hmm... Ghengis, look. OPD (no offense) just does'nt look like a cityname. You see, you had to spell it "opedgrad".

That's been the point all the way. We already have cities
              with abbreviations. And that's what I want to get rid of.
              My conclusion: A nick is one thing, a city is another .
              My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

I agree that some nicks don't work for city names but to dictate that no citizen's name may be used for a city seems somewhat extreme. Tassagrad and Ghengistown sound perfectly fine to me, as I often name cities after a GL or event or nearby landmark.

Historically, most cities and places are named after individuals: Washington DC, Lincoln NE, Virginia, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Rome, Constantine, Alexandria, Ceasarea, Williamsburg, Jamestown, and after a group of people: Paris, Britain, England, France, and Germany etc.

To say that no city can be named after a derivation of a citizens name takes away one of the things that makes the Democracy game enjoyable. The fact that members can pretend they are a part of this imaginary world and we are part of the civilization we are building.

The tradition of allowing ministers to name a city is the ONLY way we have been able to successfully generate city names. I have had a poll up for name suggestions for a week and how many city names suggestions did I get?

Four people legitimately suggested a city be renamed to a name they submitted. Only one, "Toyota City" was seconded. A few people just threw out names, but many were simply jokes they were making. You suggested ONE name for AGC and none for these cities you rant about. Did you suggest an alternate for Timeline? No.

The only other possibilities I see are to:
                1) Assign an office holder the power of city naming or create a city naming post.
                2) Leave the names the computer assigns cities and allow NO ONE to change them.
                3) Same as 2, but allow each minister to name one city.

Comment

I like n° 2, with two minor adjustments :

- Each minister names one city by term as a reward for being elected ;

- If conquered cities are renamed, the capital is not ; keeping the historical name shows that the empire is made of several formerly independant kingdoms, eventually united under the Empire banner.
                  Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                  X