Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National survey: Should citynames be nicknames?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National survey: Should citynames be nicknames?

The cities of Apolytonia has indeed a lot of strange names.
    Now, there are discussions about changes... Read it!
    But now I ask you my fellow countrymen:
    No matter how stupid they might sound,
    Should our nicknames be used as citynames?
    Aye
    41.94%
    Nay
    51.61%
    They should at least involve these characters: {B,a,n,a,n,a,} , also meaning No
    6.45%

The poll is expired.

My words are backed with hard coconuts.

IMHO our cities should have names that everyone can sympathize with, meaning no nicknames.
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Error in set {B,a,n,a,n,a,} By the math rule this set is actually
      {B,a,n} since there are more than one occurence of n and a .
      Sorry, my mistake!
      My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

I say if a person named it, no matter what that name be, it would be an insult to that person to change it.

Thus leave it alone.

If not named by anyone, we have no reason to not change it. Thus post for ideas, and go ahead.

Once a perminent name is decided upon, it should not be changed. Period. THIS HAS CAUSED CONFUSION IN OUR ORDERS (which if you don't know is a bad thing).

The only reason I could see changing a perminant name is if the person was disgraced and the city name change is part of his punishment, as determined by the courts.
        If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

GK,

We could always allow current nick-inspired city names to be grandfathered and simply disallow them in the future. Future ministers might complain, but that's just tough.
          Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
          Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
          7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Future is future. I am not concerned so much with them, as I am sure that whatever occures will be reasonable fair and just. I am conserned with preserving our history.
            If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

sure. names like tassagrad and ubergorsk are far better than many of the other names. timeline may going a little too far, but we elected them, so allow them to name cities whatever they like

Comment

You bet.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I do think there is something a little tacky about naming cities after various people... buuut then, where do you think state-names like Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Maryland came from?

In any case, if we are going to allow ministers to name cities, which is the precedent, they should be allowed to name it pretty much whatever they want. And I am definitely opposed to changing any names now, it's just too much trouble.

But in the next game, I think a more democratic process should be established; or a method used to name them which will allow for more consistency within the names. For the sake of role-playing.
                  Minister of the Economy: Term IV, V
                  Ministre d'Économie: Session IV, V
                  Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there aren't people following me!
                  Même si je suis paranoïde, ça n'exige pas qu'il n'y a pas de gens qui me suivent!

Comment

Back in the day (late July I think), I was wondering what to name my city. Many people actually supported something that had to do with my name. I settled on Geofront though.
                    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Timeline was an egoist, we all know that.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I remember when a certain city was going to be named Uberosk but it was decided that wasn't correct Russian.
                        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                          I remember when a certain city was going to be named Uberosk but it was decided that wasn't correct Russian.
                          i forgot the g i was copying it from the city "Magnetogorsk" from civ2, and i assumed the g was in the first portion of the word.

"I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Reddawg
                            I do think there is something a little tacky about naming cities after various people... buuut then, where do you think state-names like Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Maryland came from?
                            Speaking of which...

Reddawg, I know you're a student at UVA, but what is your original hometown (or at least where did you go to high school)? I'm living in NoVA, as my 'loc' indicates

Also speaking of which...

I believe we should jointly lobby for a city to be named after either a city or landmark in the glorious Commonwealth or should be named after the Commonwealth itself! You know the poem about what it is "to be a Virginian", no? (chuckle)
                            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

I will probably go to the Virginia Military Institute next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X