Do we want GA now poll(Official)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we want GA now poll(Official)

Do we want a Golden Age during the American War or a Golden Age later.
    Aggie
    Yes
    34.88%
    No
    65.12%

The poll is expired.

The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Technically... we're not at war (yet). Your poll should be: "Do we want one ASAP or later".
    Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Actually, Aggie's wording is better as it allows the option of starting the Golden Age for not only the beginning of the campaign, but also at the end of the campaign.

Edit addition:

(This wording would clearly allow for a vote on should we have the Golden Age during the war with the French , English or latter without being the repoll a wording like ASAP would be.)
      Last edited by joncnunn; October 9, 2002, 16:25.
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I vote No

I rather expand our infrastructure through our own development and not through a GA. I don't think it will help much right now. Plus, we might need the GA for a major conflict.

Comment

No GA for now, i explained myself in the discussion thread-
          Save the rainforests!
          Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

Reasons for my Yes vote on in the discussion thread above, but the summary is that:

1. War Chariots become weaker over time.
            2. Inferstructure is a moving target.

Not quite as clear is that I prefer the Golden Age to start as the American war is ending instead of at it's beginning (a difference of one or two turns which would allow the most critical buildings to be rushed prior to it starting.)

The primary effect of delaying a golden age 20+ turns over this period is that our science research stays non-existant, and we may be beat out even to the Printing Press. The secondary effects is that our inferstructure takes longer to build (especally Forbidden Palace)
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I have to agree with the consensus here. Our cities just aren't ready to give us the boost a GA would allow us.
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

For all of you people voting No: Are in favor of a war with France to get us a GA at the magical GA perfection moment in the vague future?

Because if you're not in favor of war, then you're not in favor of delaying our GA for some point after America. GA's are started during wars. We're foolish if we think we're going to build Hoover's before anyone without a GL, and GLs come from wars, too.

If this vote results in a NO vote, it gives the government carte blanche to declare war on France at any point beyond the 20 turns we negotiated with them for peace to have a Golden Age. It assumes that said war won't be more than 5 turns, and that the French won't have Musketeers to start up their own GA, and that we can beat them anyhow with War Chariots.

That is, if anyone would ever agree that any time is the right time for a GA. *sigh*

--Togas
                Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
                Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
                Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Togas- we can always have our WC's attack some of france's warriors, that would give us the desired GA, and if we have 20 turns until the war, we should be able to finish it quickly enough, while still greatly improving the infrastructure, in any case, we shouldn't have a GA now, because it won't be too hard to spark it some time later (like in a war with france) and right now is really not the right time- we havn't even seriously started building the improvements.
                  Save the rainforests!
                  Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

Originally posted by Togas
                    If this vote results in a NO vote, it gives the government carte blanche to declare war on France at any point beyond the 20 turns we negotiated with them for peace to have a Golden Age. It assumes that said war won't be more than 5 turns, and that the French won't have Musketeers to start up their own GA, and that we can beat them anyhow with War Chariots.
                    It does nothing of the sort. The government would still, as required by the CoL, have to conduct an official poll on declaring war against France in order to have authorization to do so. The people voting no on this vote would then be able to vote no on that one. While that would certainly FURTHER delay our GA, there may be people who want to do that.

Though I'm not one of them, I can certainly see why many would support such a plan.
                    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Why don't we start a similar official poll for switching to Republic this turn?
                      I have calculated that under Republic, our income would rise to approximately 155 gpt. Also, no cities will go into disorder, and since we have so many luxuries and we're going to build marketplaces in our major cities as preparation for the GA, we shouldn't expect civil disorder in the foreseeable future either.
                      The only exception to this is the towns on Uber Isle. If we rush the temples on Uber Isle this turn and keep the population below 3 until we can connect them to the trade network we should be fine.
                      Can any of the ministers start an official poll on that?
                      "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                      And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                      Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Shiber I don't know who can start a government change poll. Thats why i haven't done it yet, but one word of caution I believe the 3week period would apply if defeated. Still I think anyone could start one if they think there is the 2/3 required to pass.
                        Aggie
                        The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I remember voting in a poll to switch to Republic after the war with Persia was done recently which the Pro-Republic forces won. (It may have been an unoffical one though.)

It started a couple of days before the poll on war with America.

Edit: Here's the link to that poll

Last edited by joncnunn; October 9, 2002, 17:30.
                          Templar Science Minister

Comment

Zeit, the problem with war with France in 20 turns is that I'm not sure a war with France will be short enough to avoid war werriousness which we will want to avoid during the Golden Age more than any other time frame.

For anybody wishing to attack England in 20 turns instead, my objection is the same.
                            Templar Science Minister

Comment

Under Republic war weariness isn't so bad. In any case, we'll have marketplaces in our crowded cities by then and with so many luxuries (5 luxuries produce 9 happy faces after marketplace) we won't have to worry about war weariness from 5 turns of war.
                              "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                              And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                              Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Working...
                              X