No announcement yet.

Recon of Boston and options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on this evidence I Have decided we will wait for the knights to get there. Ghengis is correct that there is a chance the aztecs could take the defenders, and actually with the timeing we now have is perfect, we can attack with the 2knights the very turn after the aztecs have launched the first attack. I hope the aztects win both battles then we only have to take one units, but no matter we will have at the worst 2knightsvs 1reg spear(3/3) and 1reg spear(?/3), we can win that fight. Also since the aztecs will attack they will be weakened and unable to attack immediately with anything other thanthe archer army, which will NEVER be ablle to get to NY. Once again the banana has smiled upon us.
    Aggie
    The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I don't like the idea of having a GA whilst we're not fully ready for it. If the Aztecs take Bostin, so what? If we don't flip it as Arnelos suggests (an idea I like, BTW), it gives one more Aztec city close enough to take quickly in the even to of a future war. Remember Germany - when we attacked France and they roped both Germany and Persia into attacking us? Germany was defeated and humiliated with a GPT peace deal because we quicly took out Munich (I think that was the city). We could do the same with the Aztecs' American cities. And if WE initiate the war, we could take these easily and get a favourable peace whilst regrouping.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

-deleted, nevermind-
        "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
        And the truth isn't what you want to see,
        Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

options

if I remember the save correctly, we have four war chariots stage at the border, why not use them to stall the advance of the army (essentially just put them in the way)? If the army chose instead to take to the mountains beside boston, it would give it an advantageous attack position that would make it more likely to win both battles because of its defensive bonus from there. Then we sweep in behind them and clean up with knights.
          Last edited by ruby_maser; October 9, 2002, 12:08.
          "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi

Comment

We need the Golden Age + Republic to boot-strap our inferstructure.

When this is done, we can probably immedately set science to 20% to cut down some turns until Printing Press is complete. The Golden Age should result in us only needing 10% luxaries instead of 20% that Republic alone would require while happiness improvements are being built.

Court Houses, Market Places, Catherdrials, and Libaries are all then rushed. (With at least 1 turn normal building to eliminate the 2X cost of not starting yet.)

When enough of the Market Places are complete, science rate is bumbed up again so that the next Minister of Science has a more powerful position.
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Ruby_maser's plan is excellent, enter the war, put the chariot south of the mountain. That will force the aztecs to move their army onto the mountain (or less likely go around us) and give 1 extra turn.

The next turn the army will attack twice then no matter what we do. (2 move armies do blitz, I use armies of calvary that can attack 3 times a turn all the time) The horseman will probally attack next turn no matter what we do. The army will probally win at least one of its battles (maybe both if its not hurt much on the 1st). So they may take chicago in 2 turns, but if the army or the regular horseman either one loses, it'll take them 3 turns. If we don't move in their way, then they'll possibly take it in 2 turns. (army + horseman attack next turn, leaving 1 spear, either could finish it next turn)

So the question is can we get our knights there to capitalize on the weakened city in that time frame?

Comment

How on earth will the Aztec be able to take a city defended by three spear in two turns if they are only capable of one successful attack? 3-1=2. Even in the unlikely event that the single horseman has a successful in its attack, it will still take a minumum of 3 turns. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE for the Aztecs to take Boston in two turns.
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Looking at what Boston is producing several turns into a war, is it any wonder they are losing?

Wervdon, if the Golden Age during the American war fails (which unforunately it looks like will happen), the War Chariots will have to be kept out of the American theatre until upgraded to Knights to prevent a court case.

(AI loves to attack offensive units like War Chariots and a successful defense would go against the poll.)
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

How on earth will the Aztec be able to take a city defended by three spear in two turns if they are only capable of one successful attack? 3-1=2. Even in the unlikely event that the single horseman has a successful in its attack, it will still take a minumum of 3 turns. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE for the Aztecs to take Boston in two turns.

That's absolutely right deonegeal, they can't take it in less then 3 turns, and even if they take 1 spear the next turn, Boston (assuming their turn comes after the Aztecs) will have the city switch to spear, so by the time they attack with the army they'll have 3 spearmen there (otherwise only 2). And besides we have 3 knights (not only 2) that can attack them in 3 turns, just the critical time, after the Aztecs weakened Boston before their army and archers can take it.

We can send the WC in, just not attack with them, or defend with them, if we don't we have a risk that an Aztec horseman will block our way, and we couldn't attack it with knights in 3 turns.
                    Save the rainforests!
                    Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

Re: options

Originally posted by ruby_maser

if I remember the save correctly, we have four war chariots stage at the border, why not use them to stall the advance of the army (essentially just put them in the way)?
                      Nice idea for strategy. I've used delay tactics like that many times in my games, to different degrees of success. It seems however that we may not have to do that after all, though.
                      Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                      Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

If our WC is attacked by the Americans and survives one attack it trigures a Golden Age just like attacking with it would, and it looks like we won't have authorization to trigue one now.
                        Templar Science Minister

Comment

That's indeed a risk, but it doesn't seem like the Americans have any offensive unit nearby, so we can at least move the WC north, so that the horsemen, can't possibly attack Boston from thesouth and survive, thus blocking our 3 knights that are on their way, for an attack from the south.
                          Save the rainforests!
                          Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

Re: options

Originally posted by ruby_maser

if I remember the save correctly, we have four war chariots stage at the border, why not use them to stall the advance of the army (essentially just put them in the way)? If the army chose instead to take to the mountains beside boston, it would give it an advantageous attack position that would make it more likely to win both battles because of its defensive bonus from there. Then we sweep in behind them and clean up with knights.
                            This got me thinking and I think that I've come up with an elegant solution. Please note the screen shot:

It will take until turn 2 before the first Knights are ready to attack Boston, so I propose this:

Turn 0 (490AD) move the WC's that are on the border to the Red X'ed (and maybe the Blue one too) positions to block the Aztecs from advancing along that route. At the same time, Rush everything that we need to (temples mostly & Arbela Cathedral). We will also have to sell America Theology and make the Alliance Deal with the Aztecs this turn. We will be at war! Bring the Knights closer to the front.

Turn 1 (500AD) Change to Republic, making sure that any large cities don't go into Civil Unrest. Advance the Knights to Boston's doorstep, they will be ready to attack next turn. The SMC might also want to attack with the WC's, depending on what the Aztecs do, but we should be aright (Imploring ther Great Banana, Incense buring in the background).

Turns 2-4 (510 - 540AD) Take Boston & Trigger our GA.

This will give us a full 20 turns of GA, Republic & a very short War so War Weariness won't affect us greatly. By the end of the GA, we should be on the way to being the greatest Nation in Anabanana.

E_T
                            Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                            Worship the Comic here!
                            Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                              If our WC is attacked by the Americans and survives one attack it trigures a Golden Age just like attacking with it would, and it looks like we won't have authorization to trigue one now.
                              I would argue that since the poll was being conducted to see if we could give the SMC specific authorization to attack using WCs, that a failure of the poll does not necessarily stop him from using them in a manner other than attacking, especially one as non-combative as using them to block Aztec units (with which we are not at war) to attack an American city.

Especially if this is immediately followed up by an attack by non-WC units, it would not be the SMC's fault if the computer stupidly attacked the WCs while the AI is obviously better off just keeping his spearmen fortified inside his capital city.

If the issue needs to be further clarified, however, we could always conduct a second (and emergency) poll asking whether the WCs can be used in this, non-combative manner.

The entire problem with holding a poll about when we will have our GA is that it assumes we actually have full control over when we have our GA... something which is not always true.
                              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

One note: armies can blitz. If you look in your civ3mod.bic, you'll see it has the blitz ability. I've seen they can blitz myself (man, that cavalry army was nice. ). Currently, armies only have the abilities of the army unit. This is why marine armies are essentially useless (they aren't amphibious).

So, it is possible the Aztecs could take Boston in two turns, if they move both the army and the lone horseman on to the mountain this turn. However, I don't know if the AI is willing to attack with armies in the yellow or red, so it may be three or four turns.

Comment

Working...
                                X