Emergency cabinet meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency cabinet meeting

Ok I guess you've all had a look at the the save and can see the situation with arabela. We have spices in the city and aren trading them around. However it is apparent that the chance of a culture flip to england is very likely given the amount of squares occupied by england and the proximity to london.

It goes w/o saying that should we loose the city and the spices our reputation would be permenatly damaged to the point where we could no longer trade to other civs in GPT. Such a situation would IMHO be worse than loosing our four core cities or even worse than loosing Ubergorsk.

The situation is grave IMO all we can do is sit and wait untill we can grow arabalas culture or wait out the 20 turns.

However in the meantime we must act to lessen the chance of a culture flip. All ministers must concentrate on this as it is so pressing a matter.

Arabela is currenlty a 5 with pretty much all of its surrounding squares being english and their capital only 1 city away.

In the last chat a temple was rushed there and 2 wkrs were moved into the city so as to give us a chance to get WLTK day.

I call on all ministers and in particular the CP to draw up a course of action regarding the Arabela situation.

I'm not sure what the requirements are for WLTK day all I know is that it lessens the chance of a flip. All ministers and citizens are called upon to save the city from a flip. Even a slight chance that the city could flip is too much.

opd
    Are we having fun yet?

we must build 10 knights and send them there.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Sounds like you've already done everything you can to keep it from flipping.

We could station (and risk) a large number of military units there, or sack London. Neither of these seem like viable options.

We could rush another culture producing structure, like a Library.

Diplomatically, I'll be very dissapointed if the city flips and we lose the luxury and trades. It's not as bad as losing Ubergorsk, though. Fear not. We have a strong culture. Of course, it would help if we got our capital/FP situation established.

--Togas
      Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
      Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
      Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
      Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Arbela is 9 squares away from London. Arbela has a population of 5, so just bringing it up to 6 will give it WLKD. We have a Temple there and we can Rush a Library and then a Cathedral. We shouldn't outright but them without atleast one turn each of production as the cost is doubled when no production has been done on it at all. It has a culture of 2 now and will expand in 4 turns. It will expand in three ONLY if we rush the library now, but we should still wait and rush next turn. With the three Culture producing Improvements, it should get to 100 (level 3) in a fairly quick time. Also, by that time, it should have some of our Citizens helping to keep it with us.

E_T
        Come and see me at WePlayCiv
        Worship the Comic here!
        Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

We should be able to rush another culture (cathedral) buiding there, instead of rushing a marketplace someplace else, this would cost some decent amount of lytons, but it's worth it.

And as Uber said, we should garrison as much units as we can, although if the city defects, we lose them, the damage of losing it far excels the loss of units.
          Save the rainforests!
          Join the us today and say NO to CIV'ers chopping jungles

Comment

I can tell you all now the the financial situation in our nation is very tight; it's not that we're poor, it's that there are many requests (urgent or not, depending on who you ask) all across the board. Upon looking at the save, there is however enough cause for, and enough money to spare, rushing the library in Arbela. That's the MoE stance on this matter; ask me later about a cathedral
            Minister of the Economy: Term IV, V
            Ministre d'Économie: Session IV, V
            Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there aren't people following me!
            Même si je suis paranoïde, ça n'exige pas qu'il n'y a pas de gens qui me suivent!

Comment

The problem wiht the city is that even with high culture it will still have some square taken by the english as there cities are so close. Chartes only had three squares of ours and was about the same distance to our capital. Although this should not discourade us from rushing culture although not from scratch.

good thread on flipping
              Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Chartres flipped because out culture is TITANIC compared to France. Our culture is much larger than England's. Rush a Cathedral and station some troops there.

Building Knights to sit and collect dust seems to be a waste of military strength though. Any military unit should work.

A temple and 'Sistined' cathedral will definitely put it in a We Love OPD Day once it is size 6.

Comment

Libraries and Cathedrals produce the sme amount of culture and cost the same to rush, but if we were to wait one turn then rush, I would say Cathedral as if we want WLTK day, it also makes 6 pop content.

Rushing after one turn of production is a must.
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Now, this is really an emergency!

As an exception, I will advise you to go for UberKrux suggestion.
                    Send 10 knights. Have 20 in backup. Don't forget pikers!

I am not bloodthirsty, but flipping really pisses me off...
                    My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

All 5 that are now in the city are all very Happy, so the sixth shouldn't have any problems. Rushing a Cathedral would be good, as we will be going to Republic shortly. Then we can rush a Library there as soon as the MoE releases the funds.

[tongue in cheek]
                      We can always take Oxford & Hastings away from the English, then there wouldn't be anymore English cultural pressure on Arbela.
                      [/tongue]

E_T
                      Come and see me at WePlayCiv
                      Worship the Comic here!
                      Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

Originally posted by E_T
                        We can always take Oxford & Hastings away from the English, then there wouldn't be anymore English cultural pressure on Arbela.
                        Yes, this is the best solution.

Comment

Originally posted by E_T
                          Arbela is 9 squares away from London. Arbela has a population of 5, so just bringing it up to 6 will give it WLKD. We have a Temple there and we can Rush a Library and then a Cathedral. We shouldn't outright but them without atleast one turn each of production as the cost is doubled when no production has been done on it at all. It has a culture of 2 now and will expand in 4 turns. It will expand in three ONLY if we rush the library now, but we should still wait and rush next turn. With the three Culture producing Improvements, it should get to 100 (level 3) in a fairly quick time. Also, by that time, it should have some of our Citizens helping to keep it with us.

E_T
                          Adding 1 pop should be done immediately with a [native] worker if that will speed the increase the WLKD will halve the likelihood of flipping. I'm not sure if there have been in changes to the culture flipping equation but the change in likelhood of flipping in the eqaution I saw only changed when the new civs culture in the city exeeded the old culture's in the city again beeing halved. Since the computer probably never built a cultural inprovement there, one improvemrnt willl sufficece. If Apolonia is religious but not scientific I'd build a temple, else build a library. This should buy enough time to eat America, burp, then take Hastings & York and sack London.

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                            we must build 10 knights and send them there.
                            Do we have some leftover spearmen & warriors to garrison Arabela?
                            Last edited by realpolitic; October 12, 2002, 16:06.

Comment

We can use the forces near that area to help. We could build some wc's and send them there until they are upgraded. Also is the talk of attacking england real, if so I'll present my plan for "Operation Royalty Fall aka "BYE BYE LIZ". As SMC its my job to have have such a plan on short notice. Personally I would discourage such an attack however if we need to station large # of troops in that area then we might as well attack. the plan for the record is for a 5knight attack on oxford and another 5 knight attack on Coventry(to get another wine) and ofcourse another 5knight attack on hastings, if we could wait until we have 20knights a10knight force could attack hastings and then york(the attack would end when the english offered peace, this is NOT a war of conquest). This attack would leaves us with 3 border cities in the east as opposed to 5 we now have(mainly oxford forces a larger defense of tarsus and muncie).
                              Aggie
                              Last edited by Aggie; October 9, 2002, 01:11.
                              The 5th President, 2nd SMC and 8th VP in the Civ3 Demogame. Also proud member of the GOW team in the PTW game. Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Working...
                              X